Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Calling for Newbies

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Calling for Newbies

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

If you are a newbi to elk calling you need to understand the reasons why elk come to calling. Every calling sequence you perform should target one of these reasons. Many have been discussed in past threads so I've condensed them down to 7 bulleted points. They are,

1) Elk are curious.
2) Elk are social and herd animals.
3) Bulls would rather you go to them.
4) All bulls have the instinct to rut.
5) Bulls will try to keep every cow.
6) Bulls will try gain any cow but not at the risk of loosing one of their own.
7) Herd bulls can be challenged for dominance, but only when you're within their comfort zone

Questions, comments, or additions? Let's hear your thoughts!
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Elk Calling for Newbies

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Good points John.
I will add that it is important to make your calls fit the situation. In heavily hunted places the elk are all well educated on humans calling. In those areas it is absolutely critical to know what you are communicating to the elk. If you are trying to peak a bull's curiosity, don't over do it. Just plant the idea there is another bull in the area, move away a few yards and wait. Be patient.
Next.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Z Barebow » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I think if we thought about these fundamentals before a calling sequence, our choice on what to say and when to see it is much clearer. Excellent post! (I'll be adding these notes to the back of my "ElkNut Playbook"!)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Anyone else....don't be shy? If you agree or disagree I want to hear your thoughts. Newbies, does this help or confuse you?

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Learn to make the basic elk sounds that will serve you well in the elk woods. You don't have to be perfect, but you must be able to clearly make these sounds in various situations. In his tips section above, Elknut1 offers that five basic sounds will serve a new, or for that matter, any hunter well. They are 1. cow/calf mews and chirps; 2. estrus buzz; 3. nervous grunts; 4. bull screams/challenge; and 5. location bugle. These are kind of the bread and butter of elk calling/vocalization for hunters. There are certainly other sounds that one should learn to understand, and, to make as your elk sound proficiency increases but knowing and being proficient in these five will serve you well. I would also offer that (expanding a bit on what Swede mentioned above) that understanding what you hear and what you're saying back is paramount! Here's one scenario where this philosophy can either make for a close encounter, possibly a successful kill, or leave you scratching your head. You locate a bull by using some sweet cow sounds and said bull responds you to with a bugle with chuckles. What is he asking for? If you understand what chuckles mean when given in response to your cow calls, you'll know how to respond. If bullwinkle is asking/demanding you to come to him, give him what he wants! Throwing back any type of bull sound can ruin this situation in "most" cases. Cool thread John.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby LarryBud » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Great Thread,

I'm planning my first elk hunt. It will be in N Colorado and expect plenty of company of both the two and four legged variety. I've been doing my homework and the local Game Warden has me focused of a drainage that is thick with dark timber, has no trails and " always has elk in it ". The drainage is about 2.5 miles long and 1 mile wide with steep walls. Mostly timber with some clearings. I expect a fair amount of water. It's a foot traffic only area. I'm there the second week of September for a MZ hunt. The Archers have been in the wood for a week already. Questions:

Do I start at the rim or down in the drainage?

Do I use a locator bugle or a cow mews & chirps first thing in the morning? I've been practicing with a Carlton Reed Call and think I cam mimic the real thing and demo calls pretty well. FYI. The GW says he doesn't even bring a bugle call when he hunts.

Advice?
LarryBud

Postby Buckeye » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

As a newbie I would say that this helps. I always liked the K.I.S.S. Theory ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) I try not overload myself with too much information until I have a good base to start with.
Buckeye

First Name: Adam
Last Name: Bucher

Postby Glacier Country » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:If you are a newbi to elk calling you need to understand the reasons why elk come to calling. Every calling sequence you perform should target one of these reasons. Many have been discussed in past threads so I've condensed them down to 7 bulleted points. They are,

1) Elk are curious.
7) Herd bulls can be challenged for dominance, but only when you're within their comfort zone

John, I guess our conversation helped inspire this thread.
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby Glacier Country » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

LarryBud wrote:Great Thread,

I'm planning my first elk hunt. It will be in N Colorado and expect plenty of company of both the two and four legged variety. I've been doing my homework and the local Game Warden has me focused of a drainage that is thick with dark timber, has no trails and " always has elk in it ". The drainage is about 2.5 miles long and 1 mile wide with steep walls. Mostly timber with some clearings. I expect a fair amount of water. It's a foot traffic only area. I'm there the second week of September for a MZ hunt. The Archers have been in the wood for a week already. Questions:

Do I start at the rim or down in the drainage?

Do I use a locator bugle or a cow mews & chirps first thing in the morning? I've been practicing with a Carlton Reed Call and think I cam mimic the real thing and demo calls pretty well. FYI. The GW says he doesn't even bring a bugle call when he hunts.

Advice?

Larry, if you are confident with your calls use them! The Game Warden probably is not a very good bugler if he does not pack a bugle in my experience! Start with a location bugle or a loud pitchy cow call if you are trying to locate from a distance. My high Heel Hottie bite call has brought in elk from probably over 1000 yards just from the 1st call while trying to locate them.
The wind and always the wind will dictate where you start your approach. Locate them ,get the wind in your face and beat feet to get close.Then let your calls do the trick.Also I know a 2 time World champion Elk Caller that now prefers my calls over the Carlton 2.5 he used to use. I had guys using my calls at the RMEF World elk calling event, and 1 placed 6th and 1 placed #2 in the Mens Div. Hope this helps --->Troy
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Glacier Country wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:If you are a newbi to elk calling you need to understand the reasons why elk come to calling. Every calling sequence you perform should target one of these reasons. Many have been discussed in past threads so I've condensed them down to 7 bulleted points. They are,

1) Elk are curious.

John, I guess our conversation helped inspire this thread.

Yes, you seemed impressed with my Elk 7 so I decided to share with others. At times I question my own logic and reasoning, but it's encouraging when a guy with your calling ability and calling background gives me a thumbs up.
JohnFitzgerald