Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bugling "consistency"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bugling "consistency"

Postby Moose Man » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

First and foremost, thanks for all the great insights on this site. My goodness. I'm new to elk hunting and having access to this wealth of knowledge is a privilege.

One thing that I've thought of as I'm practicing my calling is bugling "consistency". This might be a stupid question but based on what I've read/understood, elk in a certain area recognize the local bulls by their bugles. Say I enter an area and let out a location bugle, a local bull get curious (hopefully) as there's a new kid on the block. Assuming I'd do additional bugles after this (if scenario calls for it) how important is it to deliver the "same" bugle (tone/age) to maintain my "signature"? Put it a different way, would a bull get suspicious if the next bugle sounds very different?

I know I might be over thinking it but curious to know.

MM
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Re: Bugling "consistency"

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Good question Erik. For the most part, location bugles are just that. It's kind of a "hey, I'm here... are you there" thing. Somewhat of a social call bulls use to feel their oats and see who may be in their basin, draw, alder choked mountainside, etc.. If you receive a response to a location bugle (during the rut particularly), it's time to turn off your bugle and move towards the bull who answered you if you feel you have a good idea of where he is, or, where he may be going (dependent on the time of the day). As far as being busted for a "hey, you don't sound the same as you did last time", I wouldn't worry about that too much as when you get in closer to the bull who answered you, you probably won't be using the same type of bull sound anyway (location bugle). Remember what bulls are looking for during the rut.... COWS, period.

Here's a tip. You get an answer to your location bugle, or, hear a bull bugle unsolicited. Start working toward the bull using some excited cow sounds, ensuring you're working in with the wind in your favor. Stop occasionally, listen, and continue to move toward the bull. "Normally", the bull will give you an indicator (sounds) that he wants you to continue his way (after all, you're a cow).. this may be in the form of chuckles, or perhaps, even a tense scream saying "get over here now"! The locator bugle is a thing of the past. You must react to the situation at hand and understand what's going on. Sometimes a bull will work his way towards you but don't count on it. Many times, you've gotta get close, I mean within 70 yards or so. If ultimately, you figure out it's a herd bull who answered your initial call, you may end up taking the game up a notch and throwing out a challenging scream followed by a few wimpy (oh no, he's taking me) cow sounds "behind you" This, my friend, is the crux of the biscuit that most hunters don't get. Hope this helped, at least a little.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Good question Moose Man.

I agree with RJ. Don't worry about it too much, unless you're talking good bugling vs bad bugling. If that's the case, make sure you iron it out before you go. You have to sound decent but not perfect. On the flip side I've heard bulls sound so terrible that I thought they were other hunters.

Instead of perfecting a bugle to the level of competition, work on imitating sounds that compliment a bugle.(ie lip bawls, screams, chuckles, grunts, growls, nervous grunt). Out of place sounds are way more devastating than a blemished bugle.

Just my 2-cents.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

[quote="JohnFitzgerald"]Good question Moose Man.

I agree with RJ. Don't worry about it too much, unless you're talking good bugling vs bad bugling. If that's the case, make sure you iron it out before you go. You have to sound decent but not perfect. On the flip side I've heard bulls sound so terrible that I thought they other hunters.

quote]
Exactly.
Interestingly, if you try to sound the same way each time and end up getting busted by a bull, chances are that bull will not respond to you again. That's one of the problems that is inherent with fixed reed calls that sound the same way each and every time. They may sound cool, but the elk begin to recognize the sound as you and will shut up when they hear it. Inflection is, I believe, one of the most important parts of calling elk. Sounding needy, whiney, like you're nervous, scared, or pissed will get more responses than a perfect 3 note.
Bullnuts

Postby Moose Man » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Whilst new, another thing I fully agree on is adapting to the situation and the playbook has helped a lot! The question was something that popped up as I was watching one of the "worse than wolves" dvds. I've been working on my calling, at least the "basic" sounds for a while now so I'll post some recordings for feedback shortly.

Thanks again

Hj.
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

If you want to see how effective bad calling is, watch a little TV hunting. Most of those guys sound about as bad as anyone I've ever heard and they still get an occasional bull to answer. :roll:
Bullnuts

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Look forward to hearing your progress.

One final thought, make sure you understand when and where to use the different sounds. As you mentioned, Paul's Playbook is a great place to find the information. In the preseason, I like to write down possible calling sequences that I might use for bugle chasing and/or cold call setups. In the heat of the moment you don't always have time to reason things out. A cheat sheet that defines "If this then I'll do that" is a valuable tool to have in your pocket.

Just my 2-cents
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Here is another diminution to consider. Sometimes a bull will answer one type of call and not another. By "type" I mean a small bull sound vs. a large one or even a cow sound. You can try different sounds to see if you can pick up a response. Don't try to throw the whole kitchen sink worth of calls into one area. If you believe there are bulls in an area start with one bugle and stay around with that call for about an hour. If that does not work, move away and try another size bull, diaphragm in the same general area. Sometimes elk will respond to one call and not another.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Paul's Playbook? Can someone fill me in on where I can find this? Very new to elk hunting and I really have know clue where to even start?

Is the beginners calling kits that are advertised on this site a good places to start as far as purchasing a set of quality calls? I live in Ohio so our choices of elk hunting gear... is about zero! :?
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Swede - That is exactly why I highly recommend the location bugle for locating elk. No ago can be determined and is a great way to provoke a response.

Kevrod3-

ElkNut's Playbook: http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok ... y=PlayBook

Some Combo Packages: http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok ... y=PACKAGES

Also, give Paul(aka ElkNut) a call. He'll be more than willing to guide you in the right direction.

Contact Info: http://stores.elknut.com/-strse-templat ... s/Page.bok
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Hey thanks John!!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Postby twinkieman » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Don't stop with just the playbook, get Sounds By The Elk, and the dvd series, put in your time and learn what Paul teaches. It becomes lethal to elk! :!:
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson