Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lip Bawl, When To Use It!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lip Bawl, When To Use It!

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

OK hunters, I receive lots of questions on what sound or bugle to use in an effort to call a herd bulls cows from him? Some may feel it's an array of cow sounds or location bugles or maybe cow sounds & bull sounds mixed in-between? The all around best way to trip a bulls anger trigger is to use the Lip Bawl Bugle Sound to do this! This is a sound that should be used in Breeding Sequences or in an actual encounter where you are within the 100yd "comfort Zone" of the herd bull & harem. This is the actual sound intruder bulls would use to call his cows away without needing to fight for them, of course any herd bull worth his salt will not stand for you being so brash right in his face & he will most likely explode into a rage. This Lip Bawl can also be used along with a cow sound after a herd bull bugles or chuckles your cow sounds.

This is especially so as cows are nearing or in Estrus! This sound should not be used just anywhere but it's best used with aggressive vocal herd bulls, this means just because a bull has cows doesn't imply you use a Lip Bawl on him because your odds of success are low to fire him up when no cows are in or near estrus, timing & closeness is everything here! Nothing written in stone here but play the odds. There are better methods to pull that herd bull in when cows are not nearing estrus! This bull should be played using the curiosity card for best results when this is the case! Listen to these Lip Bawls by real bulls from the Sounds By The Elk CD.

ElkNut1
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Chapter 05 Lip Bawl Bugle-2.mp3 [ 687.47 KiB | Viewed 8972 times ]

ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Lip Bawl, When To Use It!

Postby JGH » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Anyone else have trouble opening the file? I see lots of hits on this thread, but no replies. Odd, as it sounds like it'd be great info.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

John, of course it's good info! (grin) Click on this part of the link under the gray box then check the box that says "Open With". Chapter 05 Lip Bawl Bugle-2.mp3

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ctdad » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I just read this. Very good stuff. However, on my phone I don't see a file to open.
ctdad

Postby Vanish » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Dang that's a silly sounding bugle :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby twinkieman » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

When you hear a real bull make this call up close, it makes the hair on the back of your neck standup!
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby LarryBud » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have trouble with running out of air when I try to practice. Seems like the flapping of the lips cost me too much breath.

Any advice?
LarryBud

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

So how do I decide that the time is right to use this? Say I've located, closed the distance, and need to make a move...what do you look for that says "insert lip bawl here"?
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby MT_Nate » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I would say "look for" item 3.

1. You've located;
2. You're within 100 yards;
3. Other tactics (threat, estrous cow, etc.) have failed and you need to bring the bull to you;
4. Insert Lip Bawl here.

I always figure that using the lip bawl on a shy bull or other satellite bull will likely send them away...the lip bawl is a a last resort. The lip bawl, in my experience, has brought responses from bulls (even from a distance) that wasn't elicited with other calls. It was the only call that returned a vocal response from the bull.
MT_Nate

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Guys, don't over think this simple sound or any other sound that elk use for communication purposes. The Lip Bawl as we all have come to know this sound by is one both satellites & herd bulls alike use, it simply is talking to the cows, this can be used by bulls who have cows & ones who desire cows that already have some & bulls that do not. Satellite bulls are known for getting close to a herd especially as cows show signs of estrus or coming into heat as it were to do their best at calling cows their way from the herd bull thus avoiding confrontation.

The sounds I shared above are the very ones bulls use to do this! If you are working close into a herd bull & he is bugling aggressively that is a great time to use it. This isn't a sound we generally use on a daily basis but it has its moment! (grin) The same as using it in a breeding sequence, this is merely a bull trying to maintain order within his harem, this is why it's a cow, spike or satellite enticer! Once in a great while a herd bull will follow his harem to such a breeding sequence but it cannot be counted on. This is all just food for thought how this sound applies in the elks world especially throughout all 4 phases of the rut!

p.s. It's a sound where a bull expects an immediate action from the cows he's calling or managing!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JJ Overkill » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 11]

funny, its the strange feeling ive talked to Paul about this before. ;). I tried to use this in a cold calling setup, calm cow sounds, (herd talk). introduce bull sounds from a distance ie. bugles, chuckles, pants. followed by exited cow sounds, herd bull ( me ) trying to keep control of my cows gives a lip bawl bugle, followed by chuckles. in an attempt to keep my cows.

the one thing with trying to copy this sequence is its more likely to draw smaller ( satellite) bulls. but I like using this call. it doesn't seem to common place. I have a good notion when to use this call on a herd bull. 100 max distance from herd. herd bull is/ has been pestered by satellites. I feel the goal is at this point to try an call the cows away from the herd bull, making the herd bull angry and steering him towards you .

this is my very brief interpretation of when to use this call

paul please correct me if im wrong about my way of thinking.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby msd1228 » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 12]

jerinmn wrote:funny, its the strange feeling ive talked to Paul about this before. ;). I tried to use this in a cold calling setup, calm cow sounds, (herd talk). introduce bull sounds from a distance ie. bugles, chuckles, pants. followed by exited cow sounds, herd bull ( me ) trying to keep control of my cows gives a lip bawl bugle, followed by chuckles. in an attempt to keep my cows.

the one thing with trying to copy this sequence is its more likely to draw smaller ( satellite) bulls. but I like using this call. it doesn't seem to common place. I have a good notion when to use this call on a herd bull. 100 max distance from herd. herd bull is/ has been pestered by satellites. I feel the goal is at this point to try an call the cows away from the herd bull, making the herd bull angry and steering him towards you .

this is my very brief interpretation of when to use this call

paul please correct me if im wrong about my way of thinking.

I've used that same sequence with a ton of success in the past, and I fully agree, its not something thats typically being done by others in the woods. I'm a huge proponent of painting a picture with my calling, something that not too many people seem to do. I do the same when I'm calling coyotes. My success rate in getting quiet bulls to fire up in the over hunted areas I've been hunting the last few years seems to be substantially higher than most. I read a lot of your posts and I find that we think the same on a lot of issues revolving around calling.
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Another thing to consider is that many bulls have no choice when it comes to lip bawls. You usually here this sound more often later on in the season, especially during the rut when herd bulls are being pestered by satellites. The reason for many of them is that they are getting hoarse and raspy from bugling so much. It is sort of like a person that yells too much at a football game and wakes up the next morning with a hoarse voice. I have heard bulls get so bugled out that they sound like a bellaring angus bull
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics