Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Raking techniques

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Raking techniques

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I can't recall raking ever discussed on the forum. So I thought it might be a good idea to let others know how you do it. I'll kick it off.

When I start out a raking sequence, I usually kick it off with a big bang or attention getter. I try to find a dead limb about the size of a softball bat. The first thing I do is haul off and smack a tree as hard as I can. I actually try to break the club in half. The next step is to start knocking small limbs off the tree followed by hard rubbing up and down on the bark of the tree. It all sounds very realistic. I don't pussy foot around with it. I want it to be heard a long distance away and I'm very aggressive with it. Sometimes I do a little foot stomping along with it as well as a little hucking. But not always with the stomps and hucks.

How do the rest of you do it? Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you know what hucking is? LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Raking techniques

Postby cnelk » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Im a raking fan.

I will do raking/stomping in cold call setups with the aggressive style WW speaks of

If I know Im close to elk [like last week when I shot my bull] just some breaking branches loud does it

Bill
You told me about hucking...
Time to share :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I think raking brought my bull in today. I used a 4 ft baseball size limb and hit the tree a couple times, prob not as loud as you guys, scraped up an down on the tree, broke branches, then I beat on the ground with the stick and repeated. then I moved to another tree about ten yds away an started over again.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Buglemaster » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Ok Bill, ya got my curiosity up...What the heck is " hucking"? My PC wont even acknowledge it is a word...LOL!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Trophyhill » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Man I love raking! It really adds to the realism. For those who haven't heard a bull thrashing a tree it is LOUD. So I try to be as loud and aggressive as I can.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yes sir, raking, thrashing, stomping, breaking, rolling things is all a part of elk hunting, Elk wouldn't be the same without these natural sounds under specific calling attempts. Hucking was coined by BB & is a good all around term! Bulls rake for a variety of reasons, some is more intense than others depending on the encounter or a bull just feeling his oats with the oncoming rut. Not all raking/Hucking is a sign of intimidation or anger!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JGH » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

When would I rake instead of cow-call?

Are you using this "call" while working a bull, or while cold-calling?

What kind of bull is interested in checking out a raking noise?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

OK! For Bunglemaster and others that don't know about hucking, just picture this in your mind. Think of a bull standing at the edge of a wallow as he digs his rack into the mud and soft ground and tosses it into the air. Bulls can also throw things in the air or roll small logs or rocks with their feet. That is hucking! And Elknut is right, Bill Allard came up with a name for it. It just adds a little extra touch to your efforts when just raking and stomping.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Buglemaster » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for clearing that up ya old huckster. Guess I've been doing that for a long time & didn't even know it... ;)
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Elkaddict » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Love raking! Brought in several bulls this season( I should say my helpers did!), couldn't have shot some, turned down some and finally, with 2 windy days to go in the season, shot one! Dusty , one of my helpers, had 5 bulls that I didn't see come into him to check out the sound! Very good technique.
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry