Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elknut Elk Calling Contest Official Announcement

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elknut Elk Calling Contest Official Announcement

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Well, it's time to dust off the calls and get your practice on folks. The first annual Elknut Elk Calling Contest will kick into high gear on 19 May 2014. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have. Good luck to all who decide to participate in the first annual Elknut Elk Calling Contest! RJ

VS5.png
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elknut Elk Calling Contest Official Announcement

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Very Cool! Thanks for putting this on, RJ!
Winners sounds, as well as others, be posted for others to hear?
Wasn't sure if you wanted question posted here or to you through email or PM.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 3]

No problem Brent. These things can be a blast (I've participated in a few myself). Each caller's recording/file will will receive an "entry number" when submission is received. Once the contest window closes and the judges scores have been tallied, we'll get the recordings and final standings posted up by entry number. If somebody wishes to announce who they are in the final standings, that's up to them.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Washington Wapiti » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Sweet. I was just driving the neighbors and our iguana insane with my practice session yesterday! Apparently iguanas get annoyed too. LOL
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Washington Wapiti wrote:Sweet. I was just driving the neighbors and our iguana insane with my practice session yesterday! Apparently iguanas get annoyed too. LOL

(Note to self, watch this guy......). OK, the rules are clear. Only "one" caller on each sound clip. You cannot tweak any reptilian tails and force them to make "calf noises" to supplement your own recording. Just wanted to make this clear :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Washington Wapiti » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Phantom16 wrote:
Washington Wapiti wrote:Sweet. I was just driving the neighbors and our iguana insane with my practice session yesterday! Apparently iguanas get annoyed too. LOL

(Note to self, watch this guy......). OK, the rules are clear. Only "one" caller on each sound clip. You cannot tweak any reptilian tales and force them to make "calf noises" to supplement your own recording. Just wanted to make this clear :D

LOL, noted!
Washington Wapiti

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 17, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Any Sponsors here that would like to donate any form of their products towards the Contest here would be awesome! Please leave a note here or contact Phantom16 or myself through a PM. Thanks a bunch!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Wapiti » 04 17, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I'll donate some prizes Paul. This stuff is fun for everyone !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Gselkhunter » 04 21, 2014 •  [Post 9]

These competitions are a great place to learn calling skills. Rory will there be assistance to help novice callers build a program? Jump in guys.
Gselkhunter

First Name: Gregg
Last Name: Stevens

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 22, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Is everyone practicing? I could post up a "sample" clip if folks are interested. It won't be good or bad, just a sample on what 20 seconds of each required block of elk noises may sound like when rolled together.
WapitiTalk1

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 23, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Phantom16 wrote:Is everyone practicing? I could post up a "sample" clip if folks are interested. It won't be good or bad, just a sample on what 20 seconds of each required block of elk noises may sound like when rolled together.

Yes, I would like to hear an example.
BrentLaBere

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2014 •  [Post 12]

BrentLaBere wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:Is everyone practicing? I could post up a "sample" clip if folks are interested. It won't be good or bad, just a sample on what 20 seconds of each required block of elk noises may sound like when rolled together.

You got it.. Give me a few days.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Washington Wapiti » 04 24, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Oh yes, definitely practicing, through my vacuum hose attachments! LOL, but alas my tube is on it's way. Here's a sample, any and all feedback is welcome. These are just a couple of indvidual bull sounds, not the recording as it would be entered in the contest. I'm not really getting Soundcloud's way of posting sounds. There are two tracks but only one URL. Also, I can only re-name one of the individual tracks. Anyway, the one named Screams and Chuckles is exactly that. The other one is a locator bugle, but it won't let me edit the "Sounds From Wednesday" title. *Shrug*

https://soundcloud.com/user434088527/sounds-from-wednesday
Washington Wapiti

Postby Gselkhunter » 04 25, 2014 •  [Post 14]

BrentLaBere wrote:

Rory and I have been talking about this and we will make this happen. I will do some sets this weekend if I can get this new computer to do what I want it to. DISCLAIMER, I used to call on the professional circuit so what I put on here is for show only. I will not be competing. I will help you guys/gals build programs if you would like. I told Rory that I would be very happy to break down how I make calls to help you learn. I encourage you to participate in this competition. Between Paul, Rory, myself and many other great callers on this site we can help you become better callers.
Gselkhunter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2014 •  [Post 15]

As promised, here's a sample clip. This is one GSElkhunter put together. This is just a sample of how to create a program with the three required segments (cow/herd talk, bull sounds, and freestyle). I'm sure GS will chime in later today on this sample clip with his comments and recommendations on how to put together a clip/program within the contest time constraints.

[ Play Quicktime file ] elk 22.m4a [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 43712 times ]

WapitiTalk1

Postby Gselkhunter » 04 26, 2014 •  [Post 16]

Thanks Rory for getting that posted up. Guys on this clip the purpose was to go from demur and build in intensity in all 3 sections. The cow calls allow for more calls to be put together because of time per call. In the bull section you could start with a spike squeal, I just picked a set of grunts. Then I put a little more intensity in each of the bugles after that. The last section I used the bull answering the cow scenario.
If you can do more than one call in each section great. If you can't then do the same call, just try to change up the volume and the speed[that is the secret to putting emotion in your calling]. Hope this helps.
Gselkhunter

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 28, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Thanks for posting that up. Listening to it made me realize the 20 seconds will go by a lot quicker than I thought. That sounded great
BrentLaBere

Postby Gselkhunter » 04 28, 2014 •  [Post 18]

BrentLaBere wrote:Thanks for posting that up. Listening to it made me realize the 20 seconds will go by a lot quicker than I thought. That sounded great

Thank you, it does go by quick. That is why Rory and I spoke about helping everyone understand putting a program together. When you feel the pressure of doing calls and watching the clock so you finish in time it will change you. Then get up in front of 1200 people, that will change you too. Makes calling in bulls easy.
Gselkhunter

Postby Washington Wapiti » 04 29, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Gselkhunter wrote:
BrentLaBere wrote:Thanks for posting that up. Listening to it made me realize the 20 seconds will go by a lot quicker than I thought. That sounded great

Thank you, it does go by quick. That is why Rory and I spoke about helping everyone understand putting a program together. When you feel the pressure of doing calls and watching the clock so you finish in time it will change you. Then get up in front of 1200 people, that will change you too. Makes calling in bulls easy.

It sure does, when I was practicing and recording my sequences last week it made me realize too, just how fast it goes. Great calling . . . thanks for the soundbite example Gselkhunter. Right in line with how I was practicing, except I kept going 4 or 5 seconds over each section. :D
Washington Wapiti

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 04, 2014 •  [Post 20]

A mere two weeks away from the first annual Elknut Elk Calling Contest. Hope everyone is practicing 8-) Trips to Hawaii, new quads, musky trips to the land of 1000 lakes, free guided elk hunts in the wilds of Montana... well, those aren't any of the prizes but I'm pretty sure there are some good ones worth trying for :D RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 16, 2014 •  [Post 21]

Allrighty folks, the prizes for the first ever, Elknut Elk Calling Contest have pretty much been locked and cocked ;) Vortex Optics, Elk Mountain Gear Slip System (with cover of choice), Wyoming Saw, Clip Shot, Glacier Country Hunting Calls, Wapiti River Outdoors Calls/Bugle Tubes, and perhaps a few more items.

The contest window opens this Monday, 19 May. If you have any questions on the contest rules/procedures, send me a note.
WapitiTalk1

Postby nippip » 05 16, 2014 •  [Post 22]

Might there be different categories for example novice and experienced?
nippip

First Name: nippip
Last Name: W

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 23]

nippip wrote:Might there be different categories for example novice and experienced?

Just one category this year; amateur callers. No professional or semi-professional callers may enter. Good luck to all who decide to send in their elk noises!
WapitiTalk1

Postby nippip » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 24]

Well I just got my elk nut DVDs yesterday and last night I was struggling to make cow calls. I don't think I'll be in the running for any prizes but I sure hope to get some feedback on my tape.
nippip

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 19, 2014 •  [Post 25]

"Now, I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? To tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you have to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya..........".

Sorry, forgot what I was going to say. I meant to say: Now I know what you're thinking... "it's only day one of the first annual Elknut Forum, Elk Calling Contest. I've recorded a few clips that sound pretty good but why submit so early? I mean, after all, there's a bunch of days left to send my clip in, right?"

Well callers, how about the very next submission/clip I receive at the sstribute68@gmail.com email can claim the first prize of this "prize packed" contest. Your choice of either a Wapiti River Outdoors Pink Lady Cow Call, or, a Wapiti River Outdoors Bull Buster. Your move :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (255.83 KiB) Viewed 43468 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 26]

I will be recording mine asap, but i don't think it will be soon enough to snag those nice calls! Just got home from being out of town. Haven't had much time. Should be able to get mine in the next day or two.
BrentLaBere

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 27]

Guys, nice to have a few here wanting to participate. No worries on your level of skill! Do your best & sound like an elk the best you can, that's all any of us can do. We generally are our own worst critics! (grin) Let's just have fun with it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby nippip » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 28]

So if I post my tape on this thread does that count as the submittal, or can that be used for feedback to work on my final submittal?
nippip

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 29]

nippip wrote:So if I post my tape on this thread does that count as the submittal, or can that be used for feedback to work on my final submittal?

Nippip, I sent you a PM. All entries must be sent to my sstribute68@gmail.com email as provided in the flyer (MP3/MP4 format or a few others/not a soundcloud link). The purpose of "not" posting your sound on this thread or in the forum is that we don't want any other contestants to hear what others have submitted. The judges need to be the first folks who have the opportunity to evaluate and score the submissions. After the competition is complete, I'm sure I'll post up some of the entries for you Elknuts to hear.

By the way, you are the first one to submit a clip after I posted the "free WRO call" offer. It's yours. Check your PM. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby nippip » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 30]

RJ, thanks for the clarification. I will utilize a different thread to for feedback on my calls and thanks for the reed :)
nippip

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 22, 2014 •  [Post 31]

i]Update on submission format. [/i]I figured out how to convert a Sound cloud link to an audio file, so, if you just wish to send a Sound cloud link for your entry, you may. I'll convert your Sound cloud recording to an audio clip and get it to the other judges. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 23, 2014 •  [Post 32]

One week left to get your submission in folks... hoping see a good handful come my way over the weekend ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Wapiti » 05 26, 2014 •  [Post 33]

Hey guys!!

Let's have some fun here so let's hear some elk sounds. You can't win any prizes if you don't compete.

I'd like to see a million entries for this contest so I'll help out.

Once the calling contest is finished I will give a free elk reed to every single contestant that sends in the sounds. Totally free !!

Send your entries to Phantom16 and we'll go into elk season with a lot more confidence !!

Thanks Guys and Gals

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Washington Wapiti » 05 27, 2014 •  [Post 34]

I didn't forget! Clip coming this week . . .
Washington Wapiti

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 28, 2014 •  [Post 35]

Somebody asked me if an IPHONE recording will work. It sure will! The M4A file will work just fine for our contest purposes.

How to: Go to utilities, voice memo, click on red record button and do your elk noise thing. When you've got the clip recorded you like, name your sound file (you can also wait to name the file until you've sent it to your email). Choose the share icon and send the file from your phone to your email address. Save to desktop, ensure the sound file is good to go, and forward it to the email on the contest flyer. Good luck!
WapitiTalk1

Postby SnakeEyes » 05 28, 2014 •  [Post 36]

I sent in my attempt at calling just now. Let me know if you did not get it.
SnakeEyes

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 29, 2014 •  [Post 37]

Allrighty, last reminder. The contest entry window closes tomorrow. Get your clips sent in. You never know, you may just win something pretty cool ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 30, 2014 •  [Post 38]

Tic toc, tic toc. Send your elk noises in :). Last few hours.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 39]

The first annual Elknut, Elk Calling contest is in the books. The prizes for the top finishers (Vortex Optics package, Elk Mountain Gear Slip System, Wyoming Saw, Clipshot, and various calls and grunt tubes) are standing by for shipment to the lucky recipients. Now, we just need to figure out where to ship them ;). We’re hoping to have the final results out by the middle of the week but it may be a bit longer. Thank you to everyone who entered, and, to Elknut1 and the other sponsors of this fun event. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Fullabull » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 40]

Where can we listen to them. I wanted to get mine in but just didn't get the chance
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 41]

Gonna try to get it finalized tonight and get the results up.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 42]

Uh oh, I've got the total averages from all the judges and have finalized the results... but.... yawn, I'm so dang tired, I suppose I'll wait until tomorrow or next week to announce them.... ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby nippip » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 43]

Just let me know where I need to drop ship the coffee.
nippip

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 44]

OK, OK, my email just blew up :D Here are your winners for the first ever Elknut, Elk Calling Contest. With the bosses permission (you know who that is), maybe we can make this a yearly event. Thank you first and foremost to Elknut1 for allowing us to put this on and for all you do for elk hunters. For anybody not familiar with Elknut's philosophy and products, you're missing out on a great, possibly the best, elk hunting resource on the market. Thank you to the other judges (much smarter than I am), Elkmtngear (Jeff), Wapiti River Oudoors (Travis), and GSElkhunter (Gregg) for assisting with this first calling competition on "the" elk forum. I'd like to thank my parents, 6th grade biology teacher, my middle school basket ball coach, my next door neighbor babysitter when I was 13, ... oh, wait, what... :roll: Oh yah, got sidetracked, here are your top place finishers:

1st place - xXlojackXx. Vortex Diamondback 8X32 Binos, Vortex Harness Strap, Vortex Mossy Oak Cap, Team Vortex 10X2 decal, Glacier Country Hunting Calls Troy's Secret Weapon reed, and Wapiti River Outdoors Bull Buster and Pink Lady reeds. Congratulations!

2nd Place - Ridgefire. Elk Mountain Gear Slip System (with cover of choice), Glacier Country Hunting Calls Troy's Secret Weapon reed, and Wapiti River Outdoors Bull Buster and Pink Lady reeds. Congratulations!

3rd Place - Silverslinger. Wyoming Saw, Glacier Country Hunting Calls Troy's Secret Weapon reed, and Wapiti River Outdoors Bull Buster and Pink Lady reeds. Congratulations!

4th Place - Wapitibowman. Clipshot, Wapiti River Outdoors "The Commander" Bugle Tube, Glacier Country Hunting Call's Orange Enrager, and Wapiti River Outdoors Bull Buster and Pink Lady reeds. Congratulations!

5th Place - A tie! Both BrentLeBere and Washington Wapiti receive a Wapiti River Outdoors "The Commander" Bugle Tube, Glacier Country Hunting Calls Orange Enrager, and Wapiti River Outdoors Bull Buster and Pink Lady reed. Congratulations!

Everyone else who entered will receive a combination of Wapiti River Outdoors reeds, and, Glacier Country Hunting Call reeds!

Thank you to everybody who took the time and made the effort to record their elk noises and enter. It's been a great event! Please remember that nothing like this can occur without sponsors. A very special thanks to Elknut1, Vortex Optics, Elk Mountain Gear, Wapiti River Outdoors, Glacier Country Hunting Calls, and Clipshot.

I need every one who entered to resend me their mailing address (send to my SStribute68@gmail.com) so I can put Mrs. Phantom on task to send your goodies out ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby wapitibowman » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 45]

Will we get to listen to the recordings?? I am pretty sure if I placed in the top 5, there were only 5 participants, LOL!!

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby xXlojackXx » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 46]

Wasn't expecting the gold medal, but I'll take it!! Thanks for putting this on, it's always fun to belt out some elk calls in the spring to get fired up for September :D
xXlojackXx

First Name: Logan

Postby nippip » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 47]

Here was mine and I know I have a ways to go but would take any feedback.
http://soundcloud.com/user929205859/elk ... st/s-icBV2
nippip

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 48]

Just have to say thank you to all of the sponsors! Great prizes
Elknut, Thank you for the setup on your website. and RJ for taking all the time to help out and set this up. Pretty cool experience, hopefully next time more people will participate. (not sure on the numbers either way) I am excited to give the Wapiti River calls a try.

I used Glacier country calls for mine. Troy and a few others have helped me out a ton with my calling being a newbie. Heck we are all here to get better and fool the elk! Thats why I love this stuff.

Congrats to all the winners!
BrentLaBere

Postby ridgefire » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 49]

Thanks for putting this on Elknut and everyone else that was involved. First time I have tried something like this but will try again in the future.
ridgefire

First Name: wade
Last Name: s

Postby ctdad » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 50]

I decided not to participate in this bc I'm focusing my attention on improving weaknesses right now with my calling. I'd be more inclined to participate in July. I am not complaining, but just offering my opinion. Maybe others would agree and more would participate? Maybe not. Can we do an informal poll thread on this forum?
ctdad

Postby SnakeEyes » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 51]

Thanks for putting this on. It would be fun to hear the entries so we could learn from them.
SnakeEyes

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 52]

I'll try to make time later and at least post the top 4 or 5 entries.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Washington Wapiti » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 53]

Sweet . . . thanks you guys for putting this on and for the awesome prizes. Not too bad for a guy who's only been using diaphragms since September, and was finally able to get beyond some cow calls and squeak out a location bugle out right before the season started. LOL. Can't wait for my new calls and tube! Brent I used one of Glacier Country's calls too, Orange Enrager, that must be why we tied. :D Seriously Troy, I love your calls dude. Looking forward to trying Wapiti Rivers!
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 54]

Oh yeah, congrats everyone!
Washington Wapiti

Postby wapitibowman » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 55]

I just wanted to say thanks to all the sponsors. I'm pretty pumped about the prizes. I'm excited to try the new Wapiti River calls and grunt tube. I have never used the clip shot but I'm excited to try it out. I also used Glacier Country calls, watermelon and bull buster. Thanks again to all of the sponsors and Elknut.
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby pd » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 56]

Congratulations to xXlojackXx and everybody else. Way to go, medalists. (Was this a qualification round for the Olympics? World Cup?)

Good job, RJ. These creative events keep this forum interesting.
pd

First Name: p
Last Name: d

Postby xXlojackXx » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 57]

I have to stay honest and give a shout out to Jason Phelps @ Phelps Game Calls. He makes some great calls that nearly everyone can use. I started using reeds about a year ago and Jason has been more than helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

I bought some of Jason's calls this time last year, and in September I called in a 6x7 in to 40 yards on September 6th for a friend of mine. I've been obsessed about being the best caller I can be ever since, and can't wait until September to put all the practice to work. It'll only get better between now and then too. Jason's calls are the real deal and produce real results, you owe it to yourself to give them a shot.
xXlojackXx

First Name: Logan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 58]

OK, let's see if I can figure out how to correctly post these MP3 files (Troy/GCHC's told me how but I'm a very poor student). The total point difference between the top finishers were only 1 or 2 in several cases. I would say that even the guys that have only been calling for a very short period of time, put forth a great effort! Please extend a big congrats to all who decided to throw their sounds up.
1st Place, Entry # 5 -

[ Play Quicktime file ] Entry #5.m4a [ 501.4 KiB | Viewed 43040 times ]

2nd Place, Entry # 6 -

[ Play Quicktime file ] entry #6.mp3 [ 519.78 KiB | Viewed 43040 times ]

3rd Place, Entry # 8 -

[ Play Quicktime file ] Elk #8.mp3 [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 43040 times ]

4th Place, Entry # 10 -

[ Play Quicktime file ] Entry # 10.mp3 [ 1022.8 KiB | Viewed 43040 times ]

5th Place, Tie between Entry #1 and Entry # 7 -

[ Play Quicktime file ] Entry #1.mp3 [ 953.88 KiB | Viewed 43040 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] Entry #7.m4a [ 533.24 KiB | Viewed 43040 times ]

WapitiTalk1