Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Location-Advertising Bugle-What's The Difference?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

We hear of these sounds thrown about with the assumption most know when they are used & what they mean? So, what is your interpretation of these sounds & when are they used by the elk? Are these sounds the same?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Location-Advertising Bugle-What's The Difference?

Postby eltaco » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'm not sure I've heard the term "Advertising bugle" before... is that a display sound?

I think a location bugle is used to generate a response, essentially to keep tabs on other elk in the area. These are not aggressive in nature, though a bull could respond aggressively if he doesn't take kindly to the "intruder".

I consider display bugles as a way to show off for cows, trying to sound large and dominant with the biggest body and air chambers.

Correct me if I'm wrong... wouldn't be the first time!
eltaco

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Good question Elknut. Is the locator / advertising bugle the same bugle but given with different intentions, or are they seperate bugles?
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby mattstanton » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Another confused caller here. I have never heard of an advertising bugle. A locator bugle is just that. A bugle that is requesting a response to vocally "locate" other elk in the area.
mattstanton

Postby Freebird134 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Honestly, I dont even completely understand what a location bugle is. People always say it's a bull checking in with other bulls (or something like that), but it's never made complete sense why a bull would want to tell other bulls "hey, here I am. Come try to steal my cows."
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby mattstanton » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

The location bugle in my experience is to let cows know where he is so as to bring them in. When I hear one, I will get close and use excited cow sounds to pull him in on a string. Bulls will also keep in touch early in the season before they round up cows using these sounds. You will rarely hear them late in the season. late in the season you will hear mostly screams, challenge bugles, grunts and chuckles by themelves and herd talk.
mattstanton

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Makes us all think doesn't it!! The name in itself implies the "action" that it is being used for! Just like a Challenge Bugle is meant to Challenge!

So, when are Location Bugles used by Bulls?

When are Advertising Bugles used by bulls?

Even if most do not respond really think about the question! Hunters can learn a ton by just these two sounds, the answers are touched on but no one really implies when they are generally used especially the Advertising Bugle! Eltaco is on the right track here! This info can make a real difference in even this years elk hunt!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

+1 on Eltaco

For me, time of year, accompanying sounds, response to my calling, and situation can help me make a determination on meaning! Like I stated in another topic, generalizing these two bugles into one has burnt me in the past. Understanding what the bull is expressing in his bugle is half the battle.

My 2-cents.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Yes, a Location Bugle is used for Locating other elk! This can be a herd, cows, or any elk! As the rut picks up this sound can be heard much more often as a bulls desires are focused towards the cows, yet it is still used for locating elk!! It's the # 1 way to get Bulls to sound off & give away their position, you are not trying to call elk in with this sound, you just want to know where they are? Once located through their response you can now form a game plan as what to do next? Tailoring your sounds to fit their response is important here so you end up with the best possibility at a close encounter!

Advertising Bugles are generally used as cows show signs of estrus! These can also be considered a Display Bugle. I do not use this phrase because bulls can Display in many ways such as Raking Trees/Brush, Bugling, Urinating on themselves Parading for another bull, etc. With this in mind I choose another word such as Advertisement to have it fit an exact situation & time frame! The most common time to hear this form of Advertisement/Bugling is when the cows are very near or ready to be bred. As this time is upon the elk, bulls of all ages in a given area will Advertise themselves & their position to the cows within earshot! This is done in hopes of the cows considering them as breeders & come their way to their bugling.

This is commonly heard when you have 2-3-4-5 different bulls bugling in an area where cows are in estrus, these bulls are trying to denote Dominance, Strength & Maturity in their sounds as they represent who they are & what they have to offer to the cows! They try to out Bugle or Roar one another in a competitive manner. The herd bull at this time is generally the most vocal as he issues warnings for the lesser bulls to stay back! Of course these lesser bulls still have the same urges as the dominant bulls so they do their best to attract these cows or try & call them over their way! This time frame is true rutting & bugling at its best! There are other times this sound is heard as just about any elk sound but this is the most common time period of use!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkohalic » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 10]

So much information and just a few weeks till season opener. My brain is getting crowded LOL. I hope I can remember at least half if it when the opportunity knocks.

Chris
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I did not reply because I knew I did not know the answer. So, how is the sound different or is it just a time of the season question?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 12]

This wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong, so someone correct me if I am! There's two threads that talk about the topic of Location and Advertising bugles. Clear definitions have been defined that everyone seems to agree upon. In my replys on both I've expressed the need to interpret the situation and take into account all factors surrounding the encounter. For me time of season is a light weight factor to determine which bugle it is. It's very easy to sterotype and say, 3rd week of season it must be an Advertising bugle. Several times I have been burnt by that thinking. Now I put a lot more weight on the response I get and accompanying sounds the bull makes. By the definition of both, I think people try to put more weight on the time of year in determining which bugle it is.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Thanks, I have used the "location" and "Advertising" terms as they relate to elk bugles interchangeably. From what I am reading here, it still appears they sound alike. I am sure if I was making the sounds in my basement they would sound the same until I was told to "pipe down".
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby slim9300 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 14]

mattstanton wrote:The location bugle in my experience is to let cows know where he is so as to bring them in. When I hear one, I will get close and use excited cow sounds to pull him in on a string. Bulls will also keep in touch early in the season before they round up cows using these sounds. You will rarely hear them late in the season. late in the season you will hear mostly screams, challenge bugles, grunts and chuckles by themelves and herd talk.

This is my preferred method for dealing with a location bugle. For those that won't come in (mostly herd bulls) I like to introduce the threat.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby mongopino915 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 15]

ElkNut1 wrote:Yes, a Location Bugle is used for Locating other elk! This can be a herd, cows, or any elk! As the rut picks up this sound can be heard much more often as a bulls desires are focused towards the cows, yet it is still used for locating elk!! It's the # 1 way to get Bulls to sound off & give away their position, you are not trying to call elk in with this sound, you just want to know where they are? Once located through their response you can now form a game plan as what to do next? Tailoring your sounds to fit their response is important here so you end up with the best possibility at a close encounter!

Advertising Bugles are generally used as cows show signs of estrus! These can also be considered a Display Bugle. I do not use this phrase because bulls can Display in many ways such as Raking Trees/Brush, Bugling, Urinating on themselves Parading for another bull, etc. With this in mind I choose another word such as Advertisement to have it fit an exact situation & time frame! The most common time to hear this form of Advertisement/Bugling is when the cows are very near or ready to be bred. As this time is upon the elk, bulls of all ages in a given area will Advertise themselves & their position to the cows within earshot! This is done in hopes of the cows considering them as breeders & come their way to their bugling.

This is commonly heard when you have 2-3-4-5 different bulls bugling in an area where cows are in estrus, these bulls are trying to denote Dominance, Strength & Maturity in their sounds as they represent who they are & what they have to offer to the cows! They try to out Bugle or Roar one another in a competitive manner. The herd bull at this time is generally the most vocal as he issues warnings for the lesser bulls to stay back! Of course these lesser bulls still have the same urges as the dominant bulls so they do their best to attract these cows or try & call them over their way! This time frame is true rutting & bugling at its best! There are other times this sound is heard as just about any elk sound but this is the most common time period of use!

ElkNut1

Paul, what you have described above is exactly what we have used to draw bulls out of the wood during mid-day when we know there are bull(s) within earshot. We typically reserve this tactic for use during the last two weeks of the season but will not hesitate to wake up the entire mountain during the early season, if needed. It is amazing how the real bull(s) get turned on when a dominant bull is aggressively fending off intruder bull(s). It is somewhat like a blind cold calling, but very aggressive in tone and intensity, and can be done holding tight to a set up location or on the move. The real bull(s) typically do not come in quietly. Go figure.
mongopino915

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Yes, you can certainly simulate breeding sequences or an Elk Party with a great deal of success!

By the way you did a very good job on of calling on your video clip, very nice!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul