Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Last two weeks of season. Do i use locator bugle?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Last two weeks of season. Do i use locator bugle?

Postby erictski » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I have read pauls book and watched all the dvds multiple times. Now maybe i am just misunderstanding, but is the location bugle only used early like endof august and first week if september? Or can and should i be using the location bugle from the 10thlocation through the end of season?
erictski

Re: Last two weeks of season. Do i use locator bugle?

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I use the location bugle throughout hunting season. What you should pay close attention to is the response you get and what time of year it is. This can really determine what your next action should be. I've been burned a couple times by trying to generalize the response.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Locater bugles can certainly be heard, and, used anytime the elk are vocalizing, particularly during the rut (hunting pressure dependent). Although elk actually communicate in various ways year round, the rut brings out a drastically more chatty period for them (for the lack of a better term). Locater bugles are a pretty social kind of interaction on the surface.. "Hello, I'm here..is there anyone else out there"?. I've sat and heard two or more bulls bugle back and forth at each other numerous times from 1/2 mile away, on each side of a canyon and never move towards each other.. They use this sound to locate other elk in their current area of operations (home turf)...to see who is home (pretty much non-threatening), and later, as they move in and out of various areas looking for companionship (chicks) as the rut progresses, they are listening for a warning/challenge bugle or other bull noise signifying "stay away" from a herd bull.. This prompts a different kind of interaction from he who did the locater bugle "I'm gonna go see if I go take his his cows". This is the stuff elk woods dreams are made of :) So in my experience and meager opinion, locater bugles are invaluable to assist with the location of bulls throughout SEP and even early into OCT. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Yes sir, I agree a Location Bugle can be used effectively throughout nearly any elk season as Phantom mentions! Use it with confidence, it is a non-intimidation sound & a great scouting tool!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby erictski » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

ElkNut1 wrote:Yes sir, I agree a Location Bugle can be used effectively throughout nearly any elk season as Phantom mentions! Use it with confidence, it is a non-intimidation sound & a great scouting tool!

ElkNut1

thanks paul and thanks phantom

Paul just got the chuckler el and its a great sounding bugle, the location bugle really flies out of that thing...
erictski

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Good deal bud!!! Keep playing with it & get comfortable with it & you two will do well!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul