Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cow Calling Your Way Right To The Bull!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cow Calling Your Way Right To The Bull!

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 03, 2015 •  [Post 1]

This is a very aggressive move by the hunter & works awesome as a lone hunter as well. There are times when we have bulls hold tight to their position especially when in or around their bedding areas, this especially applies to Herd Bull encounters! If in an encounter with a semi to very vocal bull whether via cow calling or bugling on your part & he hangs tight & you can tell he's holding tight to his spot you may want to consider this aggressive approach especially in heavily brushed or timber country where the bull cannot see your approach, of course having the wind in your favor is a necessity too. Don't wait too long & hang up yourself when you can tell your calling isn't bringing the bull your way, if too much time lapses in thick country he will know somethings wrong & possibly get the heck out of dodge! (grin) When in this situation go right at the bull cow calling excitedly once in the 100 yard range. Again, even if you were getting him riled with bugling on your part & he's not coming then switch gears & go to cow calling adjusting your volume & whines as you go right at him quickly. This change can really anchor the bull as he awaits this unseen cow coming right to him! Stop all calling & nock an arrow at around the 40 yard mark & continue to go right at him picking the right course with cover so you can slip in the rest of the needed distance to take him.

The 1st photo is the type of country that is a bit too open to get away with running at the bull. The 2nd & third photos are what you are looking for thickness wise to get it done!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN2253.JPG
DSCN2253.JPG (303.77 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
DSCN1890.JPG
DSCN1781.jpg
DSCN1781.jpg (106.49 KiB) Viewed 22588 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Cow Calling Your Way Right To The Bull!

Postby Heartwood » 05 03, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Paul,

On your advice, I have used this method numerous times in past seasons both with a partner and solo.
Sometimes the bull would hang tight as we advanced and other times the bull would advance to us once he realized that a cow was indeed interested in him. Luckily the bull was always vocal enough that we could set up for the shot in time. Either way, these situations called for agressive action, providing exciting results. I myself used to be very timid in similar situations and often ended up just talking to a bull from a distance. Not anymore!
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby twinkieman » 05 03, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Yes, Heartwood and I have used this advice, with good results. The more we learn from Paul, the more aggressive we have become, and the end results are more bulls called in. My very humble opinion is that it is tempered aggressiveness, using the wind, and all available cover. Many times in the past I was guilty of making the bull do all the work, and making him come all the way. No longer, Anytime we are able now, we make our way to the bull. As always great advice Paul, and very imformative. :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Toby » 05 03, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Can I ask what kind of calls you are using as you move in?
Toby

Postby Indian Summer » 05 03, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Obviously completely off topic... I guess, it never ceased to amaze me that Danny Moore does not and never has even carried a cow call let alone use one. The guys is as consistent as it get when it comes to killing bulls. Some bigun's too!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Heartwood » 05 03, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I generally just stick to excited cow calls on the way to the bull. As Paul said, it is best to stop calling when you get in tight and just slip in silent for the shot or if the bull commits to coming in that last ddistance, i try and move from where i last called (bull will still be homing in on that call location with great accuracy). Really we are just giving the bull what he wants when he is trying to call that cow to him. As long as he can't see you or smell you, realistic calls will have him convinced and fooled most times.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 04, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Heartwood, is spot on! In addition to the use of the excited cow mews/whines the volume is dictated by the distance you are from the bull. At 100-150 yards I like a high volume whine, as the distance is cut we soften the volume still loud enough & with rapid excitement to the whine that the bull can hear us as we continue cutting the distance, at no time do we setup & call from a single spot unless it appears the bull is coming at us. This rarely happens, we generally have to go all the way to him. -- That's the reason in the 1st place we are using this method because the bull is locked into one spot & will not budge yet remains vocal.

Indian Joe, (grin) yes Danny takes a lot of bulls via bugling, we do the same in the ElkNut Crew. There's no doubt we kill more bulls via bull sounds but there is still room for cow calling as well. A perfect example is this thread! We resort to this cow calling method because the bull will not cooperate & come our way for whatever reason he has. There will be those bulls that no matter how hard & great you bugle at 60 yards with good cover & wind that the bull & the caller will get into a screaming match but he will not come. Most hunters including Dan will throw in the towel right there because they have no other method to resort too. The bull generally gets tired of the encounter & moves off knowing something isn't quite right. -- Instead of forcing the action with bugling & telling yourself it's bugling or nothing just switch gears on the bull & go to cow whines & head right at him, this is ones chance to catch this bull off guard as he awaits this oncoming cow, there is no intimidation in this method.

There will be encounters where bulls will tear up the woods with bugling as you bugle back to him & days when all they want to hear is cows. Being a versatile hunter allows you to fit & adapt to whatever is thrown at you that day & not just force sounds you are bound & determined to stay with no matter what! There is a spot for cow calling & dealing with herd bulls as well as using Advertising Bugles with herd bulls! Dan doesn't know it but he uses Advertising Bugles to attract the bulls he kills! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Trophyhill » 05 04, 2015 •  [Post 8]

This is exactly how I've killed my last 2 elk. As a solo hunter mostly I've learned to call and move! Move toward the elk. Ive located with locate bugles and cow calls and then I cow call my way in. Don't forget to use the terrain and cover to your advantage. As you are calling your way in these bulls will know exactly where you are. On 1 bull it took very subtle calling once in close as I could see him looking for the cow (me) and on the other one I let a loud pleading cow call out with my Long Ranger when less than 75 yards from the bull. This bull was holding tight and I had terrain, cover and wind in my favor. Terrain, cover, wind and the mood of the elk will dictate which approach I use. Then it boils down to another important factor. You have to see him before he sees you ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Toby » 05 04, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Heartwood,

"Really what we are doing is giving the bull what he wants", now that statement makes the old light bulb go on. Great post.

Toby
Toby

Postby Huntrgathr » 05 06, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I used this " call and stalk" technique to shoot my bull last year. Unfortunately , it was the wrong bull. I think this is the go-to for solo hunters, even when the bull is working towards you it's a good idea to get away from the last spot you called from as that bull has already pinpointed your location and will come in looking right at you. A quick slide to the side may be all that's needed. It's ventriloquism that produces shot ops.
Huntrgathr

Postby chipick » 05 12, 2015 •  [Post 11]

I should have done this last year. I had a bull that would bugle down in a hole then come up and thrash some brush just inside the reprod across the road from where I was setup at. My buddy was calling behind me and and there was a cow coming up the road, she stopped broadsided 20 yards out with 15min of shooting light left on the clock, and I got my first elk. A calf the size of a big mule deer. I still get some flicked at me about it but, I gotta start somewhere.
chipick

Postby BRazz » 05 13, 2015 •  [Post 12]

I tried this on a "hung up" bull last year and got busted by his cows - don't forget that he might not be alone...
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 14, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Yes, you have to be on the watch for additional elk, sometimes we get tunnel vision because of the bulls bugling for us to come his way. But don't be too quick to throw the towel in thinking it's game over if you run into his cows first! You have two options if this happens. #-1 Continue right at the bull with the cover & wind in your favor, don't be rattled because some cows spooked off, it's common for cows to head right back to their bull for a secure position when spooked, you still have a chance to get right on him. # -2 If running into his cows first this means he's right there close, as they run scream an Advertising bugle for them to come back, this should ignite the unseen bull & see red & generally will scream back at you & storm your way, be ready to cut him off with another bugle of your own to keep his temper raging as he comes to you to push you away. Many bulls have hit the dirt with #-2 for us!

These thoughts require quick thinking so you must be mentally prepared if such a situation arises!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LongShot » 05 16, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Paul, will this method work good for late/post rut? How about in high pressured areas? :?: thx.
LongShot

First Name: Anon

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 16, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Bruce, not sure what your definition of Late/Post rut is? If you mean from end of Sept towards end of Oct. then yes sir! All it takes is a cooperative bull to your cow calling & dense cover & of course favorable wind, all in which can be had! We've used this many times over the years with awesome success & we hunt OTC Public Lands with much of it heavily hunted, it's all about the timing & aggressive response from the bull.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LongShot » 05 17, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Thx, Paul. My tag is for Oct. 17 rifle and I can't wait to get out there and try this! :)
LongShot

First Name: Anon

Postby foxvalley » 05 17, 2015 •  [Post 17]

One thing that i have noticed,and have had this happen many times,that you might want to consider, or expect,is lots of times the bull will set you up.By this i mean he will hide behind some brush,or if moving, he will cross a small opening,then stop in the brush on the other side,turn around and wait for you to expose yourself as you start to cross the opening....
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Raghorn_Reaper » 05 17, 2015 •  [Post 18]

Great thread!!! The quick thinking part is what I need to get better at.
Raghorn_Reaper

Postby foxvalley » 05 18, 2015 •  [Post 19]

Raghorn_Reaper wrote:Great thread!!! The quick thinking part is what I need to get better at.

LOL,this always seems to be my downfall.Finding the elk, and getting close always seems to happen on a regular basis,but when the mind is racing,and you are in close,there are 10 differnt options that you can do....call...not to call, move, stay put etc,but it seems that there is only one or two that will work,and "doing the right thing at the right time" with a half gallon of adrenalin running thru your veins,usually determines a shot oportunity, or a close call. It is really important to calm down,rethink what you are about to do,go over all the options,and pick the best one.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby sasquatch » 05 19, 2015 •  [Post 20]

Raghorn_Reaper wrote:Great thread!!! The quick thinking part is what I need to get better at.

X2, even though im as green as they come I like the sound of this technique
Blake
sasquatch

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 21, 2015 •  [Post 21]

Yes it does make sense. (grin) When bulls are looking to build a harem they generally do this vocally by bugling & chuckling, with this in mind it pulls cows their way to join the group. So it's normal for a cow to come towards the bull as he's in search of recruiting the ladies. This can save miles of leg work for the bulls by bugling to entice them as he represents dominance & strength in his sound! Cows choose the bull that will breed them when the time comes!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby poisonarrow » 05 30, 2015 •  [Post 22]

This is the perfect scenario for a Poison Arrow Decoy. If he would see movement, what he sees is a cow.

Guess who is posting? :)
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby bowhunter04 » 05 30, 2015 •  [Post 23]

This is a tactic that I probably never would try of I hadn't heard it here. As a rookie who grew up hunting whitetails, the thought of walking towards the animal in after, even behind cover would be way out of my comfort zone.
bowhunter04

First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Fischer

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 24]

I missed this post. Could have used this 9 months ago. wind was perfect the bull sat on one point for 6 hours and bugled 2-3 hundred time. We gave up after we called is a satellite and deafirishman got his 1st bull. great day in the mountains.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Deafirishman » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 25]

Great information Paul. Friday and I sure could have used this last year as this is exactly the same scenario we ran into. Hunt and learn !! Satellite bull ??? I thought he was 348" of bone. :lol:

Anyway, great thread. I am always itching for new information :D
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby Trophyhill » 06 29, 2015 •  [Post 26]

Bumper to the top. Cow calling your way in is a blast!
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 30, 2015 •  [Post 27]

Yes sir it sure is a blast!

Aaron, it seems every year we are able to incorporate running at a bull or two every year, it's amazing how it anchors a bull as he awaits this cow he's invited! You gotta try it, it's great with good cover & wind in your favor! It's a true adrenalin rush! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CurlyTail » 06 30, 2015 •  [Post 28]

I am trying to envision myself trying this strategy. In the area I hunt which is mostly an old burn with Ponderosa pine forest pockets, and very spare undercover - I dont think I could pull this off often unless there were terrain features to hide my approach. In this area, you can usually see a good 75 yards through the forest understory. Obviously, you need good cover to try this aggressive tactic.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 01, 2015 •  [Post 29]

Yes, you need either thicker cover or a couple trees between you & your elk. I've run right at elk with as little as a few small pines between us as I cow called right to them, they feel you are just one of them trying to join or catch up, they will wait for you to make your appearance. Don't let them see or smell you & you have a very good chance & drawing & shooting him/her! Hope it works for you sometime so we can read your story on how it worked! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul