Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Diaphragm Reed

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Diaphragm Reed

Postby elkaholicid » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Oh that age old question of which diaphragm reed is the best? This is a tough question to answer as everyone is different in the way their palate is shaped, how much air pressure they use when calling, if they are a light touch or heavy touch caller and so on and so forth. Another thing to consider is if you need a narrow, medium or wide framed reed. It's kind of like buying a shirt. If you normally wear a large shirt you're probably not going to shop on the small rack. Same goes for a diaphragm reed. How about the style of the reed? Is it a raised angle palate plate, or a domed reed, or how about a conventional reed? How about a single, double or a triple reed? What a 1.5 or a 2.5? So many choices. Personally, my go to reed is a conventional, wide framed reed with 1.5 layers of latex that have a medium to heavy stretch on them. How about the rest of you?
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Diaphragm Reed

Postby Lonnie » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

The more I practice and get used to different reeds. I am leaning back to the conventional reed. With no bend. I like light latex for the cow sounds, and a thick latex for the bull sounds. Thanks to Michael Batease.
Lonnie

Postby Swede » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I use more force than average and prefer a double reed diaphragm. A triple layer diaphragm is too much. I can't make them work. I have a couple diaphragms from Wapiti River and a couple from Glacier Country. They all worked well. Even their single reed calls are good. The diaphragms I got from Elknut work fine. I had a tough time with the old Larry D. Jones diaphragms, but like the Primos palate plate ones.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Yes Micheal, That is what everyone says when looking for a good reed. In short, the best reed in the world is the one that works best for you.

I was talking with Rockie Jacobsen one day at a calling contest. And I'll never forget what he told me. He said, " Anyone who is a good caller can pick up just about any diaphragm call and make it work". I tend to agree! But the key words to his statement were GOOD CALLER.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

OK, I'll throw out my reed(s) of choice and why. I have used Berry Big Bull Double Reed (Large Bull) reeds since the early 80s? They are IMO, hands down, the toughest, longest lasting reeds on the planet. Honestly, I can use one an entire elk season and not blow it out and believe me, I "use" my diaphragms. They are I believe, Mr. Berry's longest running reed (Glen actually said something to me last fall when I visited one of his seminars that he'll continue to make them as long as a handful of hunters keep buying them). I also really like the Berry Big Bull Sleazy Cow Call Reed for my cow sounds (the Big Bull reed is wrapped way too tight for effective cow sounds). Why do I like them? They are both very good sounding calls, and, are built Chevy tough (ha ha, Ford owners, I said Chevy tough) and last a long, long time. All that said, I have used and like many different types of manufacturer's calls besides the besides my old school Berry's (including some of Glen's newer calls) and have found that they are actually a bit easier to get all the elk sounds out of but don't seem to last as long for me personally (I guess I'm a blow hard kind of guy). I think that's one of the things that Michael from Elk Calling Academy gets into with his philosophy though, that there are differences in the shape/fit of the different reeds that a hunter has got to try out and find the best fit for them.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkaholicid » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW---> you hit the nail on the head about Good Callers. They do have the ability to make any diaphragm reed work with their ability to control their air and tongue pressure but the right fitting reed will have a much cleaner sound with easier note transitions.

RJ...I agree that people should try different reeds from manufacturers. I've had a couple of students that came in to my lessons using one manufacturer and left using a different one. There are a lot of call manufacturers out there and some people don't know about any of them except for the big ones. To really find the right reed we have to be willing to try different reeds. A $30 investment could cover 4 reeds from 4 different manufacturers pretty easy and allow the caller to get a better understanding of the type of caller they are and what style of reed works best for them.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 7]

OK RJ lets put the cards on the table! I'll bet my Raging Bull (Ford) will beat your Berry Double (Chevy)!!! :o :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby elkaholicid » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

>>>---WW----> wrote:OK RJ lets put the cards on the table! I'll bet my Raging Bull (Ford) will beat your Berry Double (Chevy)!!! :o :lol:

WW....are you talking about the Raging Bull with the original white latex or the red latex that it switched to?
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 9]

The original. Dang, I hope he hasn't changed them. Great reed, glad I have several left.
>>>---WW---->

Postby elkaholicid » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 10]

They switched to a red latex for a while but are going back to the original white latex. That switch back should make a lot of people happy.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Not sure its the best reed for me or in all situations, but I have become really comfortable with Glacier Country Hunting Calls. Troys Secret weapon and a few others of his I really like. DW2, watermellon and Orange Enrager. I would also fall under the category of a blow hard. I would even say another problem I have is too much tongue pressure. Troys calls are built with a heavier latex than others I have used. The deeper mid tones are a quality I seem to get out of them as well.

The raging bull was my go to call before - with the white latex. I bought a newer one but havent given it a try yet.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby elkaholicid » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 12]

BrentLaBere wrote:Not sure its the best reed for me or in all situations, but I have become really comfortable with Glacier Country Hunting Calls. Troys Secret weapon and a few others of his I really like. DW2, watermellon and Orange Enrager. I would also fall under the category of a blow hard. I would even say another problem I have is too much tongue pressure. Troys calls are built with a heavier latex than others I have used. The deeper mid tones are a quality I seem to get out of them as well.

The raging bull was my go to call before - with the white latex. I bought a newer one but havent given it a try yet.

Brent...if the reed is a comfortable fit, you a good seal and you have confidence then that very well could be the best reed for you. Confidence in a reed is extremely important.
I haven't blown on any of his calls so I might have to give Troy a call and get a few in to play with.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 13]

elkaholicid: I sent you a PM
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 14]

>>>---WW----> wrote:OK RJ lets put the cards on the table! I'll bet my Raging Bull (Ford) will beat your Berry Double (Chevy)!!! :o :lol:

:lol: No fair, I know of your calling credentials mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkaholicid » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 15]

>>>---WW----> wrote:elkaholicid: I sent you a PM

>>>---WW----> sent you a PM back
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor