Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling in Cows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling in Cows

Postby Harmy » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

This site devotes so much focus and thought to calling in bulls I am curious about more detailed techniques for calling in cows. I have a muzzy cow permit for the first two weeks of November and am curious what others do for calling cows? I have a 100% track record for harvesting cows since I started hunting elk and my technique simply involves lots of walking and stalking and looking for sign. I never thought calling cows would even work but I am curious if there are good ways to call in cows.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Re: Calling in Cows

Postby Vanish » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'd love to help, but I had good luck one day this season calling cows (using cow calls). I have no idea what the difference was that day!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Swede » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Elknut has devoted a whole DVD "Calling All Cows", to this subject. I am sure you would get a lot of good information there. There are a number of ways to call cows even in November. It is much better to listen to and watch the DVD than to read a description of the calls, as you can hear the sounds you can use. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Harmy » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have the Calling all Cows DVD and have reviewed again the ElkNut Tips and Tactics post (but it seems most is devoted to early or mid season). Just hoping for additional tips from a wider audience and in particular late season tactics when the elk have just spent the last 2 months running from archers, limited entry rifle, limited entry muzzy, rifle, and deer seasons. Chris
Harmy

Postby Swede » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 5]

All I have done for cow calling in the fall is to make normal cow sounds. I use them to cover my movement so that elk think I am another cow in the woods. I have not tried the lost cow or calf in distress sounds. I have not used a chuckle to lure one in, but you could try any one of these calls.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Harmy » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Swede, you have sparked an idea that I could try out by combining the technique in Tips and Tactics. How about this idea everyone?

My area has a nasty rough road that goes right through the center of the main area. It is a road that goes from a lake up to a ridge and bisects a very wide basin (about 3 miles up and 8 miles wide). As I drive up I stop every 1/4 mile, hike in about a half mile, and setup and start calling. In one instance I use soft cow/herd sounds. In the next act as a bull with soft chuckles. In the next, act as a calf in distress, etc. Not a statistical experiment but maybe worth some structure and testing??? Any other ideas?

My main goal is to try something with calling as I am so new to this game. Not that I don't want to employ the tried and trusted hike-my-butt-off but ElkNut has initiated my experience with calling this season which has me kind of intrigued to continue to practice...
Harmy

Postby mongopino915 » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 7]

During the second rifle season a couple of years ago, bought a left over cow tag. Bumped some elk on the way back to the truck in the evening. Decided to use some distress calf calls just for kick since there was nothing to loose. After about 10 minutes of continuous calling, a nice mature cow came back looking for the lost/distress calf. Ended up packing the cow out by myself 300 yards down hill to the truck (cake walk).

Kept reminding myself to go after the cows when the bulls are not responding during the archery season but never really used that distress calf call since then.

Good Luck.
mongopino915

Postby cnelk » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

It really helps to be in an area that has lots of cows... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Dirty D » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I called in a little calf last year at over 700 yards and even though it was only a calf, it was definitely one of my coolest calling memories to date.
After unintentionally breaking up the herd, we spotted a single cow trying to sneak out of a little drainage on us. The shooter couldn't get setup in time and I thought she was walking out of our lives forever. Then as she was about to crest a far, far, ridge I remembered I had my bugle and gave a locate call. I really wasn’t even sure she’d hear us as there was a decent breeze but she turned on a dime and started marching our way. It reminded me again of what a useful tool our calls can be when used at the right times!

I did a little write up of the trip on my blog if anyone's interested - http://dirtysdealings.com/2011/11/20/sa ... 1st-place/
Dirty D

Postby Harmy » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Thanks Dirty. Good story and advice. Chris
Harmy

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 13, 2012 •  [Post 11]

For a Nov cow hunt, I would definitely be in the Glassing, Glassing & more Glassing mode! Find them & stalk them! If you know where they go in certain areas, drainages, cross roads, etc then consider those spots! But Glassing to locate & stalk is your best bet. This doesn't mean calling can not be incorporated here & there in hopes of cows responding back, just don't over use it! We have got them to sound off in Nov before but it's just another tool. Closer the better to hear them respond! To anchor a cow or stop them dead even if running use the Nervous/Popping Grunt!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 13, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Elknut took the words right out of my mouth. Get some good binos and close the gap for a shot. I'm not saying cows can't be called in November. But as a general rule, they don't say all that much that late in the season. But, the popping grunt, nervous grunt, or nervous bark (all the same call) will stop any elk on the spot for the shot.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Harmy » 10 13, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Good advice ElkNut and WW. Although I failed to anchor the 7x7 with my bark this season. I suspect he saw me first though... The area I am hunting has a lot of elk so I suspect you are correct in that the spot and stalk method I have always relied on is the best bet. Last 3 of my partners took cows in this area during the rifle hunt so I am expecting to be in them in two weeks.
Harmy