Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

using cow call walking in?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

using cow call walking in?

Postby elk308 » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I am new so if this has been talked about sorry for asking again. I have heard using a cow call to cover up any noise you make traveling on foot works. I hunt the modern season after the rut in western wa. Does anyone have any experience with this? What else do you use? This year was the pits lots of hours at work and less than I hoped scouting and hunting = no elk.
elk308

First Name: ryan

Re: using cow call walking in?

Postby mongopino915 » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Welcome,

Understand elk movement and you should be able to find the answer. I am not saying that using cow sound(s) to aid with disguising noise will not work, but I am saying that elk make very little noise when moving slowly through the woods.

Some will argue that elk are big animals and make lots of noise. I will not argue against that but I will say that elk can tell the noise made by the human foot steps.

To best fool them is to be like them - be very, very quiet and only call when you are set up. I do not cow call just to conceal my noise due to movement.
mongopino915

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

When I hunt on the ground and move around, I do not try to be completely silent. I minimize my sounds within reason. commonly I take only a few steps, then stop and look/listen. After looking around I take a few more steps and stop again. A hunter does not want to sound like a human on a mission. I try to stay close to good cover and blend in. I like to be in the shadows. The sounds I make should sound like an elk moving along feeding. After I make some noise while moving, I stop and make a cow call. Regardless, every couple minutes I will give a short cow call while moving. By doing that I have had bulls chuckle to me which in elk talk is saying "come here honey". Of coarse watch the wind constantly.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby T/H » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

just for grins one morning this year as i was walking in i was cow calling with the hoochie, the carltons squeeze me and the baby hoochie as i was walking. i was nearly run over from behind by a big cow. she was gone before i fully realized what had just happened. my rule of thumb typically is don't call unless i'm ready to shoot. i learned that the hard way several years ago.
T/H

Postby one_elk » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

My experience has been that when elk are not disturbed and they are just moving through their day they tend to be very vocal and make a fair bit of noise, ya know like a heard of elephants…ok maybe not loud but I have heard them make significant noise. But once they become disturbed they move like ghosts, amazing how an animal that big can make so little noise at times…
one_elk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Theelkhunter wrote:We use cow calls to help mask noises. Like others, we have elk respond while doing it.

Me also. No way you can be quiet in some of the 1/4 mile jungles I've hunted for the past few years in ID and MT, so, the cow sounds are offered sporadically to make elk think I'm an elk as I crawl through the thick vegetation to my objective area. I do try to stop in an area where I have some type of shooting lane(s) before I make soft cow sounds in case bullwinkle wants to come in. Many times, these soft cow sounds will elicit a response. Also, after I've made the cow sounds and continue my jungle trek, elk have responded to the sound of me moving through the thick stuff (he heard a cow and she's moving through the brush). I don't use the method all the time but believe that cow sounds while moving can be productive.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby POk3s » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Like most have said, I give it a shot as well. I'm trying to move very quietly but it is impossible, especially this year with how dry it was. If I crack a stick off a log I'll usually give a very quiet cow/calf chirp. I figure it can't hurt.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby elk308 » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Any call better than the others? I know there are million and a million opinons but any favorites? I am going to try after all late hunts are over just to pratice moving around,maybe bring the camera. Thanks for all the help.
elk308

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 9]

elk308 wrote:Any call better than the others? I know there are million and a million opinons but any favorites? I am going to try after all late hunts are over just to pratice moving around,maybe bring the camera. Thanks for all the help.

Can't beat a diaphram call for being able to make all the sounds. As far as a reed call to use, I really like Hunter's Specialty Bull Hooker.. Again, just my meager opinion. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Depends on situation. If I am just roaming the woods looking for elk I stop, cow and calf call every so often for locating. If I am headed into a stand or blind, the only time I make elk sounds is if I see or hear elk, or if I accidentally snap a twig. When I snap a twig or make a noise that would alert any nearby elk, I will always soft cow call a few times. On occasion, I will just do a little show me what you are bark. That one has really worked for me several times. I have a reed in my mouth all the time. I only bow hunt, so this is near or during the rut.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I'm a chaser and hunt with a team. Usually going from bugling bull to another or one cayon to another. At times I do cow call as I move if the situation is right. If I'm going through thick timber I may call a little as we work through. I never call on the move in open country. Very easy for elk to get a good look out at where the sound is coming from.

As stated above, if you do call on the move make sure you are ready to let loose an arrow. Don't recommend walking with an arrow nocked, but do recommend you keep your head on a swivel and your ears tuned in. I've been busted a couple time because I was too relaxed.

My 2-cents.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

To answer the question Elk308 asked, let me suggest using a cow call that you can easily contol the sound volume with. A diaphragm is great, but about any bite and blow call will do fine also. I like to keep the sound level down as I travel through the forest. I sorta agree with the idea that you should always be ready to shoot, but I have never managed to do that. I try to stay where there is reasonable cover and progress carefully. I try to look around a lot and stop frequently, but I use the cow sound to cover my identity. I am not trying to call in a bull. I am not looking for an answer to my calls. These things happens occasionally, but it always seems, I feel like I was caught with my pants down so to speak when one come charging in. My observation is that when elk come to those low level cow calls, they come in silently or on the run. Since the sounds are low level, the distances are short. Things happen so fast that I am left just shaking my head and wondering. For bow hunters to be ready you would need an arrow nocked and be faced in the right direction. The rifle hunter may have it a little easier, but you will still need to react quickly.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

About the only time I use a cow sound while on the move is when I take a bad spill or make a bunch of noise that you usually wouldn't think an elk would make. (Like when I do an unexpected face plant)! Then I'll do a mew or two just to hopefully settle any elk that might have heard me settle down or keep them from blowing out of the area.

Usually when I make cow calls, I'm on a setup and doing a silent calling routine. But for the most part, when walking in, I'll use a location bugle instead of cow calls about every 200-300 yards or so from a ridge line. But sparenly even at that.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby elk308 » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Thanks for the help. I think I will try the primos.
elk308

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Oops! I think I read your post wrong elk308. I think you are rifle hunting? If so then I would not recommend calling while you walk. To many "shoot by sound" hunters.
JohnFitzgerald