Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Decoys at a wallow???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Decoys at a wallow???

Postby BobcatJerry » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Has anybody ever used a decoy, like a Montana decoy while sitting over a wallow?
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Re: Decoys at a wallow???

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Do you mind if I answer your question with a question?? So my question is," Why would you want to use a decoy at a wallow"? A well used wallow itself is the drawing card. I see no need for anything else outside of some good tree stand tips from Swede.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby easeup » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

no way Jose
easeup

Postby BobcatJerry » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If the elk are pressured or maybe a little apprehensive, I thought it may comfort them with a visual of another elk. I can't scout, and study where I hunt, I have to go to where I hunted last year and just set up blindly. I don't know their behavior, timing or anything else. I just know it is an area with springs and found 3-4 wallows last year. Need an edge. Thought I'd hit it first day.

They stick decoys on natural attractions such as alfalfa or just good travel lanes for whitetails. I had a big buck come in last week, with no antlers (he was huge compared to the does around him) and kick the crap out of my practice target. Broke the antlers off of it. They beat it up all the time especially during the rut. I have it on my trail cam. It was up around my tractors and skid loader. I had the camera there to just see what would happen. It drew a major response from a large buck, out of rut. It's March and he beat it up.

That got me to thinking of the practicality of using decoys. If rolling in the mud is nice, I would think rolling with a sweet cow around, one of the reason I'm rolling for anyways, would be better, or at least more appealing or comforting. I guess to put the bull at ease as he approached.

Isn't that what we are trying to do with a decoy? To give a visual appearance that comforts the beast, or makes it more relaxed, or stimulate some sort of positive reaction? Elknut1 says he goes in and splashes the wallows sometimes, for a audible stimulus, or gives a spike squeal to provoke a response (I understand bull versus bull here). What about a visual for the bull as he approaches?? I would think, that is where you would want to use a decoy, where they may expect to see another elk, not some place where they wouldn't.

I understand the fact that a wallow is an attraction in itself, but I also understand that these animals have visual responses to things. It's like the guy that gets a bull moose to charge using oars from the canoe on his head rocking back and forth like a threatening bull would. The bull sees the oars and thinks he looking at a threatening bull, never mind that it's a human doing it.(Jim Shockey's guide) All he, the moose saw was the paddles that he thought were antlers, a visual stimulus. It provoked a positive response. I've gotten whitetails to respond to me putting my rattling antlers on my head, really makes them look at you hard, before running off. They see a visual que, antlers.

I guess that is why I ask. Never even thought about doing it until tonight. I'm learning, but thinking on my own too.
BobcatJerry

Postby elkmtngear » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I think part of the problem is, if a bull comes into a wallow, and sees a "cow", he may be nervous that there is another bull right there somewhere waiting to deliver a can of whoop azz.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Absolutely not needed! Sounds and splashing are more effective at these destination spots, use them sparingly & it plants a seed! Wait patiently on stand & let approaching elk be in search mode for the elk they heard minutes or hours ago. If any respond during your stay no need to respond back no matter how much time has elapsed from your first calling.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I set up a decoy near my tree stand at a water hole and wallow for several years. I never had an elk come in because the decoy was there. The elk were coming to the water. Sometimes they continue to come in, in spite of the decoy, but often they turn around and leave before they are close enough to shoot. Diasppointment is waiting for a week in a tree stand, then have the decoy you set out, scare off the only shooter animal you have seen. It especially hurts when you know you just messed up.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BobcatJerry » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks, guys, probably saved me some time and frustration.
BobcatJerry