Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

water holes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

water holes

Postby bnsafe » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

last year i found some great wallows with a ton of elk sign, tracks poop trails etc. wallows were tore up. but i never found a water source for the elk. there was some water around the wallows but not much at all. so do elk drink out of streams somewhere, ponds, wallows, etc. is there usually a place where elk will water every day or do they just drink wherever they find a spot. and how often do they drink a day.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: water holes

Postby Swede » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

There is quite a bit to chew on here that I see. I assume you are not describing a dry wallow. If there is any standing water at the wallow, it is likely that an elk gets at least some of its water there. It does not take a lot for them to lick up enough, and it sure doesn't have to be clean. If you want to make it more attractive take a shovel or something and dig out around it. On another thread I remember we had a discussion on this matter. Some said you are not supposed to dig around any wet area, but I open a hole up enough to pool some water. There is no off site contamination of any running water. Of coarse if the elk are already coming, you probably do not have to do much to encourage them. but I always like water to be available. Where I hunt there is no one spot that elk water every day. In others locations, like water holes on a ranch, where they can and do. How often they come into water depends on how hot it is. As a tree stand hunter who sits over water I like it when the day time temps. are in their 80s or above. It improves the likelihood of them coming in to where I am waiting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I posted these on a similar thread. This wallow is surrounded by clear, clean running streams that are less than 15 yards away, but the elk and cattle would rather drink from the muddy wallow. I have dozens of trailcam pictures and have watched them from my stand doing this. Never have I seen them drink from the streams. A few hours after the bulls wallow in it, water settles a little and forms a small pool that is still cloudy. They prefer the muddy water. :? You can see in the 1st picture where the bull had wallowed earlier. All of these pictures are the same wallow.

CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Swede » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I sure like placing my tree stand where the elk stink is strong and reminds me of a feed lot. I enjoy seeing that the water is foul from elk use. Water does not get too nasty or dirty due to elk use for an elk to enjoy it. Like Bill said I find secluded spots, especially near bedding areas, with what I call quiet water are great places to wait for elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

thanks men. i will change my tactics with this info
bnsafe

First Name: Scott