Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting Question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting Question

Postby GWH » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have been doing a lot of scouting this summer and seen a lot of elk, but I know things could change by the time my hunt rolls around come September 1. So my question is, are rubs good indicators that there will be elk in that same general area come the rut? I have come across quite a few old rubs in different areas. Do bulls only rub around the rut, or would they rub while shedding as well?
GWH

Re: Scouting Question

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

GWH, here's a thread in the archived tips section that may answer some of your questions. If you have more questions or want clarification, just add a new post to this/your thread ;) RJ

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1361
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I went and read the thread at the link. How nice is that being able to access something that has been so well covered already. I thought it was a great thread. Thanks Phantom!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby GWH » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the link. There was alot of good info in there. Yesterday while out scouting, every single rub I saw was in a saddle. Is there a reason for that or do you think that was just a coincidence?
GWH

Postby otcWill » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

They often rub in their bedding areas. If this saddle is a bedding area then that's the reason for the concentration of rubs in one spot. Still should be a great place to be come season if there is fresh sign in there now. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

GWH: There is a reason you find rubs in saddles. That is where the bulls are traveling through. Rubs are in bedding areas and along travel corridors. If you find a spot along a travel route where there are a lot of rubs, that is likely a good location to ambush a bull, if you are patient and willing to wait. It may take several days of waiting. If you are scouting an area I would figure out is the bulls are staying in the area or if they just travel through while on a large circuit.
You are seeing a lot of elk which is good, but I often try to go in and out of my areas totally avoiding any contact with the elk while scouting. If I see fresh sign I am satisfied.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Lots of rubs combined with lots of track and lots of droppings is my dream world. I know that the elk are using the area. The rubs on big trees, though, isn't as exciting to me as the rubs on little saplings. Bulls will demolish saplings and if the sap is still wet, I go into giddy mode. Besides the rubs, look for antler tine marks on the ground, where they hit the base of bushes or toss grass clumps around. Those are good signs.
Bullnuts

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Swede, maybe you are referring to this info I shared in the Tips & Tactics Forum? If so here's the link to it.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42&p=153#p153

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Paul that is what I was looking for, but somehow you posted it on the "other" scouting thread. I don't guess it matters as this looks like the same pictures and is about the same answer, as best I remember. Thanks
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics