Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting newly cut clear cuts?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkmedic » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

As I was out to get feet on the ground of a new area I found at the end of the hunting season last year and scout what's changed, I have found that it was and still is being clear cut. Now I was surprised to see the amount of deer and elk sign in the tracks of the big rigs. Any ideas on whether to keep this as a spot to check in on? Or should i mark it for a few years down the road to hunt as the vegitation grows? I would think that the noise and human presents would push them away.
Elkmedic

Postby iRem » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If they are still cutting 'STAY'! If they are cutting around the area you are hunting 'HUNT IT'! It is know that deer and elk will be in the area with in an hour of cutting down the trees!! They love the fresh bought that they can't reach from the ground! I have many stories about deer and elk venturing to the fresh cuts I don't know where to begin, but to hunt it!!
iRem

Re: Hunting newly cut clear cuts?

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Definitely keep an eye on it! Loggers can relate stories of seeing elk on a regular basis in these areas, lots of feed is available & the elk generally aren't far, who knows by Sept. but there's a good chance the clear cut area will still have some elk hanging around! A lot may depend on easy access by other hunters as well.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have found elk hang around active logging most in the winter. Sometimes loggers will see them in the summer when they come to work in the morning, but the downed trees are not the elk magnet in the summer that they are when good forage is scarce. I would talk to the logger(s) and ask what they are observing. Are they seeing fresh tracks on the skid trails in the morning when thay arrive in the AM? Only in the depths of the winter have I seen elk hang around in the immediate vicinity of active logging. At other times they pull back and wait for the loggers to leave then they may return and feed. The loggers should know what the elk are doing. They know if there is a crossing area they are using, or if there is a waterhole that they are coming to. Don't be surprised to find that the logging activity will change the elk habits over time, so what you see now is not what is happening in September.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby slim9300 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Elkmedic wrote:As I was out to get feet on the ground of a new area I found at the end of the hunting season last year and scout what's changed, I have found that it was and still is being clear cut. Now I was surprised to see the amount of deer and elk sign in the tracks of the big rigs. Any ideas on whether to keep this as a spot to check in on? Or should i mark it for a few years down the road to hunt as the vegitation grows? I would think that the noise and human presents would push them away.

Not really in Western WA at least. They are very much used to it.

They may move through there a lot but it's normally at night. I wouldn't concentrate on that area at all. In 4 years it will be pretty good and after 5-6 it will be the best for hunting. (based on my experience with our "fast" growing trees in WW) Once the trees get over 6-10' it becomes hard to see them even though they are still there. :)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Near new clear cuts is very good hunting - and will be for several years!

Hint:
Find a 'neck' of trees between 2 clear cuts and put up a tree stand :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby iRem » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

If you know where they are actively cutting hunt it! I would only hunt the newly cut areas with down trees. Hunt the drainages or the bottom of the clear cuts. Try it you'll never know until you do, you might be surprised.
iRem

Postby Elkmedic » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for all the imput. The clear cut its self is on the boarder of state land and private property. its not hard to get to but I think the activity will discurage most to follow. its surrounded with a year round watering creek and lots of north facing drainages. Hope to post my success this year.
Elkmedic

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

+1 cnelk.

cnelk, are you following me during hunting season? Oh wait..... maybe I'm following you! :shock:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby slim9300 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 10]

cnelk wrote:Near new clear cuts is very good hunting - and will be for several years!

Hint:
Find a 'neck' of trees between 2 clear cuts and put up a tree stand :)

Hunt the RMZ? Who does that!? ;)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics