Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

hot and dry area tactics

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

hot and dry area tactics

Postby mattstanton » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

The area I plan on hunting the first couple of weekends is gonna be really hot (85-95) and water is sparse. I know of a couple waterholes that everyone and their mother knows about and don't want to deal with the other hunters. I plan on scouting the weekend before season mainly to look for recent sign and hopefully some water that is a ways away from the open roads. I know there are elk in the area because one of my buddies is getting pics just a couple miles away. If I have no luck finding new water, what are some good tactics to use to optimize my time on these short weekend hunts.
mattstanton

Re: hot and dry area tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Good luck in finding some kind of water source. Several years ago we hunted in New Mexico with the same kind of warm weather. Any kind of water or mud hole had several bulls killed off of them. I built a ground blind next to one mud hole a friend that lived there told me about 3 days before the 1st day of archery season. When I went in a hour before daylight opening day there were 3 guys in tree stands all around it. They told me they were locals and told me to move on. The trees were old scrub oaks not even 15 feet tall. 3 bulls were killed off that little mud hole in 3 days. Find some water and sit on it. If not, find a good trail leading to the water everyone knows about a short distance away. You might catch one before he makes it to the water.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I agree with crazyelkhunter. He is like Cooter on The Dukes of Hazard who used to say, "I may be crazy, but I ain't dumb."
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby spyder24 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I agree with the others. If you cannot find another water source, find a well used trail leading into the waterhole and move away from the waterhole a good distance and set up for an ambush on the trail. Mike
spyder24

Postby easeup » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

when things are hot and dry like that you know that is the key. So does everyone else and they have been looking for water also.
You just have to keep that in mind everyday when you hunt. Everyone else wants so get an elk too.

your plan B is to stay on those cooler N slopes in the thick of things. Read the mountain and play the cards only after they are played.
easeup

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I agree with crazyelkhunter. He is like Cooter on The Dukes of Hazard who used to say, "I may be crazy, but I ain't dumb."

Hey Swede! That's funny! Never been called Cooter before. :lol:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Matt, all depends on what type of elk you are after? If any elk, hard to beat blind/cold calling setups! Trails with activity leaving feeding areas to bedding areas. Mineral licks, water with recent activity, wallows. Glassing from vantage points as well as with a Spotter looking miles away on hillsides, draws & basins! In other words Spot & Stalk when elk are still high up & not too vocal.

Blind/Cold Calling, trails & water for any elk!

Bugling & playing on bulls curiosity, Spot & Stalk, Wallows & running & gunning without entering possible bedding areas until the rut picks up! Night calling for location!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mattstanton » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

this year I have limited time to hunt so the first elk, bull or not that offers me a shot is getting the shaft! Meat in the freezer is always #1 and the freezer is empty right now. This area only rises about 2000 feet from the high desert floor and Is made up of long ridges with wide, flat, dry tops and then steep drops of only about 300-600' to the creek bottoms. Most of the small creeks are dry and the main creeks have roads running up them. It is in central oregon near burns. I live in bend and it is closer than my normal hunting grounds but there are some good bulls and lots of elk in the area but this is my first time hunting it.
mattstanton

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Well Matt, you have limited options! (grin) Water is high on the list early season, if it's out because all sources are taken then trails leading to them or trails beat down from bedding to feeding! In flatter country it can be difficult to get the right wind as elk like moving into it! Glassing & Spot & Stalk would most likely be my # 1 choice after water! Get as high as possible, get a direction on their movement & do your best to set an ambush, at times calling can seal the deal when needed to redirect them slightly or stopping them for the shot once you are in under 150yds! It's tougher when they're out of the rut! With little cover & elk being able to see long distances it will be tough to call anything your way where they can look and see your direction & see no elk from the source of sounds. No need to alert them of your presence until an arrow is ready for take-off!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby welka » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 10]

If its hot and dry, usually need to get at the base or 1/4 up the mountain before daylight. Odds are, when its hot, the cows will lead the herd up to bedding very early (if hunting pressure - usually at night) to get to north slopes quickly. Depends on the area, but if they are already up and you start on the bottom, you have 1-2 hrs with the thermal advantage.
welka

Postby ColoradoHunter » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Sounds like a hunting area similar to mine. My area has a dry creek running through it. Even in the dry years there are hidden spots that hold water. One extremely dry year I walked every inch of about 6 miles of this creek bottom, the end result was 5 or 6 spots of water found. It was well worth it.
You also said that there are two spots well known to everyone. Chances are if it's that hot few ppl will be hunting them mid day. I've I'd more than a few bulls visit waterholes midday when it was hot out, especially if the water hole is in cover.
ColoradoHunter

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Coloradohunter, very good points!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul