Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk needing water?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk needing water?

Postby elkohalic » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just wondering how often an elk has to visit a watering hole to drink. can they go a couple days like an antelope ? I'm talking about a fairly dry area without water in every drainage. Will be in late August and early September.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Re: Elk needing water?

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

At least several times a day when it's hot conditions as Aug. Sept. can be!! At times they will go great distances for water & in other areas a hundred yds. In areas where water is scarce these waterholes can be a gold mine! (grin) Elk eat in the lbs of food a day, moisture can be had in this as well but also need water supplement to nourish themselves, they take in quite a bit of water each day!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkohalic » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks a million Paul, here's another question I have often wondered about. When elk come out into the open above timberline' do you know what they are eating up there? Seems like there is plenty of food in the timber, just wondering if there is a fancy food there up there that their munching on.
elkohalic

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I do not know what the name of the plant is that elk feed on higher up. I've never been concerned with plants of use all the years we've hunted elk. We go by vocalness or sightings by glassing. Volcaness in most cases! It has worked very well for us, it gives away their position the quickest!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Elk coming to water varies quiet a bit. In the hot weather the holes may be hit any time of day. They may come in early on their way to their bedding area. Often I have had elk skirt by my water hole on their way to their bedding area about mid morning. Even though they often stay out of shooting range, I don't get discouraged. They can suddenly get up out of their bed and come back during the afternoon or evening. I have had them bed down above where I was waiting and come in a couple hours later. Sometimes they may go farther away and return ln late afternoon or evening. If a bull bugles out aways from your water hole, he is likely checking to see if another elk is at the water. Just sit quietly and never answer. He will likely come in, but it could take a full hour. This is always a guess as you can't be sure if the bull was checking to see if there is activity at the water hole, or was he just making a location call?

During the rut elk will water more also as they increase their activity, though not so much during the mid-day. Due to the extra watering early season where I hunt, and in the rut period I like being in my tree stand more during those times.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Buckriser » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

This some great info. I have hunt the end of Sept so I'm hoping the rut will be going pretty good. I do have a couple spots with some good water. Will I be better off sitting theses spots? Rather than walking all over the mountain? We have seen lots of elk in theses spots from previous years.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

End of Sept hunting equates into bugling bulls big time! I would not be sitting any water at this time. Instead calling, locating & getting in tight would be my # 1 method of use! Nothing wrong with hunting water but no way could I sit it for long when bulls are rutting! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I am totally different than Elknut in that I would quickly spend my time sitting on a good water hole. I have been tempted to abandon my tree stand when I hear a herd bull going crazy nearby, only to stay and get another within an hour. To each his own. Ultimately it is another personal choice.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 9]

We as hunters will always favor our strengths! Swede's is treestand hunting water sources & he's good at it & very patient! Now I have no issues hunting water sources when things are fairly quiet because a good water source is a "destination spot" -- But our strength is calling in elk when they are rutting! If there's bugling happen we will get to them, evaluate & use a method that will fit that encounter best! I love that part of the challenge more than anything else! (grin) Whatever your strengths are, stick with them & your confidence & odds will rise!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkohalic » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I have always been one to go after the elk, it made me a terrible whitetail hunter when I first moved to Iowa. I have learned to be patient in a tree stand here and it has certainly paid off, but when I get back in the mountains I have a hard time staying in one spot. I have found wallows that I know I should have camped out on, so to speak, [ trust me I know better than to camp on the wallow]. I just know that there is a herd just over the next ridge with a 400 bull running the show, and this keeps my feet moving.
I am able to take off day 1 through the last day of Colorado's elk season this year so I am very hopeful to get a shot at a good bull. If not I will sit through another 11 months remembering the sights that I seen and what I have learned, patiently waiting for the 2013 season. I honestly think this keeps me sane sometimes!
I plan on getting out a couple days early to check my cameras [That I'm putting out in late July or early August] and do a little sitting on high points.
I have found some water holes on google earth that look very promising, and if they look good in person, I plan on tying on leg to a stump at one of them. Well until I hear the first bugle or I remember that my knife will cut the rope binding my leg! LOL.
Dad says it's drier than he has seen in a long time out there so this is the plan so far.
Well I have a full strut turkey to put together today so I better get at it .

Chris
elkohalic