Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Did You Just Say to Me? Episode 1.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Did You Just Say to Me? Episode 1.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Been chewing on starting some elk language interpretation threads for a while. Let’s see how they go. Disclaimer: I’ll try to be a descriptive as possible with the scenarios but please understand I can’t cover all the variables potentially encountered in each of the presented situations. For these threads, let’s assume everybody knows what the different elk noises sound like (cow chatter, locater bugle, screams, chuckles, grunts, alarm barks, nervous grunts, etc.). Remember, it’s all about sharing knowledge from experience, asking questions, and perhaps, learning a thing or two. Phew! That was long winded. Let’s start this first one.

Scenario: It’s early September and you’ve set up in mid to late afternoon on a well used wallow you found a few days before. This is the first time you’ve hunted it. At this time of the day, the thermals have switched and are gently rising uphill. You’ve set up with some good cover to your back (brush and large downed tree trunk that precludes anything from walking in from behind you). You’re sitting above one side of the wallow that allows you some great shooting lanes that range out to about 45 yards. Right about the time you’re seriously considering launching a broad head at an annoying pine squirrel that seems to think he works for ADT, you hear a distant bugle. A few minutes later, you hear the bugle again. The bull seems to be coming your way. Again closing the gap, about 150 yards down and across the basin, a clear “locater bugle” rings through the trees. This dude seems to be on his way to the wallow you’re sitting on! What is this elk communicating and what action, if any, should you take to potentially get a shot? Pretty basic one for this first thread :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What Did You Just Say to Me? Episode 1.

Postby Indian Summer » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'm keeping it simple. It's early in the month so he may be alone. If it's really early in the month maybe he's on a daily pattern. Either way, after waiting all year & sitting around in the early September heat all day he's restless thirsty and ready for happy hour.

At this point he may be wondering if somene got to the bar before him, or at least who else is in the area thinking about heading over to the party. I've never hunted here before but the one thing I know at this point is which direction he's coming from so I'll be quick about finding a good setup spot between him and the wallow while watching the wind. Then listen.

If he's coming my way to wallow or drink I'll let nature run it's course, shut my mouth and wait. If he gives me any reason to think he's heading somewhere else I'm cow calling. I won't get to eager because if it's day 1 in the area I'll consider myself lucky to get this close so fast and be happy if it ends up being nothing more than a learning day. I'm pretty confident that if it's really early in the month and the wallow has been used like I said.... I may have stumbled into his pattern. Some days I'd rather be lucky than good and it sounds like today could be one of those days. If he doesn't come my way and I have time I'll dog him to see where he is going and if I can get smething going along the way.

If it doesn't pan out though.... tomorrow I'll be on him like flies on cowpies not sitting back but making things happen. 8-)

It's been a great day of hunting with you RJ... now go watch tv with your wife. It's the season to earn "bonus points" with her. Besides... maybe there's some elk hunting on the tube. ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby cnelk » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

yep...
let the wallow be the attractor. Sit tight and see what happens.
You never know, there could be another bull coming in silent in front different direction
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Indian Summer » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I was thinking the same thing CnElk... somene has been using the wallow. If he's skittish about coming in maybe somene else owns it so I'm in no hurry to leave for now.

Besides... when it's really early I sometimes have a tendency to think a bit like a deer hunter and be patient. A week later though it's time to forget that way of thinking and run and gun.
Indian Summer

Postby foxvalley » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Not much to add to that,Indian summer and cnelk.Good Job.
If he doesn't come in to the wallow, I might sneek down and splash the water,he isn't coming in anyway,never know.Seems like by us they only hit the same wallow every 3 or 4 days anyway,so I might try him now.I guess the wind would determine if I could pull it off or not.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby ORelksniper » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

He may be looking for company or simply wanting to know if he has the hot tub to himself. Either way, he's talkin' and coming my way. I'm gonna be quiet and let him waltz in. If for some reason he starts moving away at a leisurely pace I'm gonna chuck a rock in the water (assuming there is water and not just mud) and give out a little cow call. No more elk talk from me...just listen and watch. If he doesn't come back, screw him. I've found a nice used wallow and got to hear a bugle. Good day all around.

My question to you guys is: where do you all hunt that you get to hear so many bugles?
ORelksniper

Postby Indian Summer » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

If I told you that I'd have to kill you. L0l

Western Montana in the Bitterroots and western Wyoming. For some reason where I hunt in Wyo they go hard until the end of 0ctober??? Like McDonald's says .... I'm lovin' it!

I will say that in the West Fork of the Root where the wolves are bad the bulls can be pretty quiet. :(

0r maybe the right answer was in RJs threads.
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:If I told you that I'd have to kill you. L0l

Western Montana in the Bitterroots and western Wyoming. For some reason where I hunt in Wyo they go hard until the end of 0ctober??? Like McDonald's says .... I'm lovin' it!

I will say that in the West Fork of the Root where the wolves are bad the bulls can be pretty quiet. :(

0r maybe the right answer was in RJs threads.

There may be a few bugling bulls where I hunt.. perhaps a few :D

Indian Summer said "At this point he may be wondering if somene got to the bar before him, or at least who else is in the area thinking about heading over to the party". Classic and my thoughts exactly. Cnelk said "let the wallow be the attractor (which is probably the case in this situation). Sit tight and see what happens. You never know, there could be another bull coming in silent in front different direction". Money right there IMO. A locater bugle is a social call used to check out who's in the neighborhood. A response from the hunter, from the wallow area, could certainly turn this bull in another direction.. A bull coming towards a wallow will oftentimes call to "see who's there", whether he has cows or not. IMO, the worst thing one can do is make a sound if a bull is steadily working his way in towards the wallow. If he strays from his course, then certainly some pleading cow calls may bring his attention back to you, the hunter. Patience and a knocked arrow is the key in this situation. Anyone else care to chime in? Good stuff gentelemen.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 9]

You have not called from your stand so he isn't saying anything to you! (grin) He's wanting to know if there are any occupants at the wallow or nearby. If a response comes from it or near it three things can happen, he bull rushes it in a frenzy, or he slips in very cautious with no more calling or he avoids the wallow all together. This is what a bugling bull wants to know as he approaches a wallow vocally. DO NOT CALL. This wallow is a destination spot, he's coming in anyway so don't throw a wrench into it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Just about everyone has pretty much nailed this one. But there are a couple of angles to the dangle that no one has mentioned. But first, I'm sitting tight as long as I can and let things play out. The wallow itself is the calling card. No need for me to screw that up with any calling of my own.

The first thing RJ mentioned that could mess things up is the thermal is still going up. So your time spent at the wallow could be limited unless you have a situation where you can adjust your ambush location when the thermal changes. If that isn't possible, I'd get out of there when the thermal shifts. This is just too good of a setup to mess it up by letting him smell you. And if it is a well used wallow, I'll want to hunt it several evenings.

Outside of that, the 45 yards that RJ mentioned is really pushing it for my shooting ability. 30 yards or under would be alot better for me personally.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

RJ your response to Indian Summer is right on. I have seen this scenerio play out numerous times. I believe the bull is just checking to see if there is another elk at the wallow. I have answered them back after a few minutes a few times. That was a huge mistake. I learned years ago, that unless you positively know the bull has left, he is still out there just waiting. Many bulls come to a wallow wired and ready to bolt with just the slightest hint of a predator or competitor. It is about 4:00PM; my interpretation of your "mid to late afternoon" scenerio. I wish I was up a tree at this point as I consider the same thing going through WW's mind. Dang fickle wind thermals. It is likely to take an hour before the bull approaches the wallow, and it may be two hours. The only thing I would do is be absolutely sure I am ready, stay low to the ground, and stay quiet. As many of you may emember in my description of the bull I shot this past 2012 season. I waited a full 15 minutes for him to advance about 20 feet to where I could get a clear shot. That bull stood, looked, listened and smelled for a long time before he advanced. At a time like that you want your heart to pump slow and easy. You even want your eyeballs well lubricated so there is no sound when you blink.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics