Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Should You Do? Scenario 6.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Should You Do? Scenario 6.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

22 September, early morning on a sidehill in (insert elk state). You've worked in close to a bull with cows...within 80 yards. You've dogged these guys for 1/4 to 1/2 a mile uphill in some pretty steep terrain, off to one side, as the thermals are coming down mid morning.. in an attempt to remain undetected by the multiple noses in the group. The bull had responded to your locater bugle a few times with menacing challenge bugles and grunts warning you to stay away. For the last 25 minutes, you've kept your mouth shut (not a peep on your diaphram) as you've determined he (the bull) or the lead cow is moving the herd up the sidehill away from you and to the bedding area. The big guy has stopped a few times and knocked the snott out of some innocent trees. Let's say it's 0840. As you run when it's open, walk on elk trails, and crawl in the thick stuff to get a bit closer, you detect movement above you... to the right... in the direction of where you think the bull and cows are. It's a cow and she has locked eyes on your movement. You freeze, you know she has seen your movement, but you're in cover so she really is not too sure what you are. The cow "barks" at you no more than 40 yards away, turns and looks over her right shoulder uphill in the direction of the herd, and then looks back at you.. You're pinned down for the most part. What should you do.. Geez, I've never been here before. ;)

I know it's tough to answer without being there and knowing all the variables but again, it's just a medium to offer suggestions and share ideas.. Back on topic.... You're close to the herd with a bull/cows and a cow (perhaps a sentry) has kind of pinned you down. What should you do with the information provided? Bull only area..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What Should You Do? Scenario 6.

Postby flystrait » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I would bark right back and turn it into a scream. Immediately after I would cow call frantically, this should get his attention and I would be ready to shoot in self defense. Especially since they are above you and the thermals will change shortly and she already barked at you. I was in this similar situation a few years ago and nothing was going to stop that bull from kicking my *** except the arrow in his chest at 5 yards. Whoo I still crap myself thinking about it..
flystrait

Postby foxvalley » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

RJ
I think flystrait just sent this one into the DOA file. What he did worked,and not only did it bring in the bull,but he shot it at 5 yds.,and fellas,did you see the size of that thing!? Great job flystrait,both on the kill,and doing the right thing at the right time.

Before I read flystrait answer, I was thinking of a nervous bark,but I didn't think to scream. I really think I would have messed this one up by not thinking fast enough,and getting the bull to commit.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby easeup » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

...................The cow "barks" at you no more than 40 yards away, turns and looks over her right shoulder uphill in the direction of the herd, and then looks back at you.. You're pinned down for the most part. What should you do.. Geez, I've never been here before.

ya think?

same here guys....I get out the nervous bark reak quick too.

never would have thought to scream out the challenge.
easeup

Postby flystrait » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

foxvalley wrote:RJ
I think flystrait just sent this one into the DOA file. What he did worked,and not only did it bring in the bull,but he shot it at 5 yds.,and fellas,did you see the size of that thing!? Great job flystrait,both on the kill,and doing the right thing at the right time.

Before I read flystrait answer, I was thinking of a nervous bark,but I didn't think to scream. I really think I would have messed this one up by not thinking fast enough,and getting the bull to commit.

LOL, I have not posted that bull up yet. But they all look big when in close.

The only reason I would screm back in that situation is the herd bull already new that another bull was dogging his herd and he showed some display of aggresion based on raking the trees and etc. Part of him did not know where this other bull was that has something to do with why he kept bugling to the other bulls locater as they were moving away. When in close like that my expereince is more fight/protect than flight..

CK
flystrait

Postby Black Wolf » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

flystrait wrote:I would bark right back and turn it into a scream. Immediately after I would cow call frantically, this should get his attention and I would be ready to shoot in self defense. Especially since they are above you and the thermals will change shortly and she already barked at you.

Completely agree!

Ray
Black Wolf

First Name: Ray
Last Name: Cook

Postby Indian Summer » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Huh looks I was late getting to this party. Once again I show up just in time to help pack this one out!

I just wanted to say thanks RJ for taking the time to put these together AND tell you that you are sure getting better at it. In the early scenarios I know you'd get a pile of questions about the variables instead of answers. You've got it covered now.

Where r we goin' next??? ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby foxvalley » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

flystrait wrote:I would bark right back and turn it into a scream. Immediately after I would cow call frantically, this should get his attention and I would be ready to shoot in self defense. Especially since they are above you and the thermals will change shortly and she already barked at you. I was in this similar situation a few years ago and nothing was going to stop that bull from kicking my *** except the arrow in his chest at 5 yards. Whoo I still crap myself thinking about it..

Sorry flystrait, You had a couple bulls posted in the "50 yds. no problem thread,just went back that one was killed at 3 yards,not the 5 yard bull LOL.If the one you shot at 5 yards is bigger than the one at 3 yards,I don't think I want to see it................LOL.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton