Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blind Calling Setups With Photos!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

There's lots of questions about what is Blind or Cold Calling when it comes to elk hunting & their associated setups. First we need to define what this type of calling setup is or means as a whole & what to expect from them. Blind/Cold Calling means elk are not vocal at the time we are hunting so we hunters use a setup in one spot with the use of a variety of elk sounds, the sounds used are dependant on phase of the rut, could be anytime during the month of Sept. - late Aug. & Oct. as well. During these setups we use sounds to encourage elk to come our way to investigate this small group we are imitating, this setup can also be used with just one elk or elk sound in mind as well. We generally will sit this area up to an hour depending on how elky we feel it is. When elk come our way they can come in silent or running in, you never know how ones may react so we are always ready as can be, the longer the wait the harder it becomes to keep attentive & still. Elk generally are not vocal as they approach, they just slip in. There are occasions when elk will bugle or cow call as they are in search of these elk they had heard as they come our way but this can not be counted on.

When choosing a "setup spot" be strategic in your choosing, pay attention to your surroundings & wind direction so you can pick the best possible area that puts the odds in your favor as elk approach. Be aware of terrain features that may keep elk from coming to you even though they are interested, be aware of large openings, tons of non-negotiable downfall, rivers or deep streams, these can impede an elks approach. Always feel elk will show up in every setup, this will help keep your senses on high alert during your stay. Do not fidget around & constantly go through your pack & make human noises, elk can pick up on these things & slip away without you ever knowing they were there.

Most of this info & more can be found in the ElkNut PlayBook.

I'm going to share photos of good setups & bad setups, this should help ones have a good idea what to look for & what to stay away from.

The first ones are bad setup spots, as you can see here it's too thick or too open. Too thick & you can't see elk even if they were 15yds away. If too open then elk have the tendency to hang up at the spot that they feel they are at & should be able to see elk where they know our calling came from, elk are very sharp & can pick a small spot where sounds are coming from as far as 1/2 mile away. Proper setups are crucial to ones success.

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1759.jpg
DSCN1759.jpg (121.03 KiB) Viewed 15505 times
DSCN1824.jpg
DSCN1824.jpg (75.2 KiB) Viewed 15507 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Blind Calling Setups With Photos!

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

LOL! I looked at your pictures before I read your post and thought you had lost your mind. I totally agree that both are bad setups.

However, if you actually saw an elk passing thru the area of the second picture, there are possibilities for a setup there. But then again seeing an elk in that location would be a long shot.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby scrubs » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the great info, and the pic`s Elknut.

Very beautiful country.
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks!

OK, now for many more areas to consider, here are good looking setup areas, note how you have plenty of cover but not too much, elk must come close before they can see source of calling, Force them into search mode & do not allow them the luxury of hanging up in too open of areas.

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1737.JPG
DSCN1737.JPG (236.96 KiB) Viewed 15429 times
DSCN1731.JPG
DSCN1731.JPG (251.3 KiB) Viewed 15429 times
15 2008 6x6 Bull.jpg
15 2008 6x6 Bull.jpg (160.11 KiB) Viewed 15429 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ORelksniper » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Really good info Mr Elknut. Read it before in the Playbook and the website but the "show and tell" approach works well for me.

Thanks for posting.
ORelksniper

Postby Buglemaster » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I know its more the exception than the rule, but we have called, harvested & missed multiple bulls from this exact location.It is a south facing slope covered with oak brush & sage.We deploy a couple of decoys slightly above us on this ridge. The elk are coming or going to their morning bedding & evening feeding areas which is a hugh hay field 3/4 of a mile south. It is a travel corridor they use every fall & I presume much of the summer.It is adjacent to a real big private ranch that holds tons of elk. The rancher only allow$ a half a dozen hunter$ from California in there each year.(Note the $$ sign's... I killed a bull a couple years ago that came thru the sage for close to 3/4 of a mile.He had just lost his rights to a small group of cows & was feeling terribly dejected. We just told him there was a party goin on right now & here he came..on the run! It's a special place that we cannot get into anymore, but man we have some great memmories.
Attachments
Bull Basin.jpg
Bull Basin.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 15415 times
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby easeup » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

well said Paul.
the description of the country and the set up was clear as to what you meant without the pics.
But pics can only help right?

through out a little follow up on what would change with a cold call setup depending upon the hour of the day.
easeup

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Buglemaster, thanks. Yes, there are times elk can be called through openings or longer distances. As many hunters will attest too it's more common for a hang up than it is their appearance within bowrange. It's like a guy coming on here & saying he bugled & a bull came running into 25yds to him & he killed him! We all know this can happen but what are your odds it happening regularly? You know the answer. (grin)

easeup, setups before 9am elk are near feeding areas so this is a decent place to be & use the blind/cold calling. Between 9-10am or so elk should be in transition from feeding towards bedding areas so you'd need to be in between these areas. In the 10am-11am to dark be near their bedding areas for best setups! You gotta be where elk can hear you or it's to no avail.

OK, what do you folks think on this photo, good setup or bad setup area?

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1781.jpg
DSCN1781.jpg (106.49 KiB) Viewed 15347 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have to say I am one of those guys that got lucky and called one in on open country. Had patches of cover and maybe is the only thing that helped me or maybe because I was next to a thick draw? Either way knowing what I do now I wouldn't expect to get that lucky again.
On the last picture I guess I would say its not a good spot. Looks like you are in an area with small growth and really thick timber on the edges. Elk may hang up on the edge? You could also use this to your advantage if you were with another hunter possibly by one setting up on the far side with the other getting more aggressive and heading towards the timber in the direction the elk is or may come from. But either way from what I have learned it may be too much of a transition in cover. And that is where I would expect them to hang up.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby cnelk » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Paul

I would have to think that if you took the pic, it would have to be a pretty good spot... :-)

I like it
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Solitude » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Too much stuff in front of you, not enough lanes, too much deadfall.
Solitude

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Looking at a picture like the last one is like having tunnel vision. We can't see what else is around the area. But basically, If the caller and/or shooter have some good background cover, there is a lot of opertunity to draw your bow when the elk has his head behind a bush and can't see you.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 13]

ElkNut1 wrote: OK, what do you folks think on this photo, good setup or bad setup area? ElkNut1

Shoot Paul, that' a "park" where I hunt up north of you :).. I'd take a spot like that every day for a setup. Sure it's sprinkled with trees, rocks, and body cavity level branches but it's a heck of a lot better than 10 foot alder brush. Cool thread.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby MTLongdraw » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I would say its a good set up. Is it Elknut??? I would just have to think I may have to be prepared to not shoot if I don't have an ethical clear shot.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Thanks folks for checking the photos out! In reality it is exactly what hunters should be looking for when seeking out cold/blind calling setups! You need to have elk in "search mode" as they look for the source of the calling. You need fairly tight quarters as this is what keeps bringing them to you, you need them in bowrange before you can do anything with them. If you are having issues with calling elk in for the most part with blind calling setups it may be you are not selecting good tight areas. Force these curious elk to come to you. If an elk still stands out at 50yd-60yd & gives chuckling or a nervous grunt stay silent, he knows he heard them in your area, he will more than likely continue his search.

We've called in countless elk into these type setups. If elk come in & an ethical shot doesn't present itself that's just part of hunting. I'd rather have elk at 30yds or under with no shot opportunity than too open of an area & not have them closer than 75yds & have no chance at all at a shot. I'm not going to get into if there's 1 - 2 - 3 hunters here, just pointing out the type of cover where elk are more likely to come in close! With this type of cover you do not need a decoy, I've never brought in an elk with one yet & we've called in 100's of elk over the years.

Here's a photo where hunters call from & get hang up after hang up! Why? It looks great doesn't it! It's a 100yds to the other side of meadow.

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1852.JPG
DSCN1852.JPG (281.65 KiB) Viewed 15280 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby easeup » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 16]

not the last pic with the meadow, but the previous one with the downfalls....
lets pull some more on that one.

here on the couch I percieve that one to be on the N slope just off the top before the mountain starts to roll off in a steeper slope.
It looks dark and tight in front of me and thats where I spend alot of time. two thoughts come to mind about this one that I will throw out there for comment.
maybe the light of the pic...but it looks bright where I am and dark where they are. I want it reversed. maybe the wind is such I can move around a little and get in a shadow?

the other would be the old rule the elk will be a third the way down from the top (mid day napping)....and if my couch assessment of the location weretrue, I might risk moving down the mountain a little farther to set up for the coldcall. No? or maybe this sweet little spot is a little farther down than I think and is sort of a bench area surrounded by dark and blowdown,( in which case we are in and lets nock one first :) )
easeup

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Lack of experience on my part I guess! Thanks for the thread, it's a great way to learn what to look for in these situations. When I first posted I just tried to put myself in that spot and it didnt seem right. And its funny becuase the second photo looked good to me with a little more cover in the opening. HAHA just a lack of experience like I said.

If walking in new territory would anyone stop at this point mid morning and try a cold calling sequence before moving on?
I plan on hunting early Sept. roughly the 7th through the 17th.
I know there could be endless variables to the question I just asked but any general answer would help.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby cnelk » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Here is a short vid of an elk I called in last fall in one of my fav spots.
Its a totally blind setup, but usually an elk comes in...

This is link is also in another post I made about if the bull is legal in Colorado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYccZlVuLg
cnelk

Postby Fullabull » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Brent, to your last question "If walking in new territory would anyone stop at this point mid morning and try a cold calling sequence before moving on?"... Absolutely!! I call all the time even while walking between areas. I have had elk/bulls answer me while just walking around. As long as you sound like an elk, as far at they are concerned...you are an elk :)
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 20]

easeup, regardless of where the photo was taken the point is it's best to have decent cover as in the photo to pull elk in close! It's one thing to have elk come your way & stay out of range with too little cover & have them come your way that forces them to come closer in search of!

Check out cnelk's video, that's great cover there, notice how the elk stops & scans the area & continues to move forward looking for the elk he heard. If the are would have been too open there's a good chance it would have stopped well out of range as he scanned the area.

Brent, getting to an opening like the last photo & staying back so not seen & calling in hopes of a bull responding is a normal sequence to get a direction as to where elk are. The reason for the photo with the large open meadow was because so many hunters will use an area as that to do a 45min cold calling sequence, why? Because it allows them to see out in hopes of getting a visual of oncoming elk. Problem is elk too can see across such meadows & it's a great hang up spot when elk are given the opportunity. When calling for elk you don't just want to see or hear them you want them close enough for a shot! Put the odds in your favor & make them come in close! A good setup is paramount to ones consistent success!

Here's another photo of a great place to consider for a solid setup! A hunter can be right near those short pine trees right up front there just before the opening, it looks tight there but look closely & you'll see it opens up in front of them It takes areas like this so elk are comfortable to keep coming forward as they look for the elk that they heard!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1779.jpg
DSCN1779.jpg (121.51 KiB) Viewed 15156 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby nshunter » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Good information all!!
nshunter

First Name: Bernie
Last Name: Boudreau

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Not trying to change the subject, but I would like to make a comment about Brad's video. The bull came in on full scanning mode looking for another elk as he should have. But did you notice when he got in close how he locked in on the camera man? I have noticed this same reaction many times on some of the TV shows. And I believe they can here the camera running and it attracts their attention. It could either help or hender a setup depending on the situation as the elk is locked in on the camera but not the shooter. What do ya'll think?
>>>---WW---->

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 23]

WW, no doubt it could happen. BUT, that bull was plenty close enough to kill, Brad just wasn't wanting him so that allowed the bull to continue on his path to come very close to them. If Brad wanted to stop the bull for a shot all he'd have to do is give a nervous grunt as soon as the bull turned his back on him. If the bull would have smelled them it could be a different story but I don't think that happened? Brad would know!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cnelk » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 24]

The wind was perfect in my video.
I just made one series of calls and then I saw legs coming.
He must have fairly close!

I relate all my 'cold calling' setups to something like this...

You are in your favorite recliner watching TV and something falls or bumps in another room of the house.
You know your house so well you go right to that exact spot to check it out.

Thats what I believe elk do, they go right to the spot of the sound they heard 'in their house'...
cnelk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I agree with both of you but you missed the point I was trying to stress. And that is that he probably heard the camera. I've seen it many,many times with deer that are filmed. No calling involved at all. The deer walks by and for no apparent reason at all, it looks up directly at the guy running the camera.

It is uncanny how sharp their hearing as well as other senses are.
>>>---WW---->

Postby cnelk » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 26]

WW
I just checked my camera.
It doesnt make any sound while recording a video.
Its just a pocket digital camera, the elk in the vid may have seen me move as I was holding the camera with just one hand and
prob not being real steady.

Who knows, I have had elk do the same thing when I wasnt using a camera too ;)
cnelk