Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Call from a tree stand?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Call from a tree stand?

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Question from our good friend Swede.

How (specific sound to use) and when is it prudent to call elk from a tree stand?
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Call from a tree stand?

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have no experience in tree-stand hunting but will be trying it opening weekend this year. Swede, can you give use your experience and thoughts on it.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'll take a stab before Swede tells me where the bear shit$ in the woods ;) I'm with you John and have minimal tree stand experience. I would say that a tree stand is set up at water areas, wallows, well used trails, travel routes, etc. and is used as a "death from above" (sorry for the Army airborne reference) ambush tactic to put an elk's nose in the dirt. This said, it is probably not in a hunters best interest "most of the time" to call from a tree stand. I'm sure there are times when it is appropriate (to garner a bull's attention that is sounding off in the next steep draw for a period of time). So, my answer is in most situations, it is not prudent to say a peep from a tree stand. I would ask however, is a nervous grunt appropriate (or perhaps in a soft cow mew) when in an elevated ambush position to stop a wapiti for a split second to take the shot?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If I am in a tree stand, I'm sitting over a wallow. The wallow will bring the bull in. Thats why I am there. My opinion might be different than others, but the only sounds I make are quick cow sounds "after" the shot to settle the bull down. There's always a chance of calling in a bull, but also a chance of pushing a bull that has been hitting the wallow out of the area. If your calling from the stand, your taking the ambush, easy shot out of the set up. ;) If your stand is over a trail, you might use a small cow sound to stop him for a shot like a whitetail, but make sure you are at full draw, he might spook. He's not used to cow elk in trees. :shock:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby cnelk » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

In my time of hunting 'from above' , I have had good success of giving a few cow calls and have elk drift in.
In this tree stand location there is no wallow or trail or bedding area, just an area where there are elk.
The cover is fairly tight, and shooting lanes are cut.
Just like the ol' days of WT hunting
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby elkmtngear » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I can only say I have done this, and killed quite a few elk doing it. I'm sure Swede will have much more experience.

This bull was killed in such a manner. He had one cow. I watched him at 150 yards for the longest time. I would cow call, and he and his cow would ignore me.

As they started to walk off, he let off a small bugle, so I immediately came over the top of him with a spike squeal. Without hesitation, he charged toward me, stopped in front of the stand, stomped his foot and made a popping grunt. 10 seconds later there was an arrow in his boiler room.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby cnelk » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

A view from one of my tree stands... after I called this elk in

cnelk

Postby cnelk » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

And a view about an hour later

cnelk

Postby GetemDuck » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

deer hunter call from treestands all the time, I would guess that elk would be no different. a good tree location, good camo and good scent control and you should be fine.

Just my two cents worth anyways.
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby Swede » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

As far as I am concerned RJ and Bill nailed it. I like Cnelk's answer for his set up, Elkntngear 's experience is interesting too. I have called in elk the way you describe. I think the key there is that the bull was going away and you had nothing to lose. As long as the elk were hanging around, I would leave them alone, as I believe your chances are better by being patient.
The problem I have observed is with hunters who have calls nice and handy. They get bored in the stand and want instant success, so they start blowing or squeezing those calls. Bad idea. If you are bored, then read a book, or play a game of sudoku.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:The problem I have observed is with hunters who have calls nice and handy. They get bored in the stand and want instant success, so they start blowing or squeezing those calls. Bad idea. If you are bored, then read a book, or play a game of sudoku.

This applies not to just tree stand hunting!
Wide words once again
cnelk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

That's a tasty looking little critter you got there Brad!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics