Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Be Aware Of Those Pacing Buglers!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Be Aware Of Those Pacing Buglers!

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

For those who don't have a lot of years under their belt in the elkwoods here's a tip that could make the difference in a punched bull tag! There are times you will come across bulls that will pace back & forth (bugling) advertising themselves in an effort to draw cows their way. They can position themselves on knobs or hills where you can see them hundreds of yards away although with plenty of timber for cover between them & you, it's a good time for a possible stalk. These bulls that are not ridgerunners or on the move until satisfied are generally bulls with a cow or several cows in the vicinity so they stay right their pacing back & forth. This pacing can be 20yds or 80yds. Be aware though that cows or a cow could be present as this bull bugles & paces. I've seen bulls do this for 45min nearly non stop. You really have to be looking for the cows that are there so you don't alert them of your presence. Just a heads up so we don't get so focused on the bull bugling we ignore looking for other critters!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Be Aware Of Those Pacing Buglers!

Postby bnsafe » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

great tip paul, turkeys did that same thing back home. no matter what you said to them they were not leaving that area.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Trophyhill » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My first experience with a pacing bull was just like described. He was on a knob pacing. I ran out of cover at about 100 yards from the pacer so I set up and tried cow calling him. He would leave his cows and come towards me but turn around at about 60 yards and go back to his cows not presenting a good solid shot opportunity. This went on for about 30 minutes til he took his cows and left. This all started as the sun was coming up. Pacing bulls = a harem and possible satellite bulls trying to hook cows.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby eriks. » 07 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

bnsafe wrote:great tip paul, turkeys did that same thing back home. no matter what you said to them they were not leaving that area.

I was just thinking the same thing. I've been able to use that as advantage at times in the past.

I always wished that turkeys had antlers...then maybe I wouldn't feel the need to drive 750 miles one way to go hunting! lol

Good info to know, Paul.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons