Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thermals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thermals

Postby Deafirishman » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have been doing a little research on hunting thermals. What's everyone's take on hunting thermals and using them to your advantage ? I have bought a few windicators so I will be constantly aware of the wind direction. Thanks for the input.
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Re: Thermals

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Here's my take: Obviously you're going to have downhill thermals early and late. The early thermals are most predictable because the ground will take quite a bit longer to heat up than the air, so you'll have a more consistent wind, especially if you stick to the shady side of hills. There is a point, though, at around 10-11 am every day when, absent a storm, that the wind will begin to swirl. I believe that is caused more by the ground temperature than by the air temperature, and the low lying air begins to rise and push against cooler air at higher altitudes. The higher air, being much cooler, is still attempting to sink at that time, which causes a tumbling effect that results in the swirl. Staying in the dark timber, where the ground remains fairly consistent, will help to control that low level push of air and the majority of wind will be at treetop level - there will still be a thermal effect, but not to the degree that you will find on southerly facing slopes.

Afternoon thermals are the worst. You're dealing with a cooling wind that is able to sink lower in the column as the ground cools, but you'll have a lot of heat retaining features - dark earth, trees, bushes, compost, etc. to deal with. I've found that the afternoon thermals may be completely different on one side of a valley than the other, simply because of sun exposure. So you might have an uphill thermal on one side and a downhill thermal on the other, which, of course, causes a major swirl in the middle.

Luckily, though, the ground will cool fairly rapidly once the angle of the sun changes and by 5 pm, with the shadows beginning to extend and the sun setting, the thermals should switch back to a more consistent direction.
Bullnuts

Postby Z Barebow » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I concur with Bullnuts. Thermals are general trends, depending upon time of day. Variables which change things are impending storms, cloudy days, strong wind, etc.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Coveyleader » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Bullnuts is right on. The only thing I will stress a bit more is thermals go out the window when you have storm fronts come through. These periods are very hard to hunt since the wind/thermals never hold.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby ferris bugler » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I agree with Bullnuts. I also think that if there isn't much wind in the early morning once the sun hits you may see thermals rising on the ridges and falling in the drainages. Or like Bullnuts said going up the sunny side and falling down the shady side. For me one of the most important things, if you hear a bull bugling in the late afternoon while the sun is still up, BE PATIENT and wait for the wind to die and the thermals to kick in.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

There are times when you can be confident in the wind direction. Sometimes it is shifting from upslope to down. Even then you may be able to hunt an area from the sides. Often when the wind is shifting and totally erratic, the best thing to do is back away and wait. As a tree stand hunter I like to set my stand fairly high in a tree to help alleviate the problem of downdrafts. Often when the winds are changing, a tree stand can give you another opportunity to hunt effectively.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:There are times when you can be confident in the wind direction. Sometimes it is shifting from upslope to down. Even then you may be able to hunt an area from the sides. Often when the wind is shifting and totally erratic, the best thing to do is back away and wait. As a tree stand hunter I like to set my stand fairly high in a tree to help alleviate the problem of downdrafts. Often when the winds are changing, a tree stand can give you another opportunity to hunt effectively.

Good point. It's interesting how different the wind can be at different elevations, whether you're high enough to have the wind blowing over you, or with a downdraft, finding that it's blowing up and away again about half way down the tree. I've had deer walk right under me with the wind blowing straight into them, but my scent was obviously over them or catching another up draft. Wind is fickle.
Bullnuts

Postby Deafirishman » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks guys !! I do appreciate the input very much. This site is pretty amazing. I am learning a ton of new information every day. I have been putting a ton of time in preparing for my trip to Idaho this September. First time in Idaho after a few years in Colorado. The season is fast approaching and really looking forward to seeing if all my hard work has paid off. Thanks again for the help and wish all of you nothing but the best of luck this season. Hope to hear some stories of your hunts.
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron