Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

solo set ups

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

solo set ups

Postby bowgy » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Does anyone have any insights on solo set ups? I understand the basics, get in front or cover or next to it have shooting lanes etc. It all sounds logical but it seems like when I get a bull going and think it's time to move in a little closer is usually when he decides to come in and I end up between good set ups. Probably the best bull I ever called in did this and as I saw him coming right at me in some timber I just squatted down by a log and he came to the log and stood there looking for me and I could have poked him with my bow but I didn't even have time to knock an arrow.
bowgy

Re: solo set ups

Postby Pop-r » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

First thing, If you're working a bull that close you should have an arrow knocked long before "crunch time." Second, your setup doesn't have to be and sometimes won't be perfect. I sense you're sweating the small stuff too much! Deal with what you have. Sometimes very little cover works out better than you could ever imagine.
Pop-r

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Here's my .02. OK, if some something falls off the counter or wall in your house and breaks, you pretty much have an idea where it occured, even if you're in another room. Same principal applies in the elk woods only X10. If you bugle from a spot.. get an answer or prompt a bull to silently come in to investigate an unfamiliar bugle in his area....he knows where the sound came from down to the yard.. If you're not in an "ambush" position to intercept him when he's moving toward where he knows the sound came from, it won't work out more times than not. Whenever I hunt solo, I'll throw out an elk sound (locater bugle, pleading cow call) and immediately move to a down wind position 25 to 40 yards depending on the terrain (alder choked, open, etc.) and setup. When I say immediately, I mean just that. I'll visually lock in where I'm gonna move to before I make a noise.. I do this every time. Bugle, move rapidly to the spot, pull an arow and nock and wait... Many times nothing.. but others, I receive a response and/or a silent elk walking in. When I forget to do this, it always works in the bull's favor :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I'm with Phantom on the "call and move immediately" tactics when hunting solo. I might take it a step further, and stick my decoy in the ground, right before I call. Then I would quickly get to my ambush spot, in hopes that the bull will be focused on the decoy when he gets clear enough to see it.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Don't get down on yourself too much! There just aren't any guarantees in elk hunting where a solo or tag team group will make every encounter work to their favor! There will be times when you were glad you were hunting alone & there will be times that you will feel if you would have had a caller behind you that it could have made the difference in getting an elk!

You are not going to do anything special when hunting elk alone as opposed to two hunters! The solo hunter must get creative to play both roles when needed! Just as you would call & move to a new location when in a setup. Some setups you do not move but you can throw your sound in various directions to throw exact location off to oncoming elk! You may have to have good sized rocks by you so you can toss them where you need oncoming elk to go or redirect them. Other times you need to get aggressive & go right at elk as you cow call excitedly to them. There are tons of encounters you will be in that can prove favorable. Just think ahead & see what adjustments may be needed per encounter. We all can say we should have done this or should have done that after the fact! (grin) But this is part of the learning process!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

One of the biggest mistakes I have made is to call before I have located my go to place and alternate places. By having to pick them out in advance I am also determining where I call from.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I'm with Phantom also. I missed out on a good bull last year, I called and moved... but I didn't move downwind.... big mistake.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton