Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Strategy question for first year elk hunter.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Strategy question for first year elk hunter.

Postby 1bigpaddle » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

My question is what do I do. I'm hunting the northeast black hills of Wyoming. I've found a small herd of elk and have a good idea of where they are and where they are frequenting. However, there is a lot of hunting pressure right now as this year it is open as a general area. Should I spend the weekend trying to follow and call them, or sit tight in the area they seem to frequent and let them get chased (come) to me? What would you do?
1bigpaddle

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Cherveny

Re: Strategy question for first year elk hunter.

Postby cnelk » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

1bigpaddle wrote: Sit tight in the area they seem to frequent and let them get chased (come) to me?

This...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Moose-head » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'd probably sit and let them come to you as well. The other hunters are undoubtedly calling and moving them around. If you can find a spot between the pressure and the 'thick nasty' you might sit there and see what comes about.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Indian Summer » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'll 3rd that. If there is that much pressure I'm sure they are on very educated & on full alert.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 1bigpaddle » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the advice. I was amazed how much pressure there has been. I will sit tight in a funnel area and let people move the elk around. I spoke to a guy yesterday that said the elk herd seems to be moving in a large circle between two mountains. I'll see what happens.
1bigpaddle

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Cherveny

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yes sir, slip into the escape route and as the shooter sit tight & let the elk come to you, the wind has to be right, if they get the slightest whiff of you it's over. That's one of the tough things at an escape route elk tend to head into the wind so choose your spot wisely.

If any sounds are to be used it may be to stop the bull for a shot, do not shoot him if walking bad things can happen! Stop him with a nervous/popping grunt if moving quick & anxious, a cow mew can work if they are moving slow & leisurely. Make sure to range every possible stump, tree, bush etc. so you know the distances before they arrive. Good luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul