Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

escape routes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

escape routes

Postby bnsafe » 10 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

with rifle season in full swing lets talk escape routes. what do you look for when your looking for them, or do you just find them over the years. as a Midwestern hunter for whitetails escape routes were nothing more than a ditch deep enuf to walk in without exposing themselves, or an area around a creek that was extremely thick. what do elk prefer an where do they go.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: escape routes

Postby Swede » 10 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Escape routes and escaping are not the same. An elk that is just escaping may go in any direction to get away. They use cover and terrain to their advantage. I have observed escape routes that get used frequently. They are also often used passes and travel corridors. Where I hunt there are some places, that if I am looking for a wounded animal, that I have lost track of, where I will go. They are often there. These spots have been the places where animals are found dead. Live healthy animals transition from one area to another by going through these same places.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 10 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

With the aide of aerial photos, in conjunction with topo maps, I like to look for timbercuts and strips of standing timber between them.
The elk will use the 'necks' of timer to go between areas or cross roads.
This is probably the only resemblance I have seen see between WT and elk

Something else to look for is game trails that 'slab' the hill. Meaning they dont gain or lose elevation.
They are typically 1/2 way or more up the side of the mtn

And of course saddles are a favorite for elk to get from one area to another
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby tdiesel » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

in my experience elk will go up and over as already stated a spooked elk may turn and whirl any direction but if your talking in a canyon as a whole the elk will most likly go up on over usually through a saddle but im sure others will go other directions too.
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen