Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Adjusting to elk coming from the "wrong" direction

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Adjusting to elk coming from the "wrong" direction

Postby welka » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just a relay of a lesson learned after several set ups gone sour. Here's the situation we've been burnt on several times:
1) We set up to complete a calling sequence(usually 45 minutes) to try and pull a bull from an area we "think" they normally come from.
2) At some point during the calling sequence, we get a response from a bull, BUT he is behind the caller (180 degrees from where we thought they would come from). You have to act quick to adjust when this happens. We just switched the caller to shooter and shooter to caller and thought we would have a chance.

The trouble with our "switch" was that the original caller stayed put and waited for the bull to come with the new caller behind him. Unfortunately, we had several hang-ups because that bull knew within a foot of where that original caller was and stayed out about 60-80 yards.

The key learning is that when you get the "oh -sh__" he's coming from the other way, the original caller(who is now turned into the shooter) MUST TRY TO MOVE TOWARDS the bugle at least 25 yards. That at least gives him a chance if the bull is looking for the original caller. Hope that makes sense and helps a few of you. Good luck
welka

Re: Adjusting to elk coming from the "wrong" direction

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Yes, reposition to get the wind in your favor, but quit all calling when the bull is already on the way, no reason to get him to lock on a spot where he can now see the source of calling & see nothing, put him in search mode! If he's already there then your new caller should have time & cover to now retreat from his position & go away from you & the bull cow calling intermittently as he leaves, this should keep the bull coming but the new shooter must stay silent.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby welka » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

In all of our "learning" encounters, we had plenty of time to let the new caller keep the bull intersted as his initial bugle was a ways off. Its amazing how they can tell within a foot of where they heard the initial calling. Even though we had the bull responding to the new caller, he still came to within 60-80 yards of the FIRST caller! If the original shooter would have moved up, we would have a much better chance at 3 bulls! Live and learn. Next time will be different.
welka

Postby JoeH2o » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

This is exactly what happened to bowelkdown and me. I was the intended shooter and Paul did an excellent job of calling a nice 5x5 in from a country mile away (not kidding, a country mile). Bull came in "almost" how we planned it, but took a brushy detour around my shooting lane (Weird?). About the time the bull got passed me and SCREAMED in between Paul and me, I knew we had to do something different. Of course I waited for the master caller to do something to push the bull back my way so I could shoot at him, but that awkward silence told me something different. Paul had called that bull right up on his lap and the awkward silence was them having a staring contest. I knew at that point I needed to get the bulls attention, so I went away from the bull making noise threw the brush and cow calling. The bull instantly turned his attention away from Paul and came my direction. Paul got a shot, spooked the bull towards me, I got a shot and scared him clean out of the country.
Good times, and a good learning experience. Knowing that the bull isn't going to present the shooter a shot, but could possibly present the caller with a shot is something that could happen on every set up. Both shooter and caller need to be ready at all times to call and/or shoot. (Just make sure Elknut doesn't pass you up and shoot your animal :lol: )
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby bonkellekter » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Another thing to keep in mind is that in most scenarios the bull will attempt to come in down wind of you... Even if you set up on him with the wind in your face!
bonkellekter

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: MacArthur

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

JoeH20, I would never do that. Not on purpose anyway!!! (big grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

When doing this type of calling with two hunters, the basic setup should be for the guys to be 15-20 yards apart and sitting back to back. That way there is hardly ever a need to re-adjust unless one of the guys falls asleep. (ya, it happens)! At least one of you should have an open shot.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Many times there are 3 of us hunting together.
We set up in what we call 'Triangle Elk'

All three are callers. about 60-70yds apart. We just call to each other like a herd. If someone sees an elk, they quit calling. That way the other 2 callers know that something is coming in and can draw it by the shooter. Sometimes we put a decoy in the middle of the 'triangle'

This way all three are callers and any 3 can be shooters. Many elk have succumbed to this method...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K