Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

3 hunter setup question?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

3 hunter setup question?

Postby erictski » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Going out to CO. 3 guys, 2 have tags. Anyone got any tips for two shooter 1 caller setups? How do you set up? Where do you put the call/shooters
erictski

3 hunter setup question?

Postby slim9300 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

erictski wrote:Going out to CO. 3 guys, 2 have tags. Anyone got any tips for two shooter 1 caller setups? How do you set up? Where do you put the call/shooters

2 shooters and 1 caller. Normally all three have tags and you can rotate one guy from caller to shooter at any time depending on the direction the bull is coming in. I have read about a few guys that it's there preferred method of hunting. I'll shoot you a PM with some more info.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: 3 hunter setup question?

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I've done this a few times after I had filled my tag. It still depends on the situation, terrain, etc. Both times worked out that I felt the bull was going to get within 50yds or so and then try and circle to try and get a scent or a visual of me as the caller. I set both shooters out to each side of me about 40yds and slightly in front. Both bulls did exactly that and they were shot at less that 20 yds each. Both of these bulls were hot and screaming, so it did not take much calling, but I was aggressive and mimicked them, which really ticked them off.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby elkmtngear » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

In an ideal situation, once you have a screamer located, try to sneak in within 80 to 100 yds, pop the decoy into the ground, and have the two shooters 40 to 60 yds ahead, and split out at a 45 each direction from the caller. Try to anticipate where the bull will break cover when you set up, and visualize him coming in to try to get the wind off the decoy, he will usually approach in an arc to try to get the wind. Once your shooters dig in, you can call from behind the decoy, break limbs, get aggressive if he responds. He will want visual confirmation from those calls before he makes his approach; lack thereof is what sometimes causes "hangups".

You can also use the decoy as a "shield" when trying to get position....It can cut down on getting busted while moving in.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby bearman da man » 07 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Erictski

My group of 4 hunts in pairs but one year, my bud's son had to go back to school so it was the 3 of us. Our first set up was based on how we always set up for 2 and the bull came in low and circled to the caller. He got the bull but that was not our plan. Later that week, my bud who was the caller and had got the bull, was calling again for us and we did not change our strategy. This time, the bull was above us and our caller could of got him too. While in the cabin that night, with alittle scotch and paper/pencil, we concluded and designed what we call "Deltal Wing". Basically, we alwasy face the wind and have a shooter on each side of the caller about 40 yds. ahead of the caller who has a decoy near him. This way, they can come in on either side of the caller and we have increased our chances for one of us to get the bull. This has worked 2 yrs in a row. Now we call ourselves, the Delta Force!
bearman da man