Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How would you handle this situation?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How would you handle this situation?

Postby balerjoe » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Last year around the second week in September the elk where really quiet. This is in Northern New Mexico. We were able to glass and spot a lot of bulls. They were running together in fact in one situation we counted 7 bulls along the mountain side bedded down. We tried cow calling got no response. They were so quiet we couldn't get nothing or do we hear anything.There were some big boys in this groups but the little guy seemed to be their lookout. He had he fixed on our direction and we couldn't go around because of the wind. I know hindsight is 20/20 but what techniques would have been effective in this situation. The hunt is coming up in a few weeks and in case I encounter something like this I would like to know what everyone thinks.
balerjoe

Re: How would you handle this situation?

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

You mentioned glassing, how far away were you when you called? Were you in the open or thick timber?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I can't see your situation, but I can say that there are times to back off and wait. Not every situation offers a bright solution. If the only approaches are covered by the eyes of a sentinal, or winds that will betray you; then don't run them off. I suppose we have all seen elk that acted deaf to every call we tried especially when we cannot get close. That is the way it goes sometimes. If you run into that situation this season, then you may have the same conclusion you did last year.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I can't even imagine 7 bulls hanging together in mid September, at least not where I hunt in the NW (WA, ID, MT). Aren't there any cows in NM... what are so many dudes hanging together for in the rut....... :shock: ..... it's all a bit suspicious.... :D ... ? Just teasing but it sounds like these guys were not in any advanced phase of the rut (amount of daylight let into their eyeballs) which is odd to say the least. I would guess stalking/ambushing would be your only recourse in this situation. Pattern their feed to bedding routes and set up for them on known travel routes..... Interesting dilema.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I dont have calling down. So stalking is one of my main methods
A well laid stalk only needs a few things. A good wind patience and a plan
Granted; more eyes and some topography might not make it practical
I drew a guided cow hunt on a Utah CWMU.Two guides put 5 of us hunters 40 yards from the closest cows in a herd of 50 elk and 20 mulies
Nothing but sage and some short brush and grass That guide could set up a stalk
Take your time and think it out, make a good plan, and a good back-up

Some time they will need to get up an move,.set up on their exit route

And sometimes you may need to try another time
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Not knowing some specifics, but they were definitely in their comfort zone.
Maybe bumping them softly out of their comfort zone, breaking the group apart would make at least one or more of the bulls more vulnerable.
Sometimes making the first move gets you to make the right decision...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Definitely Spot & Stalk! When Bulls are in Bachelor groups like that it is very evident there is no rutting action happening. As soon as the cows start showing signs of coming into estrus those bulls will be where the action is!

In the meantime take advantage of your situation & watch them carefully & closely for hours on end at times, watch where they head to feed & water, bed. Get a good idea of direction & do your best to ambush them! There are times & areas where you may need to cover 2 miles of ground to get the wind right, do it, it's part of hunting smart! Calling to them at long distances where you looking right at them & glassing is of no benefit, it will net you little yet alert them of your presence, avoid calling at those times! Save your calling until you can get them into cover & the distances are under 150yds. Then you may need to be creative to spark their interest & that's only if calling is a last resort!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul