Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lone Hunter Tactics!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lone Hunter Tactics!

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Let's go over a few of these guys! With so many lone hunters these days let's share a few tips, it could make the difference in this years hunt from punching that tag or eating tag soup! Share a tip that you've used in the past or one you're sitting on waiting to try! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Lone Hunter Tactics!

Postby Swede » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Of coarse tree stand hunting is a very effective lone hunter tactic. In fact I prefer not to have anyone else around when I am in my stand.
If I am out calling alone, cold calling or set for a call and wait routine, I move away a few yards from my calling location so if an elk comes sneaking in he cannot look right in at where I was, and detect movement if I draw the bow on him. Elk have a tremendous ability to come from far away and pin point where a sound came from. The key to making these situations work is planning out where you will call from. Since you are the one initiating the whole thing, there is no excuse for a bad set up. Call from where they will not come in from behind, downwind, or where they can see you from far away.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Duck-Slayer » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Scout!!!!!, start with maps, than boots on the ground, cover the country and find where they like too hang out and travel too and from other areas they like, more time you concentrate on an area the better hunter you will become... knowing the area and how the elk react too other stuff like hunting pressure, cattle, wolves, is half the battle
Matt
Duck-Slayer

First Name: M
Last Name: K

Postby Trophyhill » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Call n move whether dealing with silent elk or vocal elk has been working for me. If I feel like elk are near but not talking or responding to calls in the morning or afternoon, my patience has paid off big time. Total opposite of run n gun. Also the 4:30ish to 5 pm hour seems to be my best time when elk are silent. This seems to be when they get up and start moving around and become very receptive and responsive to a few select sounds.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 22, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Lone hunter calling styles do not differ much at all from tag team calling. The calling is the same but your setup is what's most important to me! As a lone hunter we do not have the luxury of having too large of an opening or openings where an elk can look in the direction of sounds heard & not see the elk being imitated. Yes a Decoy could help but it's not an iron clad thing. We are much better off forcing oncoming elk into search mode as they look for us. If I'm using a breeding sequence or an advertising bugle setup I like having a few rocks at my side so when I hear an elk moving closer, It may be necessary to toss a rock in the direction I need him to head or focus on for better wind or better shot angle, this can apply to various setups as well.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Toby » 05 22, 2014 •  [Post 6]

If you hear one calling on his own, or even one that has responded to you, try sneaking in on him without calling. As much as I like talking to them, hunting solo at times may benefit form saying as little as possible.
Toby

Postby Duck-Slayer » 05 22, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Toby wrote:If you hear one calling on his own, or even one that has responded to you, try sneaking in on him without calling. As much as I like talking to them, hunting solo at times may benefit form saying as little as possible.

this is a great tactic.....
Matt
Duck-Slayer

First Name: M
Last Name: K

Postby twinkieman » 06 01, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I have used rocks as ELKNUT1 suggests with success. The other thing that has worked for me is every setup I call from, I have picked out a place to move to, 10 to 15 yds away from my last calling location. This has been really effective when the bull I am working is very vocal. When cold calling setup HAS to be where elk can not see your calling location until they are in bow range. On a few occasions I have used a decoy, but rarely for me.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby nippip » 06 01, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Trophyhill, would you mind mentioning what some of the select sounds are that you use?
nippip

First Name: nippip
Last Name: W

Postby JPD350 » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 10]

When I set up to call I am like a dog looking for a place to lie down, it has to be perfect! Generally I want to use the terrain, I look for natural funnels, saddles or rock outcroppings and or any distinct changes in the terrain or vegetation. Early morning I am setting up at the sides or where the trails enter the daytime bedding areas, midday I am above bedding areas and the evening time depends on what I have seen through the day. I often see elk get up in the afternoon and move up to the tops of ridges and feed in little grassy areas before they start moving down to the night time water and feed areas, its these areas where calling works the best for me and why I am almost always sitting on ridges in the evening time.
JPD350

First Name: JP

Postby Trophyhill » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 11]

nippip wrote:Trophyhill, would you mind mentioning what some of the select sounds are that you use?

No secrets here. Pleading cow sounds or loud estrus whines or an occasional locate bugle from locations I know sound will travel far.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby phall » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 12]

love the rock idea havnt thought about or been brave enough for that one seems like i have had way too many eyes on me to attempt that... decoy, silent, etc all great ideas, ive used and tried them all. thats why its called hunting we get to evaluate and analyze each and every hunt set then use our experience and learning to make a decision get it right and get that shot. thats is what makes this forum great we share personal experience to help us all make the best educated decisions in the heat of the hunt
phall

First Name: patrick
Last Name: hall

Postby nippip » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Trophyhill, thanks for the sounds. I don't know how to make those yet but will study up.
Cheers Nippip
nippip

First Name: nippip
Last Name: W