Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Top mistakes by rookie hunters...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Top mistakes by rookie hunters...

Postby bald9eagle » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 1]

What do you say are the most common mistakes made by first time elk hunters? I just want to keep picking your brains to gather as much info as I can.
bald9eagle

Re: Top mistakes by rookie hunters...

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Most new hunters were inspired by the success of someone else. They either heard of the success, and maybe saw the animal that was taken, or they read some great story somewhere. It all sounds very simple. Elk hunting is never simple and rarely easy. You need to learn the hunting game, and elk specifically. And you need a little luck. After awhile you know the difference. You know what is under your control and what isn't. A new hunter can get lucky, but that won't last.
#1 I would say is overconfidence.
#2 is the flip side of overconfidence. They are too easily discouraged. Elk hunting is not happening like it was made to sound on this or some other forum.
#3 is over calling. You can call much more in some areas than in others.
#4 is bad calling.
#5 poor shooting ability. The rookie shot his field points all summer at his target on the lawn. He was getting really good. Now, why don't these broad-heads hit where they are aimed?

To their credit most rookies get the scent thing, and they know not to be seen. What they don't know is that if you are careful and move correctly, you can get away with quite a bit of noise You need to try and sound like an elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby adamds22 » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I'm a fairly new elk hunter, this was my 4th season and I think I've just set myself up for little success by choosing the unit I hunt.

I've hunted out of ease because I have a cabin that I can use in unit 18, I've increased my scouting in the area bought game camera's and have seen a lot of animals on the game cameras but in units like 18 I feel like all the scouting in the world can't prepare you for the amount of pressure that the elk get. Now that isn't to say that it isn't possible but there was a 3% success rate in unit 18 in 2014 for archery season....that leaves you with very little opportunity. I have yet to punch a tag for archery or rifle in the 4 years but have decided its time to move on from the ease of hunting granted I have been close but that came with a lot of luck.

I know a lot of Colorado is pressured, especially with the OTC units but there are some decent OTC units that hopefully will pay off more than 18 has for me!
adamds22

Postby Stick » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I think for people coming out west it is the immensity of the country that causes them to make mental errors. Such as trying to hunt elk like whitetail deer. Confining themselves to small areas.
No plan B C or D maybe the biggest of all.
Not all who wander are lost!
Stick

Postby Indian Summer » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 5]

adamds22 wrote:I'm a fairly new elk hunter, this was my 4th season and I think I've just set myself up for little success by choosing the unit I hunt.

I've hunted out of ease because I have a cabin that I can use in unit 18, I've increased my scouting in the area bought game camera's and have seen a lot of animals on the game cameras but in units like 18 I feel like all the scouting in the world can't prepare you for the amount of pressure that the elk get. Now that isn't to say that it isn't possible but there was a 3% success rate in unit 18 in 2014 for archery season....that leaves you with very little opportunity. I have yet to punch a tag for archery or rifle in the 4 years but have decided its time to move on from the ease of hunting granted I have been close but that came with a lot of luck.

I know a lot of Colorado is pressured, especially with the OTC units but there are some decent OTC units that hopefully will pay off more than 18 has for me!

Man that is a darn good post. I think that the biggest mistake people make, and not just by first time elk hunters, is choosing their hunting state or area based on how convenient or easy it is to hunt. It amazes me how many people don't realize that you can get a license every year in several states. Everyone knows there are OTC licenses in Colorado. Many think that's the only state that offers 100% odds on getting tags. Some just dread the idea of learning about license systems in other states let alone trying to decide where to hunt.

But I'd think the number one reason is the shortest or easiest drive. This puts Colorado in the sights of piles of hunters from all of the eastern states as well as some southern ones. I realize that you might lose some hunting time because of a longer drive and that is a legitimate concern. But I'll take more bulls and less people per square mile for 5 days over 10 days of hunting pressured elk. I sure hope the gas money factor isn't plating a role in your decision because when you look at all of the other money you have wrapped up in a hunt a bit more for gas shouldn't change your mind. As a matter of fact it might be the cheapest insurance policy you can buy on your hunt. You might have heard me say before that the longest drive regardless of where you are is the one home with no elk. Ask yourself would I rather drive 1800 miles with empty coolers or 2300 with a rack in the rear view mirror all the way?

In my opinion the number one reason to pick a state is because you think it gives you the best chance to kill elk. Assuming you can get a license for sure why would you go anywhere else? If you do you're just wasting time. All of your scouting and hunting will be for nothing if you decide to relocate and start over. All the time you spent practicing shooting. All that gear you bought. Your hard earned time off of work. All of the hours you spent dreaming about that one shot opportunity. To then decide to hunt somewhere because it's a little bit cheaper or easier to get to. Crazy to me but I really do think it is the #1 mistake that thousands hunters make.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 27, 2015 •  [Post 6]

The first year I went I did not venture off the road far enough. If I made a mile from the truck I thought if I did shoot a elk this far back how would I ever get this big animal out. This last year we stayed at base camp, walk 3 miles in before we started hunting. Also get in shape and put the wind in your face. The biggest one is have fun:)
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Ridge Ghost » 10 27, 2015 •  [Post 7]

A big mistake is not hunting where the elk currently are. It's easy to keep pounding the same area with week-old sign because it's your original game plan, but you need to be flexible and keep moving to new areas until you find fresh sign. This may mean moving camp several times, which is a pain, but you don't stand much of a chance until you find them.
Ridge Ghost

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Revis

Postby elkstalker » 10 27, 2015 •  [Post 8]

One huge mistake is not being prepared. You need to prepare physically, mentally, and your gear, not to mention scouting (real or virtual). Being prepared sets you up for success.

Another is moving too quickly at the wrong times. There are times to move hastily in the elk woods, but in most instances, the slower you move, the more elk you will see and get close too.
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 10 27, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I wasnt assertive.
I sat in my box blind the first few years hearing elk and seeing elk walking away. I was happy seeing elk .
I was trying to generalize white-tail hunting to elk,.. really doesn't work that way
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bald9eagle » 10 27, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:
adamds22 wrote:I'm a fairly new elk hunter, this was my 4th season and I think I've just set myself up for little success by choosing the unit I hunt.

Man that is a darn good post. I think that the biggest mistake people make, and not just by first time elk hunters, is choosing their hunting state or area based on how convenient or easy it is to hunt. It amazes me how many people don't realize that you can get a license every year in several states. Everyone knows there are OTC licenses in Colorado. Many think that's the only state that offers 100% odds on getting tags. Some just dread the idea of learning about license systems in other states let alone trying to decide where to hunt.

But I'd think the number one reason is the shortest or easiest drive. This puts Colorado in the sights of piles of hunters from all of the eastern states as well as some southern ones. I realize that you might lose some hunting time because of a longer drive and that is a legitimate concern. But I'll take more bulls and less people per square mile for 5 days over 10 days of hunting pressured elk. I sure hope the gas money factor isn't plating a role in your decision because when you look at all of the other money you have wrapped up in a hunt a bit more for gas shouldn't change your mind. As a matter of fact it might be the cheapest insurance policy you can buy on your hunt. You might have heard me say before that the longest drive regardless of where you are is the one home with no elk. Ask yourself would I rather drive 1800 miles with empty coolers or 2300 with a rack in the rear view mirror all the way?

In my opinion the number one reason to pick a state is because you think it gives you the best chance to kill elk. Assuming you can get a license for sure why would you go anywhere else? If you do you're just wasting time. All of your scouting and hunting will be for nothing if you decide to relocate and start over. All the time you spent practicing shooting. All that gear you bought. Your hard earned time off of work. All of the hours you spent dreaming about that one shot opportunity. To then decide to hunt somewhere because it's a little bit cheaper or easier to get to. Crazy to me but I really do think it is the #1 mistake that thousands hunters make.

I think Colorado does a much better job of getting info out to NonRes hunters. They are actually selling themselves on being an elk Mecca. You and I have talked before about Wyoming. For most of us flatlanders the thought of big grizzly bears scares us. That is probably the biggest reason that many don't consider Wyoming. Heck we don't even know what kind of bear we would see but they all tend to shake us up!
bald9eagle

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Hunting elk like they do Deer! Not aggressive enough= Big mistake!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 12]

Elk mecca huh? I have heard the saying "Colorado has the most elk" While that maybe true it's not a statement that is as useful as one that says "Elk per square mile". Colorado also has the most elk habitat, basically the entire state, while states like Wyoming and Montana only have mountains on their west sides.

Only parts of MT and WY have grizzlies. Small parts actually. There are none where I hunt.
Indian Summer

Postby ElkStocker » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 13]

This weekend (3rd rifle CO) will be my 2nd year hunting elk. Reading through these tips I noticed a lot of mistakes I was making last year. Thanks for all the advice, it was a great last second read before I head out this year. Good luck to anyone who still has a season this year!!
ElkStocker

Postby cohunter14 » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:

Good post IS. To play devil's advocate, I would say continuing to hunt Unit 18 could be a good idea. You have a cabin there, so I assume you go up there for more than just hunting season. If that's the case, continue to spend time scouting and learning the area when you go up there. If I were you, I would make it a goal to eventually learn the entire unit. Good elk get taken out of Unit 18 every year. It is just a matter of finding out where the elk go when pressured. You will have to find the exact same thing if you start in a new unit, so why not continue learning the one that you already have some knowledge in? The people I know who fill their tags year in and year out are typically the ones that have hunted the same area for years and know it like the back of their hand. While there are some great hunters on this forum, I think they would all struggle a bit if you put them in an area that they didn't know well. Continue learning the area and fill your maps up with notes. Eventually, you could be one of those contributing to that 3% number every year.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby bald9eagle » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote:Elk mecca huh? I have heard the saying "Colorado has the most elk" While that maybe true it's not a statement that is as useful as one that says "Elk per square mile". Colorado also has the most elk habitat, basically the entire state, while states like Wyoming and Montana only have mountains on their west sides.

Only parts of MT and WY have grizzlies. Small parts actually. There are none where I hunt.

I'm just saying they do a better job of attracting hunters than other states. They have put themselves out there as being "The Elk Capital" much like Arkansas lays claim to being the duck capital. Everyone knows that really big bulls are found in New Mexico or Arizona. Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, and Montana get overlooked by us Easterners because we hear so little about them.

Most Alabama boys don't know squat about bears. To lots of folks here black bears = grizzly bears just like a rattlesnake = rat snake. While the two are nothing alike most just see the word bear and freak out. All folks really know is that there are bears out there and they get bigger in Wyoming and Montana. Personally I would hunt Wyoming in a heartbeat. My biggest concern is learning what is public land. I'm very unfamiliar with BLM land and accessing it. National Forest and Wilderness I understand. I have yet to fully grasp BLM, primarily because I haven't studied it enough. That is something else that influences Eastern hunters. The amount of NFS land and the lack of understanding of BLM land. We don't deal with BLM.
bald9eagle

Postby Indian Summer » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Another really good post there from Elkduds. If there are elk and you can spend lots of time there then you can kill elk. Listening to Elkduds it sounds like the elk are there and some good ones too.

One thing I think that makes it tough in Colorado (keep in mind I know next to zero about the regs there) is that since you have to pick a season, 1st week, 2nd week etc you just don't get to spend enough time in the hills while it is actually hunting season. Imagine how much faster you can learn an area in a state like Montana where one license means 6 weeks of archery and 5 weeks of rifle hunting. When I hunted all 11 weeks it was like going to school full time! To a hunter who can only swing a week per year that's like 11 years of learning in a single season. The 2 big, no huge benefits of that were being able to watch the elk make their seasonal changes, and being able to hunt without the pressure of having limited time. Even if you can't always hunt you can still go there. I guess most people think of scouting as a pre season thing but if you can go out in really late season or just after the season ends you'll learn some really valuable stuff.

That said, I think you start living at the cabin and hunting your home area. Someone is going to kill a bull in there. It might as well be you right.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 17]

Bald9eagle, in both Montana and Wyoming the states are primarily big mountains on the west side and then small ranges dotted in between vast ranch country in the east half. Unless you are hunting sage flat mulies or antelope you most likely will not be anywhere near BLM land.

In places where there is BLM it's not that hard. You are either in state/blm tracts where you can go anywhere for miles and miles... or you are in an area where private is checker boarded with BLM, and you can't go anywhere.

Some of the GPS programs that show land ownership are for guys who want to play the game and hunt closer to private. Many of the places where a hunter might want to do that are limited draw units. For the most part mountain country, even in the east areas such as the Bighorns or the Snowies, is all National Forest and you can camp and hunt anywhere in the hills. All of my hunting is on the west side. I like being able to set camp anywhere and hunt unlimited country without a worry in the world. The mountains over there are a big part of what keeps me coming back too.
Indian Summer

Postby bald9eagle » 10 28, 2015 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:Bald9eagle, in both Montana and Wyoming the states are primarily big mountains on the west side and then small ranges dotted in between vast ranch country in the east half. Unless you are hunting sage flat mulies or antelope you most likely will not be anywhere near BLM land.

In places where there is BLM it's not that hard. You are either in state/blm tracts where you can go anywhere for miles and miles... or you are in an area where private is checker boarded with BLM, and you can't go anywhere.

Some of the GPS programs that show land ownership are for guys who want to play the game and hunt closer to private. Many of the places where a hunter might want to do that are limited draw units. For the most part mountain country, even in the east areas such as the Bighorns or the Snowies, is all National Forest and you can camp and hunt anywhere in the hills. All of my hunting is on the west side. I like being able to set camp anywhere and hunt unlimited country without a worry in the world. The mountains over there are a big part of what keeps me coming back too.

Why don't you advertise a teaser like the big Vegas oddsmakers? You know, I'll give you this one stone-cold lead-pipe lock but for a phenomally low fee 29.95 you get my top 5 places to go...

You still have my full attention. Now that I've set on the place to go in Colorado I'm going to start studying Wyoming.
bald9eagle

Postby js80138 » 11 01, 2015 •  [Post 19]

After reflecting on what I need to improve after each hunt I keep coming up with the same isssue. Staying silent at the end of the day with the same effort I made when the sun came up. Twice this year I was exhausted at the end of the day on my way back to the truck. I became sloppy in my movement breaking twigs or tripping over a log only to have an elk jump from the deep brush. Its difficult to remember the little things when your spent mentally and physically at the days end.
js80138

Postby mnolen » 11 03, 2015 •  [Post 20]

As a first year elk hunter trying to weekend warrior Colorado's 3rd rifle season around work, these are areas where I think my partner and I made mistakes.

1) Data did not drive our decision regarding which GMU to hunt. We chose 28 due to its size and proximity to Denver. For next year we will make better use of harvest estimates to select better units.

2) Lack of thought about access. Our original plan (We did some scouting in September) had to be altered due to snow (USFS advised us not to drive a wheeled vehicle over a pass) and forced use to hunt an area last weekend based only on scouting from GoogleEarth images.

3) No plan B or C. See above scenario...

4) Failure to realize the heartiness of elk. It is most likely that we did not hunt high enough on the mountain even though we found over a foot of snow. Everyone we spoke with commented that elk are not bothered by the current snow depths and will remain up high as long as possible.

5) Sitting around. We did a lot of sitting around. I think we should have kept moving looking for fresh sign of elk in the snow and pursued them from that point. Being aggressive as other posters have mentioned.

We're heading back out Friday after work to give it another go and hope for the best. Next season we will be much better prepared.

Matt
mnolen

Postby cohunter14 » 11 03, 2015 •  [Post 21]

Matt, it sounds like you are learning some valuable information. Take good notes on your experience and apply them to this weekend. I think you are on the right track that you should try to cover some ground until you can find some sign in the snow.

You didn't mention if you are hunting bulls or cows, but in my experience, cows can be pushed to lower elevation by a foot of snow while many bulls will stay put in that depth.

Good luck this weekend and do your best to come up with a Plan A, B, C, D, etc during the week so you have a game plan once you get up there.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby saddlesore » 11 07, 2015 •  [Post 22]

Not knowing the country.
Moving too fast if hunting in the timber.
Scouting in the heavy timber 1-2 days before season opens. If the elk are in there, you will just push them out.
Not paying attention to the wind
Not using binoculars enough. Both near and far
Setting up camp in prime elk habitat ( In their bedrooms so to speak)
Not being mobile enough. If the elk are not there,move
Although the1st season in probably has more elk ,with only 5days, there is not enough time to find the elk .Three days of bad weather and you are about done
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics