Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Silent calling method

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Silent calling method

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

On my previous post I mentioned I was successful this year using my version of the silent calling method. ctdad responded, asking, "What is the silent calling method"? So for those that may not know, I'll try to explain.

Silent calling is just another name for what Elknut calls cold calling. I refer to it as silent calling because most of the time, the elk come in to the calls without making a sound. Many times, they actually sneek in for a peek at what or who is making the sounds. So, you need to be on your toes all the time. Many times the silent calling sequence/setup can go on for as long as an hour. So I might add here that a good comfortable position is desireable. I like to find something like a log or rock to sit on as I plan on being there for awhile.

I'll try to explain the sequence as best I can. And then I'll show how you can switch things around to your advantage if need be.

First of all you need some good background cover so what ever you call in has to look for you. I'm sure we all understand what that means. Once you have your setup established, the normal way would be to start out with some general herd talk. This would be normal cow/calf talk. Then toward the end of the cow/calf stuff you would throw in either a hyper cow call or an estrus buzz and follow that with one short hi pitched young bull bugle. The whole sequence should last maybe 30 seconds. Don't over do it! Then after that you can wait for at least 5 minutes and go throught the whole sequence again. Keep this up for at least an hour at each setup location.

My version of it is to think outside the box and don't be afraid to switch things around. For instance, start out with a location bugle from a small bull. Wait about 30 seconds or so before you go with the herd talk sequence. This serves a dual purpose. #1, you may get lucky and have a bull answer and you can scrap the whole deal and go after him. And #2, you can continue with the the whole silent calling routine and stay put right where you are at.

The whole idea is to not go with the very same sequence every time. Sometimes I only do the herd talk with no hyper or buzz stuff. And sometimes no bugle at all. And if I do bugle, I never do it more than once. Remember, no chuckles or grunts and try to sound like a small bull when you do it. Nothing fancy or intimidating.

The reason for the small bull sounds is because I usually use this method in the early part of the season. At that time, as a general rule, 9 times out of 10, there will be only smaller spikes and raghorns hanging with the herd.

Well, ctdad there you have it. Hope this helps to explain it for you and others. Don't be afraid to think outside the box once in awhile and switch things up. I forgot to mention that sometimes I'll wait as long as 15 minutes or so in between sequences. Just don't go hog wild and over do it. Make it sound real!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Silent calling method

Postby T/H » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

You mention a comfy position is desired. What is your definition of a comfy position. Anytime I've gotten comfy in the elkwoods, i am out of position for an elk that could come in from any direction. Particularly "silent" elk. Congrats on your elk:)
T/H

Postby Vanish » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Wow, that is quite different form the cold calling sequences I've used, and maybe that's why I never managed to call in any elk!

My typical routine would be a similar set of calls, with a slow building and adding the small bull near the end, but I would do this for 8-10 minutes instead of 30 seconds, then wait 20 minutes or so. Am I way overdoing it? I could swear this was what I had learned from someone.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Comfortable for me is as I mentioned, sitting on something where I can last for a long time and still have mobility to the left and right if need be. Kneeling or sitting on the ground for an hour at a time can cause aching or cramping. It can also lead to you wanting to lean back on one elbow to get more relaxed and the next thing you know, you are out of position to take a shot or worse even yet, you find yourself taking a snooze. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby cantgetdrawn » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Good stuff WW.

You mention this "can go on for as long as an hour."

What dictates how long you stay in one spot?
cantgetdrawn

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Vanish: 8-10 minutes is an awful long time. If herd talk last that long, it would in most cases have to be a herd on the move keeping in contact with each other. I've heard them talk for quite awhile at nite also. But you are not on the move. You are calling from the same location for up to an hour and it is during the daylite hours. In any type of calling, it is always wise to think about what a REAL ELK would do.
>>>---WW---->

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Wow! I think I've open up a can of worms with lots of questions. That's good!

OK, so what makes me stay on a setup for at least an hour. I always stay that long. If you leave sooner, many times you will be busted by that elk that is standing back in the bushes trying to decide if he should commit or not. Remember, they usually sneek in without making a sound to check out what all the camotion is all about. Many times, if they don't see something, they will hang back and you won't even know they are there. All you will hear is timber crashing when you get up to leave. By staying an hour you give them a chance to either commit or leave.
>>>---WW---->

Postby treestanding » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

When you say that you wait 5 minutes and repeat the sequence, do you mean that you do a calling sequece every 5 minutes for the whole hour?
treestanding

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Blackwood

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 9]

For treestanding: Yes, but 5 minutes is not a golden rule. Often it is longer, up to 15 minutes or so. but never less than 5. Also, in between sessions, I may do just one or two plain cow mews just to keep anything that may me coming interested. Just don't over do it. Just remember, to much of a good thing isn't always the best thing!

Think of it this way. You are trying to build a little excitement. Then things settle down for awhile. This is the the waiting period between calling sequences. Then you build things back up again as if maybe a bull hooks a cow or a calf gets out of line.

Heck, nobody likes to use a diaphram elk call more than I do. Sometimes I have to put my call back in my pocket just to control the urge to use it to much.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Vanish » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I expect to encounter elk early this weekend without calling, but I'll give this a shot as the morning heats up. I must have been misunderstanding the sequences I studied.
Vanish

Postby ctdad » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Good explanation. Thanks.
ctdad

Postby Vanish » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Ah, I'm not crazy ...

viewtopic.php?p=193#p193

Paul goes over a herd talk strategy here that is 5-7 minutes.

Just something else to try I guess!
Vanish

Postby GhostStalker » 08 31, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Great tactic. There's a lot of info on this obviously elknut and everyone on this site are willing to give you there own version of this, but you should check out Jim Horn's cd early season tactics. He goes over this in detail ( not saying you guys aren't just putting it out there cause it's got some good info ).
GhostStalker

Last Name: R

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 14]

You are absolutely right Ghost Stalker. I have Jim Horn's CD and I highly recommend it. It is a good refresher to listen to every year. But don't be afraid to change things up. I think Jim may have suggested that as well.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Vanish » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Welp, I don't know if the elk were gone, there was plenty of sign, but I still can't get this strategy to work for me. We did a dozen or so setups this weekend and I never got a response. Maybe I just suck at calling! :lol:
Vanish

Postby rjdumas » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Vanish I'm in the same boat. I've been trying this set up and getting nothing back. I hope that changes this weekend. Good luck everyone!
rjdumas

First Name: rj
Last Name: dumas

Postby RockyMountainHi » 09 10, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I'm with the crowd that hasn't had success with cold calling yet and I struggle to keep it up for 5-7 minutes and keeping it "fresh". I couldn't find Jim Horn's CD either--any suggestions?
RockyMountainHi

First Name: Barton
Last Name: Hill

Postby cnelk » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I do almost exactly as WW described.

I have a watch on my bow riser so I know what time it is when I start calling, how long I call, how long I sit quiet.
And I dont have to move my arm to look at my watch on my wrist

Its amazing how a guy can lose track of time without the watch...

I have also noticed that the elk come into the calls in '3s' - 3 min, 6 min, 9min, 12 min...

I like to sit on my knees too. That way I can see the the legs moving thru the trees quite a distance away.
And then Im all ready when they present a shot.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 19]

It is amazing how we loose track of time. I also check my watch like cnelk suggested. It is just too darn easy to over do it. 30-45 seconds of calling is plenty. Then wait a minimum of 5 minutes before the next calling sequence. Maybe even longer. Between calling sequences, you can let out a mew or two, but no more than that. But keep track of your time. The tmes I mention here are one heck of a long time when you are actually eyeballing your watch.
>>>---WW---->