Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wind???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wind???

Postby larry83 » 09 11, 2016 •  [Post 1]

So I always read that you must use wind to your advantage. What do you do when the wind is all over the place? I would wind check and every time the wind was blowing a different way. I'd wait 15 to 20 minutes and same. How do you play the wind if it is blowing all directions? Thank you for your help in advance.
larry83

Re: Wind???

Postby Lefty » 09 11, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Im new to the mountains swirling winds this is what we did: Last week the wind really worked against us. There was a general wind direction from the WSW. We only made set-ups where we were well above in elevation the incoming elk( that never showed) We called into the over-all wind direction. Some places we didnt call others we sat for a short time

Ive watched bear burns,.. From what Ive seen in the mountains the winds will swirl even if you think the wind is from one direction. Wind is a fluid it is amazing how it really flows similar to underground water
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cohunter » 09 11, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Sometimes the steeper draws and gullies have more predictable wind in the mountains, but you're right... it's pretty tricky up there. Especially with the weather pattern we had in CO the first two weeks of the season. Pretty enlightening to me this season sitting a waterhole where my wind was good for 10 minutes, then a sudden swirl. I twice had elk come in to around 100-150 yards from the waterhole on the upwind side. They'd pause and graze until the wind swirled (i'm pretty sure they were just waiting for that to happen) and then they'd catch my scent and take off. The other chance is if you can get ahead of them on a sidehill as the wind tends to swirl more up and down the slope.
cohunter

Postby CurlyTail » 09 12, 2016 •  [Post 4]

When the wind is swirling - you either have to back out or get lucky or move to a more favorable location

Everytime I have continued to hunt in those conditions, and had an Elk encounter, I got busted

But I have also had swirling wind in one spot, and a steady wind a few hundred yards away. Always a tough call.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby nrocchio » 09 13, 2016 •  [Post 5]

The wind can be really tough when it's swirling like that. I had the same trouble my last trip out. The wind was blowing hard and constantly changing. I tried to hunt areas that seemed to block the wind and keep it from swirling around as much. Even earlier this season when the wind was more predictable it cost me a shot opportunity. I stalked a nice buck to within 20 yards with a light breeze steady at my face. I was just sitting and waiting for him to continue grazing into my shooting lane when a gust of wind blew through, and he was gone. Sometimes there isn't anything you can do about it. It's just one of the many variables that have to go right to punch an archery tag.
nrocchio

First Name: Nick
Last Name: R.

Postby redtop » 09 13, 2016 •  [Post 6]

When the wind is really strong and swirling and you are bow hunting there is no point in hunting. You can't bow hunt without the wind in your favor. If the wind is strong and consistent though that can be great for going into a bedding area mid day. Very slowly and sneaky looking ahead at all times. Rifle hunting though you can definitely get by with not worrying about the wind quite as much but I ALWAYS try and keep it in my favor.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby jmez » 09 13, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Elk hunting wouldn't be that hard without the mountain winds. Yes I said that. The wind is rarely consistent in the mountains. You just have to do the best you can and back out when needed. You will never fool an elk's nose. We have days where we just head to a high point and glass and quit hunting. If it is really swirling all you are going to do is scare elk.

You should look for protected areas where it is a little more predictable. The biggest problem I've found with these "protected" areas is the elk rarely frequent them. As I've learned and paid more attention the elk always seem to be in the places with changing winds. The areas we find that consistently hold elk, especially bedding areas seem to have prevailing winds from one direction that is directly opposite of what the thermals are doing. You work to get down wind, get a break in the wind and the thermals get you busted. There's a reason elk bed in these areas.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez