Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

need help elknut

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

need help elknut

Postby whitingja » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Paul, i am currently in the wilderness in southern Colorado. Me and my buddy have run into nothing but herd bulls which is great. However, i cant get them to come in. I get within 75 yards, try levels 1,2,and 3. Nothing. Infact the one today just continued to feed, work a tree a little, then bugled with chuckles and walked away with his cows. What should i do? Going after a 330 herd bull tomorrow. Any advice helps. Thank you.
whitingja

First Name: jason
Last Name: whiting

Re: need help elknut

Postby Panhandle Archer » 09 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Well, I'm certainly not anywhere near Elk Nut (except in my dreams, of course). But, here's my 2 cents.

From your post, two things stand out to me: (1) you are hunting with a buddy, and (2) you can get the animals to come in within 75 yards.

With this in mind, why don't you utilize some team hunting strategies. I.e. have one "caller" and one "shooter." If the caller sets up 40 yards behind the shooter, and the bull hangs up 75 yards from the caller, the shooter will be left with a 35 yard shot 8-)

If your calls are getting responses and you are able to get the animals within 100 yards I would suggest that you keep doing what you have been, with the only exception being to stagger the shooter/caller by at least 40 yards.

Good luck!
Panhandle Archer

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Kelso

Postby whitingja » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have stayed about 25 to 30 back, but maybe i need to do more. Thanks.
whitingja

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

There are several options to consider one of which Panhandle mentions! Staying back 25-35yds is only when you are in real heavy brushed timbered country & bulls are rutiing good! It sounds like from your description that you guys are looking right at these elk, if you can see them they can see where the source of calling is coming from no matter the method used? You cannot allow elk to see the area, all they do is look over & see no elk where all calling/commotion is coming from! You MUST have 100% cover good wind! Wait until elk are in the timber or whatever the cover is before working them. It may be Call & Stalk, have caller stay back 200-300yds & keep bull vocal as shooter slips in silently & patiently, good things can happen!

Too, if bulls are vocal to your cow calling then they are calling you to the group, wait for them to hit the cover & have shooter go to excited mid volume cow calls, once bull responds go right to him making as much noise as needed cow calling your way too him, he expects you to come so don't worry about noise or stomping to him. Keep caller back 100-150yds & have him scream at the bull as the bull continues to call this cow (you) to the group! Your buddy is attempting to call you back (his cow) to himself but the cow is choosing to be with this new bull & group! -- Point is here, play the rutting game, this happens all the time in the real elk world! Be very careful trying to call elk when you can see them, this is not a time to call when getting close!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 5]

All of the above methods are sure worth a try. But it sounds to me like you just haven't pushed the right button yet.

I've had bulls do the very same thing to me before. They act as if they haven't even heard you. When that happens and there seems to be no way to get closer without being seen, I usually get out my elk dictionary and try everything until I hit the sound they want to hear. It could be an estrus buzz, hot cow, lost cow, or maybe even just a soft sexy mew. But the point here is you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. So long as they don't drift away and the wind is in your favor, they are still interested and un-afraid. You'll know when you get it right. They will either look towards you or casually start to drift your way. But be aware, if you hit the wrong sound they will drift away.

If the bull tries to call you to him, you need to show him a reason as to why you can't come. Have your partner give a short/hi pitched bugle. If you are hunting alone, turn the grunt tube behind you and muffle the end with your hand. This helps to make it sound like another bull is back in the bushes and is holding you up.

Herd bulls are tricky to say the least. Remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And that bull already has his bird (cows) in hand. The threat, or a version of it will usually get a reaction if you have the right setup. You need the cows between you and the bull so he has to come through the herd to keep you from stealing one of his cows. If you are on the bulls side of the herd there is no reason for him to react. All he has to do is keep an eye out for you and be ready to defend the herd. There isn't much need for him to leave the cows and come to you.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I was up with a buddy last weekend and I ended up using all 3 of my cow calls. Some bulls liked one, another responded to a different one.
You have to find out what 'sound' will trip them up!

Try using a cow call thru a grunt tube....

I have gotten much better at listening to what the bulls are saying. Like mentioned, if they are calling to you, GO RIGHT AT THEM!
You just better be ready!

Try bugling different... try ANYTHING different!

Good Luck
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby whitingja » 09 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Thanks fellas. Good advice. I have been too close. I have been able to see every bull i have tried to work. I will get back a couple hundred. Thanks again i will post if i have sucess
whitingja