Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Set ups and Hang ups

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Set ups and Hang ups

Postby Tigger » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Hung up bulls. They happen to so many people. Happened to me a few times this year. I would like to hear some thoughts on what people look for when you realize it is "go time" and the bull is coming in and it is time to set up. Sometimes it happens sooooo quickly. A caller and a shooter. My thoughts are that the caller and shooter should just barely be able to see each other. But we got caught 2 times this year when it happened so fast I (the caller) didn't have time to put any distance between us. What do you do then? If you have time, what do you look for in terms of set up spots? And how do you keep them from stopping behind that one stupid little 6 foot pine tree every stinkin' time??
Tigger

Re: Set ups and Hang ups

Postby Swede » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Before the call is first made, make sure the shooter is in a place where the animal exposes himself before he can see the caller's location. Most hang-ups occur when the bull comes in and can't see the elk he knows should be visible.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Terrain/vegetation dependent, there seems to be a mystical spot that bulls will hang up when being called to (the classic distance seems to be around 25-35 yards). "They" know where you call from and when they come in, they seem to hang up in that zone to slow/stop, regroup, and take inventory of exactly what may be occurring where the call(s) came from. I make the mistake every, single, year, of not setting up to have my shooter in a position to possibly have a shot opportunity before my initial calling, normally alter in the season. Early in the hunt/season, it seems that I remember this important step (drop shooter in spot where they have possible shooting lanes) and then I/caller move to a location anywhere from 25 to 35ish yards away (keeping the wind going from my back to the left or right of the shooter). As the season rolls on, and as I tend to get immersed more and more in the run and gun style offense, I tend to not set up each and every time. Inevitably, it results in a silent bull tip-toeing in, or, even a vocal one crashing in to that hang up "zone" with no shooter set up for a shot opportunity. When this happens, I normally just shift my shooter to the left or right of our current position and crash backwards 20-40 yards and start the conversation up with the bull.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby CurlyTail » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 4]

My favorite set up is a two person set up. We have a Bull located , have closed the distance as much as we dare given the terrain, and have the shooter just over the top of a ridge or rise in open terrain, or on the other side of the rise in more dense terrain. The caller is back a ways in dense cover. We try to call the Bull past the shooter for a broadside shot.

Sometimes we hide the caller in dense Aspen cover. Sometimes we hide the caller in a small gully or ravine. Sometimes the caller lies flat on his belly behind a downed tree. Anything to keep the Bull from being able to see the exact call location so he must move closer to get a visual. Sometimes the caller retreats and circles around the shooter if it becomes clear that the Bull is coming in from the wrong direction.

Where I really struggle is with non vocal Bulls. When you have no idea what direction they may come from. So even though we call in a number of animals every year with cold calling, out "kill" rate is not impressive.

Although not high on the adrenaline, set ups that utilize patience are very effective. Setting on trails over saddles, trails between valleys, wallows can be very effective. Tree stand would be even better but not possible in my area.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby cohunter » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Call and MOVE... I know what to do, I just can't get it in my head. Every hung up bull or bull that I've spooked, I've called then sat tight a bit, then moved and it's at that point a monster bull crashes off into the brush OR I've called and stayed in that same spot and the elk comes in a just hangs around just out of sight or out of range. Eventually the wind swirls and they're gone.
cohunter

Postby Navesgane » 10 07, 2016 •  [Post 6]

I wish I had a caller this year, or even a shooter...
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby ewade73 » 10 08, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Set up the most important part of the sequence in my opinion. It is also the part that I have had the most struggles with over the years. I have built confidence in my calling it is always the setup I second and third guess. This is a topic I can spend all day reading about because there is always more to learn. I prefer terrain first (backside of any hill). Lets say the mountain was flat with no trees and a bull was standing there he hears a call 80 yards away. If it was flat he would be able to see the elk so he doesn't need to move. If there was an uphill rise in front of him he can see the elk so he doesn't have to move . But if there is a downhill in front of him he can't see the elk until he walks up to the edge to look over. This is where I try to have my shooter off to the side. This is just a simple illustration that really helps me. Ifor I can't make terrain work for me then it is cover. Any cover tall or thick enough to conceal a couple of elk will work. You really need to sell this set up by making natural (stick, branches breaking hoove stomps) sounds so he knows you'r in there. I would put the shooter 40 yards or so away depending on thickness of cover. Please make sure your shooter does not sit behind anything to block a shot or his sight. I told my dad where to set up this year and he sat down behind a little bush that when standing up was only as tall as his knee. So he sat down and could see over the top of it so he thought. I call in a monster elk 20 yards walking in front of him and because on the other side of the Bush was all pretty steep downhill he didn't see it walking in the wide open. After I shot it ran back in front of him and he could see the tops of his horns. If the Bush wasn't there he had a 2o yard broadside shot. Always set up in front of cover if you are the shooter. I still need more work and help on figuring wind. Now we kind of sit and pray.
ewade73

First Name: edward
Last Name: wade

Postby ewade73 » 10 09, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Dont forget the "show yourself" call on a hung up bull to get him to take those extra steps out of cover. It has worked for me several times. I have even had it work when the bull beat me to it. I was able to move aprox. 20 yards sideways so he thought i was trying to show myself started raking again so he could tell that i moved and hit him back with one and he came in waving his rack back and forth. No shot opp but it got him into range and was way cool to see. Dont remember exactly where i saw it but probably the playbook. Maybe "popping or nervous grunt" I use kind of an elongated bark
ewade73

First Name: edward
Last Name: wade