Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk decoy tactics

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk decoy tactics

Postby jmorr » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 1]

One tool I regret not using more last year on my first elk hunt was a decoy. My buddy had it in his pack the whole time but we rarely took it out. What are some thoughts on strategy for decoy use, and how does your strategy differ if you are hunting solo or with a partner??
jmorr

Re: Elk decoy tactics

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I am certainly no expert in elk decoy use. I have hunted solo and called when an elk came in to see my decoy. I a case I remember well the critter stood too far back and would not come close enough for a shot, even thought he could see my decoy. It could well be argued that I was not in the right position, but the bull was 60+ yards away and just would not expose himself from behind the brush. I would still use a decoy when hunting solo on the ground, but never have one around when hunting from a tree stand. I think they are best when only part of the decoy is really exposed and the caller can move away from the decoy to a strategic location. I would not bother with one when hunting with a partner.
I would like to have an antler to wave above a bush that I had my decoy's head pointed into when a bull was watching.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I'm a huge fan of the Poison Arrow Gear decoys....mounts on the last arrow on your quiver, deploys and re-deploys quickly, and these things just plain work.... I've had more than my share of experiences/experiments with these things in the last few yeas and gotta say... Mr. or Mrs. elk are fixated on them until, until well you know... :D

Check em out.. you won't be disappointed. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Gunny sack: Some call it a burlap bag. :roll: Same color as an elk, easy to pack, easy to deploy, and it is free. It is perfect to attract the elks attention.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 5]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Gunny sack: Some call it a burlap bag. :roll: Same color as an elk, easy to pack, easy to deploy, and it is free. It is perfect to attract the elks attention.

Seems like I remember somebody using a burlap bag successfully (just holding it in front of him) to move across an elk filled meadow a handful of years ago. Know anything about that mister? ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Were the elk distracted by reading what was stamped on the gunny sack, or were they fooled into thinking it was another elk?
BTW, I have a couple of elk decoys I have made from burlap. I cut out the silhouette and painted the rump area elk color. Then I put a couple of grommets in it so I could hang it up to bushes or nearby trees. Also a grommet was placed low on the legs, with a string attached to tie to a stick or something, so the legs will not flop around too much in the breeze.
I did not use a gunny sack as I did not want to confuse the elk with the big logo on the side. The confusion I anticipated would have come when the decoy was hung out. The logo and wording would have been sideways. Can you imagine the contortions a big bull would have to go through to read a sideways sign like that?
Swede

Postby jmorr » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 7]

So with the poison arrow decoy, can you advance on the elk once seen, or do you keep still and wait for them to come. If using burlap or other freestanding decoys, do you deploy then advance closer to the elk, if so, how far behind you do you position it? Are decoys more of a distraction to keep their eyes off you, or do they draw them closer?
jmorr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 8]

jmorr wrote:So with the poison arrow decoy, can you advance on the elk once seen, or do you keep still and wait for them to come.

I have used the PAG Decoy both ways with success. The classic way I use the decoy is the caller (oftentimes me) deploys the decoy and the shooter sets up in a position to possibly get a shot at the bull when he comes in. As with any decoy, there is usually a point where the big game critter has the "ah ha" moment and perhaps realizes something is stinky but if the decoy is deployed correctly, that ah ha moment usually comes too late for Mr. Elk. Last year on my WA hunt, Lamrith was the caller with his PAG pretty cow face deployed. He pulled a really nice bull in to within 20 yards of my position where the bull commenced to shred a really tall chunk of alder. He looked directly at Lamrith/the PAG decoy a few times over the course of a minute or so and went back to thrashing (obviously, trying to impress the cow he heard/seen). I tried to thread an arrow through an alder window on that bull but the alder won as it often does. I also called a bull from a hillside, over the top of a knob, and right past another hunting buddy in ID last year.. that dude was "eyes locked on" to my position, my calling, and the pretty cow face sticking out from my bow. My buddy had dropped down over the knob a bit too far and the bull winded him so no shot. Below is a VID a friend of mine made a few years ago (Slim9300) on a special permit hunt. The foggy bull in the VID was not the one he wanted so he decided to "stretch the legs" of the PAG cow face.. Well, you'll see how that went. Slim deployed the decoy, headed into the heart of the meadow, and successfully kept the bull's attention while moving back and forth, effectively blocking the foggy bull from crossing that meadow and heading towards the cow he kept hearing on the other side. Ya, the PAG decoys work and work well. I'm not just saying it because they're a sponsor here; those darn things work and I won't be without one in the elk woods ;)

WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Swede the lettering on the side of the bag was printed in hot pink and says, "COM EAR BIG BOY"! Works like a champ every time.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Beendare » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I've almost always got a decoy with me when elk hunting...love those things. I like the decoys that form an outline if the animal like the Montanas or the extreme predator or even the hats.

I can tell you there is a leaning curve to these and I see a lot of new guys make mistakes with them...then say, "That doesn't work!"

I've personally seen close to 35 bulls killed [or shot them myself] with a decoy. One thing I can tell you is they give a call shy bull a visual reference.....a big deal.

One of the mistakes I see made are guys fidgiting....turning their head [with a ball cap!] moving, etc. When you are calling a bull they are looking for you....and they can spot suspicious movement a long ways out. If you are camo'd up and perfectly still....we have had them sniff a boot close...but if you are moving they can spot that movement 100yds through thick timber and you might not even know that bull was there.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby N2mywake » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 11]

we've had great success with the auto shade style decoy, we honestly need to use it more. I credit the bull in my pic to distracting him with the decoy for my dad to get a 22 yard shot.
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Herd Bill » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I've never used them for Elk, not sure why because I do use decoys for other game.

What are some tips for the set up? Distance from the hunter? Do they generally approach from the side, front or rear?

Thanks in advance.
Herd Bill

Postby Tigger » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I am thinking of getting one this year.

I didn't understand the video...it looked like a guy walking around in the fog? I couldn't see the decoy, I must be half blind. Does anyone have pictures of their decoys in use? I would also be interested in pros/cons of various models. I like the looks of the Montana decoy and Miss September might very well be the best name for a product I have heard in a long time!
Tigger

Postby N2mywake » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Herd Bill wrote:What are some tips for the set up? Distance from the hunter? Do they generally approach from the side, front or rear?

tough to describe for me but it depends on the scenario. I try to judge where I think the elk will come from and angle the decoy so hopefully (ideally) the elk proceeds past the shooter toward me calling and sees the decoy. I try to get off to the side of the decoy a bit (downwind) if I feel like he's coming, just in case he gets past the shooter. it doesn't always work but if it gives the shooter an extra second or two to get a shot it's worth the time.
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I have headless silhouette type decoys. One gets used only when I am hunting alone. I place the decoy behind and off to the side where just the rear sticks out of the brush. Setup is very critical. I call from the decoy and move to a predetermined location and wait adjacent to good cover. To be honest I have not pulled off a kill with a decoy yet, but have had some close encounters. I may have made one of the mistakes Beendare wrote about. I can't be sure. All I know is that the elk come close, but not close enough. I would have liked to have moved farther ahead of the decoy, but could not risk being seen by proceeding farther.
Swede

Postby TimeOnTarget » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 16]

awesome thread guys. I might have to give a decoy a shot.
TimeOnTarget

Postby stringunner » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Have used them many times, some to success and some times not. A great tool for certain scenarios. I like them best with a caller and decoy set up a ways behind the shooter. This allows the caller to move around a bit with decoy in hand. Called a cow in on a string a couple years back just above one of swedes stands (I had no idea he had a stand down there at the time) and my buddy was in front of me about 60 yards. The cow came in looking for the call and saw my decoy in my hand. She stayed fixed on the decoy and walked strait up to my buddy who shot her frontal at less than 10 yards. Have used them to walk in the open around herds without detection as well, that is always fun. Have had multiple instances where the decoy also screwed us up.

I think they are a fun tool.
stringunner

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Tigger wrote:I am thinking of getting one this year.

I didn't understand the video...it looked like a guy walking around in the fog? I couldn't see the decoy, I must be half blind.

The decoy is deployed off the quiver on the right side of Slim's bow (hard to see from the camera angle behind the hunter). And yes, there is a bull in the fog if you look for him.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Beendare » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Understanding that the decoy is a visual reference in addition to your calling strategy is key.
small 6pt 800pix.jpg
limited unit dink bull
small 6pt 800pix.jpg (186.53 KiB) Viewed 14354 times

In this pic, I'm laying flat on the ground with this bull at about 8yds staring at the decoy over my left shoulder. He stood there even after I got up to my knees...I had to shooo him away. Decoys effective- yep!

The calling is what sets the tone....the decoy just there to reinforce it. So if you are aggressive with your calling, its best [IMO] to impart some movement to the deke. Hunting solo its hard to do that. Sometimes i will have the decoy right there next to me...but mostly I like it further back 10 yds or so behind me. You don't want it too far back as you never know when another bull will come in from the side.

I like the way Chris Roe describes calling scenarios with his "Doorway principle". You plan your setups so the bull comes through the doorway created in front of you. Of course it isn't always so easy...but you can get a pretty good direction they are coming from...and place the decoy in a spot where they can see it. In timber, I always pick a spot where the sun hits it- it pops.

Distance is dictated more by the vegetation.

FYI, I've had them run in to the decoy so fast its hard to get drawn before they are by you....so you have to be ready. Once they make up their mind and see it...they usually come pretty fast [even walking] Another advantage is distraction....I've been able to draw on bulls that I wouldn't even try to draw on without the deke.
― Jimmy Buffett

"
Beendare

Postby TimeOnTarget » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Beendare wrote:Understanding that the decoy is a visual reference in addition to your calling strategy is key.
small 6pt 800pix.jpg

In this pic, I'm laying flat on the ground with this bull at about 8yds staring at the decoy over my left shoulder. He stood there even after I got up to my knees...I had to shooo him away. Decoys effective- yep!

The calling is what sets the tone....the decoy just there to reinforce it. So if you are aggressive with your calling, its best [IMO] to impart some movement to the deke. Hunting solo its hard to do that. Sometimes i will have the decoy right there next to me...but mostly I like it further back 10 yds or so behind me. You don't want it too far back as you never know when another bull will come in from the side.

I like the way Chris Roe describes calling scenarios with his "Doorway principle". You plan your setups so the bull comes through the doorway created in front of you. Of course it isn't always so easy...but you can get a pretty good direction they are coming from...and place the decoy in a spot where they can see it. In timber, I always pick a spot where the sun hits it- it pops.

Distance is dictated more by the vegetation.

FYI, I've had them run in to the decoy so fast its hard to get drawn before they are by you....so you have to be ready. Once they make up their mind and see it...they usually come pretty fast [even walking] Another advantage is distraction....I've been able to draw on bulls that I wouldn't even try to draw on without the deke.

Do you have a link to Chris Roe's info, Videos?

Which Decoy should a guy get for backpacking?
This is awesome! Thanks for spending my money for me fellas :D
TimeOnTarget

Postby Beendare » 03 11, 2017 •  [Post 21]

TimeOnTarget wrote:

Do you have a link to Chris Roe's info, Videos?

Which Decoy should a guy get for backpacking?
This is awesome! Thanks for spending my money for me fellas :D

You get to Chris Roe through his YouTube channel...its excellent, as you have easy access to his modules...and its cheap.

I don't think Elknut has a YouTube channel but you can get it on his website...

Not sure on the Corey Jacobsen stuff...probably his website

Decoy wise....I would recommend the Heads Up decoy as its probably the easiest to use, implement and carry...and very effective. The Montanas are good but a bit more effort setting up, packing/unpacking, etc...though they are very good for solo hunting as you can place them, then move to a prime shooting location.

I haven't used the poison arrow decoy.

The Extreme Predator decoy looks good too. I am getting one this year [to go long with my 4 other elk decoys- arg]...I just don't know how I feel about having it mounted to my bow the whole time....and it will for sure end up resulting in more frontal shots....which I like at close distances...though many don't.
― Jimmy Buffett

"
Beendare

Postby Beendare » 03 11, 2017 •  [Post 22]

Heres that Heads up decoy.....I know my buddy liked the result- <grin>

I had this bull dead to rights at 25 yds Broadside at full draw....but he was about 15 yds+/- from my buddy that plastered him with a frontal shot coming to the decoy.
2016decoy800pix.jpg
2016decoy800pix.jpg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 14314 times
― Jimmy Buffett

"
Beendare