Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

One Valuable Tip!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

One Valuable Tip!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'd like to hear a valuable tip that ones could share from their hunting experience & preparation that goes along with it! There are many obvious things to consider, but what about the not so obvious?

My tip is to make sure you cut your toenails just before your season starts. Not much worse than too long of nails on the steep descents, it can really bother you!

What's your TIP!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: One Valuable Tip!!

Postby dotman » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If it is your first trip out west do not think you are Cam Haines and know your limits!
dotman

Postby The Doc » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

never, never give up. i hunt all day every day when i can,when its time to hunt elk ,i get serious. hunt till the last day, till dark. then you cant have regrets . you did what you could with things under your controll.there are plenty of things that you cant controll during elk season. but sitting in camp is one of them. i sometimes do take an afternoon nap. but its most of the time under a tree. of course there is the case of a guy here local that elknut tought some elk calling to. last season he packed in 3 miles or so. slept in the next am. was woke up by "horses" on the trail, yep you guessed it shot a nice bull from the tent opening.

another time i got way back to one of my favorite elk spots. there were elk screaming , bugle after bugle all day. there was a huge opening on the side of the mountain that i didnt want to cross and with the wind blowing down hill i thought i would take a nap waiting for the thermals to change. its really hard to sleep with 4 different bulls spouting off 400 or so yards away. one would go off then the others would spout off , honestly they wouldnt shut up. maybe 10 munites at the longest between bugles. 3 of the satelite bulls i could tell with the bugles that they were whining , they wanted some of the ladies and werent getting any {never mind how i am familliar with that, ive been married 28 years, ha ha} the herd bull screaming, ground shaking. by 3:00 the wind never changed , so i went way around and quietly tryed to sneak into the bedding area. on the way there i lucked into 2 raghorns, a spike. a decent 5 point {i tryed to arrow him, he wasnt impressed with my intentions} got within 100 yards or so and hit 2 quick cow calls then a bugle . 2 minutes later i see movement in the lodgepole , my first thought was that is a big bodied bull. shot, waited there frozen . not moving at all. i hear somethin below me . at 35 yards is a really nice long tined 5 point. he stood there kind of panting for probably 5 minutes. all of the sudden i hear the "heard of elephants" running away from me i thought thats either really good, or really bad. half a week {ok half hour} later i moved from the spot i shot from to where the bull was standing. sweet. 200 yards later bull was down. a nice 6 point. a 7 mile pack later {mules n horses} my season was over. we called in a better 6 point than i killed. 40 yards from my quarters hanging in a tree. the next day with the stock tied up there also. that was a fun 2 days

now if anyone has finished reading my rambling on. i think Sir Elknut should analise what really went on here.
The Doc
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Carry adequate emergency/survival gear each and every time you venture out. The "go super-uber-light" phenomenon has actually affected what some hunters are carrying in their packs for first aid/emergency items. A 3.57 ounce first aid kit and a box of waterproof matches does not make an adequate emergency kit. Yeah, it's a bit more weight to carry appropriate emergency gear that covers you in all situations, but is certainly worth it when needed.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Orion » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

File a Flight Plan....Let your hunting partners know where you plan on going if you hunt alone. Let them know that you plan on being back to camp or a meeting point by a certain time. Agree on a plan of action if someone does not return to camp or a meeting point within a reasonable time. The point is that if you or your hunting partner need help, it's is much easier to find someone if you have at least a vague idea of where and when to begin searching. We all know that the plan changes as the situation unfolds. Elk will take you on a long journey often far from where you thought you might be. If you can't share your new plan via radio or cell phone, you may have to give up the chase when it is safer to stop following the herd.

Orion
Orion

Postby N5J » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Drink plenty of water...dehydration will make you hit a wall quicker than anything! I keep a water filtration pump in my pack...saved my bacon more than once.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby LckyTylr » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

A few things that I keep in my pack that don't help with uber-light-backpacking.

Whistle
Extra Release (identical to your everyday release)
High energy bar, in addition to what I plan on eating for the day (Snickers, Cliff, etc)
Flares

Some of these can really save your bacon.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

All great stuff guys, I hope many are taking this in?

Doc, the only thing I'm going to say is I wish I was there!!! (grin) Wow! What a day & what a hunt. Most of us dream for days like that! Awesome stories!! Those elk were ruttin hard!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Have some chapstick in your truck, in your pack, and in your pocket....and then one more stick hidden under a rock somewhere lol. Nothing is worse then not having chap stick after half a day....not to mention 5 days!!!! Plus after that third or fourth trip of the year, chances are you've lost the one that was once in your pocket and the one in your truck has disappeared.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Goneelkn » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

If your returning to pack out in the dark, hang a glow stick(the ones you snap and shake) by the meat. Lot's easier to find in the dark. Even if your not coming back in the dark, hang the stick and hang an emergency blanket in a branch or on a rope. The light and noise will keep some predators away from the meat. Worked for me on black bears.
Goneelkn

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

POK3 mentioned Chapstick. Don't forget, chapstick is a petroeum based product. Therefor, it can also be used as a fire starter. Also, if you happen to have some Fritos corn chips in your food bag, they burn like crazy and are excellent fire starters.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Goneelkn wrote:If your returning to pack out in the dark, hang a glow stick(the ones you snap and shake) by the meat. Lot's easier to find in the dark. Even if your not coming back in the dark, hang the stick and hang an emergency blanket in a branch or on a rope. The light and noise will keep some predators away from the meat. Worked for me on black bears.

Man, I should have read this one two years ago! (grin) Might have avoided this, we had to leave this half overnight! I had a space blanket in my pack too!!!

ElkNut1
Attachments
9-27-10 - 20.jpg
9-27-10 - 20.jpg (121.77 KiB) Viewed 56058 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Goneelkn » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

That is one sad sight!!! Didn't happen to have a bear tag, did you??
Goneelkn

One Valuable Tip!!

Postby slim9300 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 14]

This is a controversial topic. When things happen quick and the elk has detected you inside 40 yards, leave your rangefinder alone. Commit quickly to a yardage and shoot quickly. I see too many hunters that are 100% dependent on their rangefinders that lose countless opportunities every year because elk don't just stand there. Only 2 of the elk that I have killed were ranged despite me always having a rangefinder. 3d shoots will help you hone your yardage judging ability. This is obviously a very important skill for a bowhunter to have.

Another one: When the elk is in the wide open and you are thinking it's 40 yards, add 5-7 yards. When the elk is in the thick timber and you are thinking it's 40 yards, deduct 5-7 yards. I would have quite a few more elk to my name if I followed this rule from the beginning.

If you like a midday nap, do it where the elk are and not back at camp. You will save yourself a huge amount of wear and tear on your body and kill more animals.

Sorry! I'm not good with rules. :)
slim9300

Postby Buglemaster » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Dont ever asume the bugle you just heard is another hunter.I have watched bulls bugle that did'nt learn the vocabulary well at all. Better not judge the bugle till you see whats bugling.Setting a water hole a couple years ago, I was ready to move knowing the bugles I was hearing every minute were from a real stupid hunter that could'nt call for squat! Out steps Mr stupid , a nice symetrical 5pt. Most of the time I know but have been fooled a time or 2. 2nd the chapstick!!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Ridgernr » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I drink tons of water the week before I start hunting, We all are dehydrated must of the time, by doing this I can go into the hunt already plenty hydrated and then continue to drink all I can thru that week or two of the hunt.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby Swede » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 17]

There are some really good posts above. I know I am preaching to the choir, so to speak with this, but to be a successful elk hunter on public land hunts, learn everything you can about elk and elk hunting. This forum offers a lot of the best available information, but don't stop here. Read everything you can, and most of all learn from every elk encounter. If you mess up as often as I have, you start to see a pattern and begin to understand what works and what doesn't. For sure some things work often in a variety of situations, while other tactics seldom work. By keeping track of what works and what doesn't, you can start to figure things out. If in doubt ask Elknut.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Buckriser » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I always carry some unscented baby wipes in the pack. Good for cleaning up from the Swass, and any other messes you may get into. :D
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Bring an adequate supply of ibuprofen.. Works well for sore muscles/joints after a day of mountain hiking/hunting.
WapitiTalk1

One Valuable Tip!!

Postby slim9300 » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Phantom16 wrote:Bring an adequate supply of ibuprofen.. Works well for sore muscles/joints after a day of mountain hiking/hunting.

Or some Vicodin. Jk. ;)
slim9300

Postby elkohalic » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Don't give up looking for that wounded animal, even if you can't find anymore blood. 3 years ago my buddy shot a cow, put a great shot on her, we tracked her 150 yards and lost blood. It was around 1am and pitch black out. We decided to mark last blood and look around with just headlights, we could not see her anywhere but man I could sure smell elk. We ended up finding her in a thick, short willow patch 50 yards from last blood. We deboned her and packed her out that night, about 1 mile back to camp.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 22]

I only hunt elk during the archery season and been doing it for over 30 years. One thing I do that has saved me a lot of tracking after the shot is I always have a reed in my mouth and after the shot I immidiatley cow call a few times. I have had bulls stop right away, turn and look back in my direction and fall over dead. Some have started walking back toward me and a few I put a second arrow in them. With a good sharp broadhead , a lot of the time a elk doesn't even realize they are hurt. If you do not use a reed, use what ever cow call you keep handy. Sometimes I might even throw in a little spike squeel. Works for me. Shot this bull rakeing a tree at 59 yards. He turned to run after my arrow entered both lungs and after the cow calls he stopped, turned and starting walking straight at me, stumbled and fell facing me. Notice his right horn grew out of his forhead. Scull was deformed and brow tines were stunted. This was my 24th elk. Image
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 23]

OK, I've got another valuable tip I told Paul I would share. Back in the early 80's, we had a very dry archery deer hunt in Utah and the meat bees were trying to eat us alive and sting us to death. The flies were just as bad. Just trying to skin my deer I was stung over 20 times. Black pepper was what everyone said to try back then but did not even affect a bee or fly. The following year I decided to try Chili Powder. I now call it my Magic Powder. I carry 3 small compact bottles in my pack and it is just as important as my knife. Just sprinkle the powder everywhere there is blood, including the mouth, nose and entry hole. I do this after I have gutted my elk to cool off while I go get help to pack out. I hunt a lot by myself. That way there are no bees or flies by the thousands when I get back. As you 1/4 or bone out your animal sprinkle a little on each piece as you go. The flies and meat bees disappear. The chili rinses off the meat and your game bags have a new shade of orange. When I have to make several trips to bring out bags of meat, I sprinkle what I have left over all the bags left behind and it has kept the bears off so far. That's over 30 years of big game hunting without being stung, no meat blown by flies and not 1 ounce went into the belly of a bear or coyote. They cost less than a dollar, 50 cents at Wal Mart. Very small price to pay considering we spend thousands on a out of state elk hunt. I hear horror stories all the time where flies have blown the meat so bad the meat was thrown out. Hope this helps all that try it and thank Paul for this site so I could share. My wife would shoot me if I brought home bad meat. We eat elk at least 1 or 2 times a week. If you try it this season, let us know if it made your hunt better. I am strictly a bowhunter, so most of my hunting, the weather is warm. Bill Custer, Mossy Oak Far West Big Game Pro StaffImage
CrazyElkHunter

Postby planebow » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Items that are soft and bulky (extra sox, game bags, etc) that are not used every day get vacuum packed befor I put them in my pack, keeps them clean and don't take up as much room
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Yes WW here on this forum does the vacuum seal bit on tons of his items, he says it works great!

Looks like I'll be adding some Chili Powder to the pack! (grin) Good stuff guys! You're never to old to learn! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 26]

For you guys that that do the 2-5 day hunts: Go to the Dollar Store and buy one or two of those little solar driveway marker lights. They only cost a buck and will keep your campsite lite up all night long. In your tent, they provide enough light to read by. And when it's bed time, just place your hat over it. Beats the heck out of searching for a flashlite all the time. Set it outside in the sun to recharge during the day.
>>>---WW---->

Postby welka » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Here's one that I learned the hard way and doesn't weigh anything in the bag - tooth cap paste. If you are on a multiple day hunt in a wilderness or drop camp and crack your tooth, you will be very thankful that I just relayed this little tip! Can ruin a trip without it! Great tips by all.
welka

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 28]

welka wrote:Here's one that I learned the hard way and doesn't weigh anything in the bag - tooth cap paste. If you are on a multiple day hunt in a wilderness or drop camp and crack your tooth, you will be very thankful that I just relayed this little tip! Can ruin a trip without it! Great tips by all.

Not following you welka.. Please expand a bit if you would.
WapitiTalk1

Postby welka » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Sure. Go to Walgreens and buy the little tube of paste that is an emergency fix for a cracked tooth. If you crack your tooth and won't be back to civilization for 6 days, it is going to hurt like h___, you won't sleep, eat, water will hurt, etc. The paste eliminates the pain until you can get to a dentist to get your tooth fixed.
welka

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 30]

welka wrote:Sure. Go to Walgreens and buy the little tube of paste that is an emergency fix for a cracked tooth. If you crack your tooth and won't be back to civilization for 6 days, it is going to hurt like h___, you won't sleep, eat, water will hurt, etc. The paste eliminates the pain until you can get to a dentist to get your tooth fixed.

Good copy.. makes sense.. Thanks. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Moose-head » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 31]

Drink before you are thirsty
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

One Valuable Tip!!

Postby Freebird134 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 32]

Don't set up camp among the elk, next to a wallow. Learned that the hard way....
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Arapahoe » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 33]

I always carry a small tube of superglue. The little inch long,one time use, 3 in a pack jobs. Fixed a loose serving on a bow string. Once I made a quick repair to my water filter.
Arapahoe

Postby ElkManDan » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 34]

When you sit down to call whether you are cold calling or working a bull already, take a few seconds to use your rangefinder and range several objects to get a feel for the distance of everything around you. Also make sure you nock an arrow and be ready.

One more, When you set up while calling in an elk, set up in front of the tree or brush not behind it, Trust you camo, nothing is more frustrating than having a bull 5 yards away and you have no shot because you didn't want him to see you so you setup behind an object.
ElkManDan

Postby Goneelkn » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 35]

ElkManDan wrote:One more, When you set up while calling in an elk, set up in front of the tree or brush not behind it, Trust you camo, nothing is more frustrating than having a bull 5 yards away and you have no shot because you didn't want him to see you so you setup behind an object.

Ain't that the truth. There isn't anything like shooting a screaming bull at 3 yards!! My closest shot.
Goneelkn

Postby elkohalic » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 36]

When you find that big dry wallow that is all torn up and smells of elk something fierce, DON'T roll in it!! You will be smelling elk all day long and your buddies back at camp may sneak up on you.
elkohalic

Last Name: Hoskins

Postby T/H » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 37]

don't forget to eat. i lost 25 pounds in 19 days in 2008 because i just didn't feel hungry and would only snack in the morning and maybe a little thruout the day and was so dead tired when i got back to camp that i would collapse in my tent and not eat dinner. since then i've only lost half that in a couple weeks of hunting making sure i eat well
T/H

Postby Lefty » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 38]

a few more "one tips"

Take lots of pictures,..
Also include your wife and kids as much as possible. My wife scouts with me. If I have just an evening and a morning my daughters like to come along and camp.
For some reason a good apple really makes for a good break
I always need to hydrate. I try to drink more than I feel like at camp
At night I take a Tylonol PM and Melitonine,
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Harmy » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 39]

I usually hunt alone and pack everything out by myself. In 2007 I shot a moose about 3 miles up a thick drainage above Salt Lake. I choose to debone in the field so that I could minimize the weight I had to carry. First lesson, I am not strong enough to carry 100 lbs down hill without tripping and falling upside down in the creek... Second lesson (also learned with elk) is that fat gets stuck on the knife making it difficult to continue cutting. Clean your knife frequently. Third lesson, carry more than one knife (Hair and Hide is full of dirt and small rocks taking the edge off quickly). I had to resharpen 6 times during the moose hunt and by the time I had all the meat off the carcass my hands were so worked I could barely grasp the knife any longer. My hands would barely close for the next two days. Fourth lesson, if you have a choice, don't shoot a moose in the bottom of a creek. It is impossible to move the carcass out of the water alone...
Harmy

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 40]

Just think elk evolve as people (hunters) do. Don't stick to the same ole calling techniques. Switch it up from what everyone else is doing and think what an elk would do. We learn something new every year because every year things change. Not a lot from year to year but think how you hunted 10 or 15 years ago. Are things different. Keep an open mind and be willing to learn.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby elkaholic » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 41]

Great tips guys! Here are a few that I have picked up over the years.

1. Carry a role of cotton athletic tape. If you start to get blisters on your feet you can wrap either the ball or heel of your foot and it asks as tough skin.
2. Vaseline mixed with cotton balls rolled up in tinfoil. Store them in an old pharmacy pill bottle. This little fellas light easily :twisted: (I use a water proof striker) and will burn for a couple of minutes.
3. I attach my rangefinder on my shoulder strap of my BL 2200 on my release arm. When I am clipped into my D-loop it is possible to get some last minute readings while still remaining clipped in. After taking the reading the rangefinder drops out of the way.
4. Alumilite microballons work great for use as a wind-checker. I use a small Elmers glue bottle to store mine in.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby TheBestRacksInTown » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 42]

Don't underestimate the size and job of getting your elk out of the woods after the harvest. If you've not experienced the size of the job firsthand, these animals are a bit larger than your average whitetail. Pack equipment enough to process your elk successfully. Become fimiliar with the 'gutless method'.
Wes
TheBestRacksInTown

Postby bearman da man » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 43]

Toilet paper baby....if your buddy doesn't bring any, you can always sell it a $2.00 a sheet....Made $10.00 one year.
bearman da man

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 44]

Keep your diaphrams dry and comfortable. When you shove your diaphrams, full of juice (gross.. I know.. :cry: ) into a container and store them for any period of time, they will grow mold... I use an old Federal .22 container I've had for years and fill it halfway up with circular cut papertowls to absorb the moisture.. Works quite well. Also, do not leave diaphrams, in any container, setting on the dashboard of a hot truck or in the sun period.. They will melt :

(
Photo433.jpg
Photo433.jpg (59.52 KiB) Viewed 55583 times

Photo434.jpg
Photo434.jpg (63.04 KiB) Viewed 55583 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkmedic » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 45]

Having a wilderness medicine background. To help you keep hydrated use thirst quenchers or whats fairly new out there with a verity of forms ( mio, drip fizz, etc). Add it to you water. it adds flavor to your water, electrolytes and you will find after a day of hunting your water will be used more vs hiking back with water in your pack. If your not peeing every few hours your not drinking enough.
I second the emergency gear. It's better to hike with the extra weight and be prepared, than to need something and not have it because you were trying to save a few ounces.
The napkins taken with you from various pits stops are called mountain money for a reason when your in the hills.
Elkmedic

Postby wapitibowman » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 46]

I have two tips:

1) Pick a spot

2) Follow through - don't let down until the arrow hits its mark.

I have learned these the hard way and it can make for an extremely long and frustrating day.

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby mongopino915 » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 47]

When it comes to elk calling, practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. In the elk wood is no place to practice. Try to sound as realistic as possible and become the elk. Believe in yourself and your calling, and you will call in 15 plus bulls to bow range on OTC public land, whether the elk are vocal or not.
mongopino915

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 48]

Join the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Over 6 million acres aquired for elk and wildlife. Bob Munson, Co Founder and myself at our local Banquet. One of the nicest men you will ever meet. Image
CrazyElkHunter

Postby DominicV » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 49]

I would have to say have fun! Way too many times I have seen good friends get tired and grouchy which ends up ruining friendships and hunts. Something me and my hunting partner have discussed is, even tho time is limited, is to take a break when the stress starts to build. This year we are planning on a little fishing to break things up.
DominicV

First Name: Dominic
Last Name: Valloni

Postby Freebird134 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 50]

DominicV wrote:I would have to say have fun! Way too many times I have seen good friends get tired and grouchy which ends up ruining friendships and hunts. Something me and my hunting partner have discussed is, even tho time is limited, is to take a break when the stress starts to build. This year we are planning on a little fishing to break things up.

That's a great and original tip! I was talking to my Dad yesterday about the trip I'm taking with a friend, and he was like, "Remember, it is a vacation. Have fun." Great advice.
Freebird134

Postby 8seconds » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 51]

Phantom16 wrote:Bring an adequate supply of ibuprofen.. Works well for sore muscles/joints after a day of mountain hiking/hunting.

A GREAT alternatigve to ibuprofen is "midol"! Yea, midol. You would be shocked at the impact it has. I carry it all of the time.
8seconds

First Name: Buck
Last Name: Sheward

Postby one_elk » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 52]

If you think you are walking to slow, slow down a little more. You will always see more standing still than you will moving.....
one_elk

Postby dreamhunter » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 53]

If your in an area you do not know, always take a compass reading before you leave camp.And take your compass with you. Also if you should be unsure of where you are and it's pretty darn late - dark ( not lost,we never get lost ) plan on staying the night and then head out at daybreak and hunt your way back to camp. No sense in freaking out and possibly getting hurt by pushing it. Better safe than sorry.
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby shooter21 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 54]

Lots of good stuff but mole skin and super glue dont ask y but seems like a need for a pack
shooter21

First Name: vincent
Last Name: lopez

Postby dreamhunter » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 55]

A couple things I thought of today while at work. An extra set of keys and then for the field. A small bottle of peroxide,it works great when following a blood trail. If your not sure if its blood,then spray it.If it's blood it will bubble from the proteins in the blood. otherwise it's just another one of red marks you see on leaves and such.
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby elkchaser503 » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 56]

Phantom16 wrote:Keep your diaphrams dry and comfortable. When you shove your diaphrams, full of juice (gross.. I know.. :cry: ) into a container and store them for any period of time, they will grow mold... I use an old Federal .22 container I've had for years and fill it halfway up with circular cut papertowls to absorb the moisture.. Works quite well. Also, do not leave diaphrams, in any container, setting on the dashboard of a hot truck or in the sun period.. They will melt :

(
Photo433.jpg

Photo434.jpg

i use a old kodiak can. i like you put in a papertowel too.
elkchaser503

Postby pointysticks » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 57]

broadhead tune waaaay in advance.

aiming at an animal is not the time to wonder, "hmmm, i wonder where this broadhead is going to go?"
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby foxvalley » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 58]

Try and stay out of the spots where the sun is shinning,ie, stay in the shadows whenever possible. It's amazing how someone sticks out in the sun.
Also, if you are dogging the herd, or a bull and he knows you are behind him, a trick they like to play is they will go thru an opening,or a place they can see for a ways,then they will stop just on the other side,and wait for you to cross.Bingo,your busted.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Bullnuts » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 59]

1. Know what kind of hunter you are. If you're after trophy and you're willing to eat tag sandwiches at the end of a hunt, stick with it and hunt hard. If you're the kind of guy who can't stand the taste of tag sandwiches, though, shoot the same elk on the first day that you would on the last and you'll be happy.

2.Ditto on the water and hydration.

3. Allergy pills! I am seriously allergic to elk and deer dander and will be all swollen and puffed up with snot hanging a foot out of my head if I don't take an allergy pill before field dressing. Once I get the hide off I'm fine but that elk and deer hair does a number on me.

4. Hunt from the moment you are in the woods until the moment you leave the woods. I've run into elk within sight of my truck, both going in and coming out, so it's important to be ready to go as soon as your feet hit the ground.

5. Your GPS knows where you are better than you know where you are. If you get turned around, you have to trust it and quit being so stubborn thinking that you're walking the right direction and the GPS is wrong. Trust me on this one....
Bullnuts

Postby Blackhorn » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 60]

Watch your broadhead! Couple guys were hunting last year, one was folowing the other with an arrow nocked, partner stoped and was scewered buy his buddy and killed.
Blackhorn

Postby Bullnuts » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 61]

Blackhorn wrote:Watch your broadhead! Couple guys were hunting last year, one was folowing the other with an arrow nocked, partner stoped and was scewered buy his buddy and killed.

I don't ever nock an arrow until it's time to shoot or I'm sitting somewhere for a while. Never nock an arrow if you're just walking around hunting - that's asking for trouble.
Bullnuts

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 62]

100% agreement!! Do not walk around with a broadhead nocked until it's time to shoot!!! You are asking for trouble if you do, not smart!!! Stay safe guys!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bullrub » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 63]

Always take a backup hunting knive in your pack. One year I lost my knive out of its sheath and didn't know it. I ended up killing a bull and had to gut it with one of the blades out of my broardheads.Not an easy job, but can be done.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Freebird134 » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 64]

Kind of a weird one, but true for me: Get your work done at home.

I've tried bringing work (especially when I was a student) on hunts, thinking I'd get some done in camp. Maybe a little text book reading, studying, writing, etc. I've also headed off without wrapping up some important stuff, and it's eaten away at me the whole trip. Hunting is hard enough, and I need to focus completely. If I try to bring work along, I don't hunt as well and the work suffers too.

Get your ducks in a row, and enjoy the time off.
Freebird134

Postby 2OArchery » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 65]

I keep my release on at all times. I always strap it on and draw my bow when I leave the truck. Like mentioned before, I've run into elk within sight of the truck.

And, also...

Take your release off your wrist before wiping. This is the only time I take it off when I'm not in camp.
2OArchery

Postby foxvalley » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 66]

Bullnuts wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:Watch your broadhead! Couple guys were hunting last year, one was folowing the other with an arrow nocked, partner stoped and was scewered buy his buddy and killed.

I don't ever nock an arrow until it's time to shoot or I'm sitting somewhere for a while. Never nock an arrow if you're just walking around hunting - that's asking for trouble.

Keep an eye on your arrows in your quiver they can pop out of the holder by being caught on brush,but still stuck in the quiver by just the broadhead,and eventually they will fall out. We have lost a couple this way,and it still scares me knowing that there are arrows somewhere on that trail.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby MT_Nate » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 67]

Freebird134 wrote:Kind of a weird one, but true for me: Get your work done at home.

Very true. You can't hunt elk if you're mind isn't focused on the hunt. The same probably goes for visiting elk hunting forums to get an elk fix while you're at work...it's a recipe for being worthless.

A new tip: Leave your laser rangefinder at home and learn to use bracketing. It's way faster and doesn't require you to fumble around and make noise/motion when the action becomes quick and an approaching bull beats you to the punch. My laser rangefinder is basically used to help set up my sighting and confirm my bracketing. I haven't used the laser rangefinder in the field for 5 years now, and every arrow I've shot have been dead on and single arrow kills. You can make your own (using some advanced math/trigonometry) or buy one one of the DeadOn Rangefinders - it's easy and it works amazingly well.

http://www.deadonrangefinder.com/library/forms/Elk%20r1%20small.pdf
MT_Nate

Postby MT_Nate » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 68]

One more tip. Once you've located a bull and have a sense for his position, get aggressive...move in on him quietly and do not call until you've closed the distance to within 100 yards or so. Your selected call will be determined by what you find out about the bull (lovesick, angry, etc.).

I used to get too excited and feel like I needed to call alot to keep a bull's attention, either while moving in or expecting him to come to me. All the while, giving the bull (and potentially cows) too many chances to find out this particular bugler only has two legs...
MT_Nate