Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your thoughts on scent control

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby foxvalley » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Over the years it seems to me that any elk downwind will smell you reguardless of what you do.
However,I believe that minimizing your scent can only help. We backpack in next to a creek,and our daily regiment of scent control starts after the days hunt ends. Solor shower every night,along with washing the days cloths. I like to use earthscent soap for laundry and body. Earth scent elliminator before the hunt and during the day.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Your thoughts on scent control

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I wash at least twice a day, including one complete sponge bath, or if possible a good shower. I use unscented soap on my body and clothes. I change underware and socks daily and hang out my camo when not hunting. I use scent eliminator spray to help keep my scent to a minimum, but hunt as if I smelled like a goat. I think all this helps and my scent is less obvious to the elk and other animals than if I had a strong oder.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I used to get all wrapped up in scent elimination with the sprays and soaps. But after a 30 minute to 1 hour 4 wheeler ride down the road in the dark, and sweating for another hour as I hump it up the ridge in the dark all my prep work I did was wasted.. So unless I find a way to stop sweating.. :P I just play the wind.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Lefty » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 4]

First I’m a scent minimizer freak because it seems to work. I also believe in the science of scent reduction.
A bit of background; 30 years ago I ran a trap line with a partner. He insisted on wearing hip boots to set traps and cleaned his boots when practical. He would kneel on the ground to set traps. I just squatted to set my traps He kept track of first night catches. He had a much higher incident of coyotes and a higher incident catch of fox the first night of a working set. It was very apparent coyotes shyed the first night of my trap night set. Scent reduction was important on the trap line.

I had always tried to reduce scent when rifle hunting.
So much so That I set up a separate tent to keep my hunting gear clean,.. And yeah everyone one in rifle camp thought I was nuts.

I store all of my hunting clothes in small lockers with bags of sage
After each trip all my clothes are washed together with sport-wash and placed back in the locker
I own some Cabelas “silver” clothing. When will they make boxer or jockey bottom underwear?
I keep everything as clean as possible including my tent, and camping gear.
I never sit around a fire
If Im back at camp mid day I may wipe back down and change at least my underwear.

I also have the ability to start and stay clean.
If I’m heading out for my usual Friday night, Saturday hunt
During elk season my diet becomes consistent. I limit certain spices and foods. My red-meat intake is about 1/4 during the month of September, No hot-dogs or other processed meat the days before the hunt. Lots of Granola and oatmeal,.. I dont want to smell like a preditor.
Quit the soda, and drink ginsing seeps. I also gobble alfapha tablets, Such as used in old folks homes to keep old peoples crap from smelling as bad.

I try to keep my pick-up cleaner, no scents or harsh cleaners other than sage .
My pickup is filled the night before, no gas-station stink the days of my hunt on my truck or me
I shower in scent free bio wash. I use scent free anti-perpetration on my arm pits and groin
Like I mentioned all my clothes are clean, I wear a pair of shorts, underwear and socks and a T-shirt and crank the AC on the pickup as I drive the 2 hours to hunt
I drop the AC as cold as I can manage in the PU. Most of my evening hunts at 6:30 PM has been upper 80's low 90's I stop 3 miles before my blind,. Urinate, I change my underwear and socks then my hunting clothes. Drive as close as practical to my blind Walk out to my blind (I sit on water Friday nights.)
Saturday morning I strip down wipe my private parts and armpits, use the antiperspirant, change into all fresh clothes (nothing from the night before) yep even in those frosty mornings.
While not a scent thing, but one thing I do,.. I’m not superstitious, but I put a few sprigs of sage in my boots before I head out Something I started as a kid after reading some Native American did it,.. OK that might be weird,.. but I change that sprigs mid day when I take my boots off the freshen my feet and change socks
Ill spray down a few times during the day, mostly armpits neck head and crotch.
I wipe my rear with fresh wipes.

I have been busted by elk downwind.
However in 3 years sitting in a blind Twives I’ve had 9 elk around me up and down wind for 20 minutes or more. Cows calves and bulls at arms length. The bull sniffing my ear.

Once in the middle of 8 bulls the biggest bulls walked less than 20 yards down wind and did not spook while sitting in the blind.
Twice I’ve had herds over 50 walk down wind of me and never reacted to me,.. I have also been busted by cows that walked down wind of me.

And read my last years story. They smelled me, but still hung around

I think a friend of mine sort of summed it up that as a rifle hunter. He said he doesn’t know anyone that takes as much big games as I do at such close ranges. While I would like to think Im just a good hunter LOL I firmly believe I have many opportunities others don’t be cause I try to control my smell
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Freebird134 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I"m all about scent free soaps, deodorant, laundry, etc when I can, like when I'm hunting from home. I have a scent free container I use to transport all my whitetail gear to my spot, and get dressed along the road before walking in. I'll do something similar mule deer hunting, when I'm close to my parents house. But on our backpack-in hunts, there's just not much to do. We are going to stink. We carry all our gear with us, and couldn't possibly clean our packs, tents, food, etc sufficiently. You just have to play the wind.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ctdad » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Agree with freebird. I sweat so much and don't want to carry in a complete set of clothes for everyday I'm there. I do try minimizing but it seems inadequate compared to my stink on day 8!
ctdad

Postby POk3s » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:First I’m a scent minimizer freak because it seems to work. I also believe in the science of scent reduction.
A bit of background; 30 years ago I ran a trap line with a partner. He insisted on wearing hip boots to set traps and cleaned his boots when practical. He would kneel on the ground to set traps. I just squatted to set my traps He kept track of first night catches. He had a much higher incident of coyotes and a higher incident catch of fox the first night of a working set. It was very apparent coyotes shyed the first night of my trap night set. Scent reduction was important on the trap line.

I had always tried to reduce scent when rifle hunting.
So much so That I set up a separate tent to keep my hunting gear clean,.. And yeah everyone one in rifle camp thought I was nuts.

I store all of my hunting clothes in small lockers with bags of sage
After each trip all my clothes are washed together with sport-wash and placed back in the locker
I own some Cabelas “silver” clothing. When will they make boxer or jockey bottom underwear?
I keep everything as clean as possible including my tent, and camping gear.
I never sit around a fire
If Im back at camp mid day I may wipe back down and change at least my underwear.

I also have the ability to start and stay clean.
If I’m heading out for my usual Friday night, Saturday hunt
During elk season my diet becomes consistent. I limit certain spices and foods. My red-meat intake is about 1/4 during the month of September, No hot-dogs or other processed meat the days before the hunt. Lots of Granola and oatmeal,.. I dont want to smell like a preditor.
Quit the soda, and drink ginsing seeps. I also gobble alfapha tablets, Such as used in old folks homes to keep old peoples crap from smelling as bad.

I try to keep my pick-up cleaner, no scents or harsh cleaners other than sage .
My pickup is filled the night before, no gas-station stink the days of my hunt on my truck or me
I shower in scent free bio wash. I use scent free anti-perpetration on my arm pits and groin
Like I mentioned all my clothes are clean, I wear a pair of shorts, underwear and socks and a T-shirt and crank the AC on the pickup as I drive the 2 hours to hunt
I drop the AC as cold as I can manage in the PU. Most of my evening hunts at 6:30 PM has been upper 80's low 90's I stop 3 miles before my blind,. Urinate, I change my underwear and socks then my hunting clothes. Drive as close as practical to my blind Walk out to my blind (I sit on water Friday nights.)
Saturday morning I strip down wipe my private parts and armpits, use the antiperspirant, change into all fresh clothes (nothing from the night before) yep even in those frosty mornings.
While not a scent thing, but one thing I do,.. I’m not superstitious, but I put a few sprigs of sage in my boots before I head out Something I started as a kid after reading some Native American did it,.. OK that might be weird,.. but I change that sprigs mid day when I take my boots off the freshen my feet and change socks
Ill spray down a few times during the day, mostly armpits neck head and crotch.
I wipe my rear with fresh wipes.

I have been busted by elk downwind.
However in 3 years sitting in a blind Twives I’ve had 9 elk around me up and down wind for 20 minutes or more. Cows calves and bulls at arms length. The bull sniffing my ear.

Once in the middle of 8 bulls the biggest bulls walked less than 20 yards down wind and did not spook while sitting in the blind.
Twice I’ve had herds over 50 walk down wind of me and never reacted to me,.. I have also been busted by cows that walked down wind of me.

And read my last years story. They smelled me, but still hung around

I think a friend of mine sort of summed it up that as a rifle hunter. He said he doesn’t know anyone that takes as much big games as I do at such close ranges. While I would like to think Im just a good hunter LOL I firmly believe I have many opportunities others don’t be cause I try to control my smell

I think the sage sprigs in your boot is about the least of the weird things you do......i mean holy crap man!

I wash my hunting clothes in scent free soaps and that's as far as it goes and that's simply so I don't have that perfumey smell.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Freebird134 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote: I never sit around a fire

I've actually heard people suggest smoke as a cover scent. It's a natural odor (so they argue).
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

After years of whitetail and black bear hunting I figure an animal can smell you regardless of what you do, however if you can lessen your scent it might be enough to make that animal think you are farther away than you are and come within range.
Jahnke76

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I actually don't do anything these days! In the past I was much more into trying the different things for scent control then realized it didn't really do any better than not taking extreme precautions! I too have had elk countless times where they've been so close I could count nose hairs & see them breathe, this is with doing nothing special but fanatically monitoring the wind! As a runner & gunner the wind is everything, works for us!! No way could I go through a fraction of what Lefty does, wow!! If I thought in my heart that it would make a noticeable difference then I would! (grin) I will say, stay with what works, but I don't see where you have time to hunt!!! (grin) I'm just kidding with you now!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I think for a "runner & gunner", it is probably enough to reasonably minimize your scent. Understand, no one is totally scent free, but be practical in your scent control. As a tree stand hunter I can be more anal about scent reduction. I am not running around sweating. My hunting world is all within 40 yards of me all day long. That is my area of influnece unless I am seen, heard or smelled. I sure do not want to mess up, because I did not take a few minutes to change underware or wash.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 12]

POk3s wrote:[I think the sage sprigs in your boot is about the least of the weird things you do......i mean holy crap man!

:lol: :lol: Some guys spend hours a day, running and lifting to stay in shape for 10 days of hunting,.. I just spend less than an hour per hunt keeping my stuff clean.
Lefty

Postby ctdad » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I can't find reference now that I'm looking for it but I did see an interesting informal study done with scent dogs testing how long it took them to follow a scent trail to an article of clothing. They used clothes with no scent elimination attempts, normal clothes with scent elimination sprays and scent lock along with scent elimination sprays. The dogs were qualified scent tracking dogs. The difference between how long it took the dogs to locate each item was a couple seconds difference in time. One could argue that a couple seconds might make a difference and help you get the shot off. I took it as a lot of extra work and effort for very little reward. This study was far from perfect science, but I'm not sure the difference in time was even statistically significant.

I do agree there is a difference between run and gun vs. tree stand hunting. Scent is likely to accumulate if you are sitting still vs. constantly moving. I deer hunt from a tree stand for at least three months every fall and I love having a steady wind to carry my scent in one direction. Still days are never productive for me. The deer smell me from every direction. But I still hunt on a still day if I can. Best time to hunt is when you can.
ctdad

Postby Buckriser » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Freebird134 wrote:
Lefty wrote: I never sit around a fire

I've actually heard people suggest smoke as a cover scent. It's a natural odor (so they argue).

I've also heard of this an have been tempted to try it on a hunt sometime, but I just can't bring myself to doing it. There is almost nobody that has tried it had a bad experience using this method. Maybe someday I'll give it a go?
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Play the wind, as this has been stated earlier on here. By the time I carry a pack or ride a mule up the trail in the dark, I either smell like a sweaty hunter or a sweaty mule by the time he is hobbled or tied up. I do wear merino wool for a base layer which seems to help but still by all means play the wind.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I understand playing the wind. But I do what I can to prevent alerting game. Maybe I walkin up wind At 300 yards I dont spook them, or 200, maybe 600. I then get a chance at those elk If I hadnt taken some simple precations . I would rather hunt without camo before going in smelly

I use to rifle hunt with a group,. no shower until you kill an elk,.. I dont know how those guys crawled into their sleeping bag at night without choking. Im not kidding 2nd night I slept out in -10 than stay in that tent ,..
Lefty

Postby POk3s » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Lefty I think they named this product just for you :)

http://www.primos.com/products/scent-co ... freak-kit/
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I knew I should have trademarked :lol: the name
I dont need the condtioner, or the mesh bag, or the dryer sheets,....... Drier sheets, isnt that going a bit too far :lol:
Hey where is the gum ( Ive never used the gum,........yet)
POk3s wrote:Lefty I think they named this product just for you :)
http://www.primos.com/products/scent-co ... freak-kit/
Lefty

Postby POk3s » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 19]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would nicely call them up and ask them to put that in your basket!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 20]

POk3s wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would nicely call them up and ask them to put that in your basket!

I buy all my stuff at the end of the year clearance at Cabelas, Sportsmans, or Walmart for cheap
Even on sale I dont think I would use the hair conditioner
Lefty

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Lefty, it's good to see you have a sense of humor!!! (grin) You must admit you go to extremes in comparison to most elk hunters! (grin) You go routes I could not even compare with!! With the trouble you go through I hope you kill lots of elk! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mattstanton » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 22]

wind, wind, wind! keep the wind in your face or you will be eating tag soup. Other than that, minimal cleaning will help and the right baselayers will also but the only true scent elimitator is the wind.
mattstanton