Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2015 Elknut Elk Calling Contest - Here we go!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2015 Elknut Elk Calling Contest - Here we go!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2015 •  [Post 1]

ElknutElkCallingContest.jpg

Time to knock the dust off the calls (or get your orders in for new ones) and start getting your sound clip ready for the 2nd annual Elknut Elk Calling Contest. The rules in the flyer are pretty self explanatory but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Send your sound clip to the email listed in the flyer "only", please do not post them in the contest announcement thread. Looking forward to lots of participants this year! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: 2015 Elknut Elk Calling Contest - Here we go!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 28, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Hope everone is practicing and working on their entry clip; the contest window opens in a mere three weeks from this Saturday! The contest prizes are starting to roll in; I'll divulge some of the prizes over the next week or so. Really looking forward to this second annual Elknut Calling Contest.... best of luck to all the contestants!
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 08, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Update: A few of the contest prizes have been identified and are rolling in. Vortex Optics, Poison Arrow Gear, Clipshot, Wapiti River Outdoors, Berry Game Calls, RMEF, Phelps Game Calls, and Elknut Outdoor Productions. Hope everbody is working on their submission. Contest window opens in two weeks ;)

Sponsor update: Elk Hunter Magazine!
WapitiTalk1

Postby mandrroofing » 05 08, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Caint wait!
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I've had a few inquiries over the past week on who may enter the calling contest. The 2nd Annual Elknut Elk Calling Contest is for amateur/novice callers only. Those who have competed on higher levels such as the Mens or Pro Divisions are not allowed to enter. Basically it boils down to this. Once you have stood on a stage and competed at a high level, you're beyond the amateur level. Hope this clarifies who may enter.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Wapiti » 05 12, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Also the goal of this contest is for everyone to have fun and contribute any way they can. Everyone will gain in the end and your calling while hunting will definitely improve.

Guys do not be afraid to enter as we are here to help and we do not expect perfect sounds. Simply try your hardest and have a good time.

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 13, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Well put Wapiti (Trav).

I've had a couple of inquiries about the best way to record a sound and which sound file format will work. You can use your cell phone recorder or plug a microphone into your computer and use your PC's sound recorder. Either one should produce a file I can use. If anybody wishes to, you're welcome to record a test sound prior to the entry window opening (howdy RJ, how's the weather in the Evergreen State?).. and send it to the email listed in the flyer to make sure you've got a file format that works. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 15, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Is everyone practicing their sound clip? The entry window opens in a mere week from tomorrow.

Well, all the contest prizes have been identified. As you can see below, we were able to increase the prize packets in both quality and quantity for 2015! Thanks to all the sponsors who are contributing to this second annual Elknut Elk Calling contest. We have prize packages for the top six finishers, and, four pretty dang cool raffle prizes we'll draw out of a hat.

Contest Prizes

1st. Vortex Optics (8X32 Diamondback Binoculars, Vortex harness, lens pen); Elknut store $100 gift cert; Elk Hunter magazine one year subscription.

2nd. Poison Arrow Gear Decoy (cow elk); Elknut Sounds by the Elk CD and Playbook; Phelps Game Call package ( EZ Estrus cow call, 3 pack of diaphragms); Elk Hunter magazine one year subscription.

3rd. Elknut Advertising and Breeding Sequences DVDs; Wapiti River Outdoors ultimate elk calling package (Commander bugle tube, Easy Girl bite and blow cow call, Bull Buster Reed, Reaper domed reed, Black Widow domed reed, reed pouch, wind checker); Elk Hunter magazine one year subscription.

4th. Wapiti River Outdoors ultimate elk calling package (Commander bugle tube, Easy Girl bite and blow cow call, Bull Buster Reed, Reaper domed reed, Black Widow domed reed, reed pouch, wind checker); Elk Hunter magazine one year subscription.

5th. Clip Shot w/smart phone adaptor; Phelps Game Calls (3 pack of diaphragms); Elk Hunter magazine one year subscription.

6th. Wapiti River Outdoors elk calling package (Commander bugle tube, bull buster reed, reaper domed reed); Berry Game Calls DVDs (VOL 1 Elk, Turkey, Caribou, Antelope Hunting; Speedgoats-Hunting Pronghorn Antelope)

Raffles

WRO raffle #1 (Easy Girl bite and blow cow call)
WRO raffle #2 (Black Widow domed reed, reed pouch, thermals wind checker)
RMEF one year membership (includes Bugle magazine).
RMEF one year membership (includes Bugle magazine).
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 22, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Entry window officially opens tomorrow. Wishing all the contestants the best of luck in this second annual Elknut Elk Calling Contest. Will probably do the first raffle prize after we've received a handfull of entries as an incentive to get folks to submit their clips earlier rather than later :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 26, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Received a handfull of entries over the weekend. I'll wait until I get a few more to pull the first raffle prize contestant number, maybe tomorrow (Wednesday, 27 May). Let's go with a free one year membership in the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for the first raffle draw. Not only is the RMEF a great organization but the bugle magazine that you receive with your membership is an exceptional publication. 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 28, 2015 •  [Post 11]

As promised, I threw the names of those entries we've received to this point in a hat and pulled the first raffle prize today. The winner of a one year membership in the RMEF (complete with a subscription to Bugle magazine) is......... drum roll please ............ "mandrroofing". I'll get the gift certificate out in the mail tomorrow. Congrats to our first raffle draw prize winner! Get your contest clips in folks, I'll pull another raffle prize over the weekend.
WapitiTalk1

Postby mandrroofing » 05 28, 2015 •  [Post 12]

That's awesome guys, I was just about to pull the trigger on a membership but decided to wait, this will really get my foot in the door. This is much appreciated thanks again!
mandrroofing

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 28, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Congrats, mandrroofing! You will certainly enjoy the magazine. And good luck in the contest.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 29, 2015 •  [Post 14]

I assume some folks are still tweaking their clip before sending it in. Of course that's fine, but, by waiting till the last day to submit your entry..... you may miss out on an opportunity for another super cool raffle prize :D . Will draw another one this weekend.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 31, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Raffle #2 has been drawn from those entries I've received. Silverslinger is the proud owner of a Wapiti River Outdoors Black Widow reed, WRO reed pouch, and WRO Theremals Wind Checker. Will get the raffle prize in the mail shortly. Congrats Silverslinger!
WapitiTalk1

Postby mandrroofing » 05 31, 2015 •  [Post 16]

its sounds like were a lil short on entries.do we know how many entered last year?
mandrroofing

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 31, 2015 •  [Post 17]

10 or 12 last year if I remember correctly. Have a feeling we'll top that total this year...keep em coming folks!
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 01, 2015 •  [Post 18]

We'll give out raffle prize #3 on Wednesday and raffle prize #4 on Friday or Saturday. You can't win one of these if you haven't entered the calling contest ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 02, 2015 •  [Post 19]

Raffle #3 will be another one year membership in the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (complete with Bugle magazine). We'll draw the name out of a hat from those who have an entry submitted, at some point tomorrow (Wednesday). If you're entry clip is ready, send it in for a chance to win Wednesday's raffle prize ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 03, 2015 •  [Post 20]

Winner, winner elk steak dinner :D. Buglebuster is the winner of today's raffle prize drawing, a one year membership in the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (complete with Bugle magazine). Congrats buglebuster, I'll get your gift certificate send to your email shortly.

Will draw another raffle prize winner in a few days. Reminder that all entries must be received by this Sunday, 7 June. Thanks to all who have submitted their entries thus far and we're looking forward to receiving more prior to the cutoff date.
WapitiTalk1

Postby buglebuster » 06 03, 2015 •  [Post 21]

Awesome! Thanks!
buglebuster

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 04, 2015 •  [Post 22]

buglebuster wrote:Awesome! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, buglebuster. Welcomed with a nice prize to boot!
BrentLaBere

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 05, 2015 •  [Post 23]

I'm gonna pull the next (and last) raffle prize tomorrow at some point. Send your entry/sound clips in folks if you'd like to have your name in the hat for the raffle prize on Saturday.

Reminder, the contest entry window closes Sunday.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 06, 2015 •  [Post 24]

Raffle prize! Allrighty then, I just had my lovely assistant pull a contestant number out of a hat and the lucky winner of a Wapiti River Outdoors "Easy Girl" bite and blow cow call is RooseveltObsession. I'll contact Trav from WRO and ask him to send one of these very good cow calls to the lucky winner. Congrats!

OK, the deadline for entries is midnight tomorrow (Sunday, 7 June). We have a good handfull of entries but there is certainly room for more contestants. Reminder that the top 6 finishers receive very nice prize packages from the sponsors! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby RooseveltObsession » 06 06, 2015 •  [Post 25]

Sweet! Can't wait to give it a try!
RooseveltObsession

First Name: Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 08, 2015 •  [Post 26]

Let the judging begin! The contest window closed yesterday and all of the audio clips have been provided to the judges for their review, scoring, and comment. We have a total of 11 entries this year and I've gotta say, there are some pretty darn good submissions. Best of luck to all who entered and thank you for participating in the second annual Elknut Elk Calling Contest :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby eltaco » 06 10, 2015 •  [Post 27]

Just when I started getting the feeling that elk season is quickly approaching, I stop in to realize the feeling hit me a couple of weeks late this year!

I'll start my practicing nonetheless!

Good luck to th entrants!
eltaco

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 10, 2015 •  [Post 28]

Waiting on the last judge guys..... almost there :) I gotta say, some pretty darn good entries this year!
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 29]

Received the final judges scoresheet last night. Working on the total scores this morning and should have the top six finishers posted a bit later this morning. A big thank you to our gracious contest host Elknut, all the contestants for taking the time to put together and submit a contest recording, the judges, and certainly to all the sponsors who generously donated prizes and continues to support the Elknut Calling Contest.

Contest sponsors, a huge thank you for supporting the second annual Elknut Elk Caling contest!

Vortex Optics
Elknut Outdoor Productions
Wapit River Outdoors
Poison Arrow Decoys
Phelps Game Calls
RMEF
Elk Hunter magazine
Clip Shot
Berry Game Calls
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 30]

Everybody ready for the top six finishers in the 2nd Annual, Elknut Elk Calling Contest to be revealed?
WapitiTalk1

Postby RooseveltObsession » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 31]

You know it!!!
RooseveltObsession

Postby mandrroofing » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 32]

[THUMBS UP SIGN]
mandrroofing

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 33]

Ahh, heck... maybe we should wait till early next week to announce the top six finishers. What's the hurry :D Give me a minute to finish wolfing my pizza down and I'll post em up. Some really good clips/programs entered this year folks and if you didn't make the top six, in several cases, it was only by a few points.
WapitiTalk1

Postby mandrroofing » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 34]

uploadfromtaptalk1434156280142.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434156280142.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 24931 times
mandrroofing

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 35]

Allright folks, here are the top six finishers in the 2nd Annual Elknut Elk Calling contest. Prizes will be coming at you from all directions (I have some of the sponsor prizes in my possession but many will come from the sponsor locations, i.e., Eknut, WRO, Phelps Game Calls, etc.). Keep in touch over the next week or so and let me know if you've received your promised prize booty ;) .. I'd like to thank Elknut again for hosting this event, the judges, all the sponsors, my second grade science teacher, Fred Bear, my 8th grade babysitter, Ted Nugent.... OK, enough... Here you go.

1. Silverslinger
2. xXlojackXx
3. RooseveltObsession
4. BrentLaBere
5. Heartwood
6. Wapitibowman

I'll try my best to get the top six sound clips posted so you folks can hear them this weekend.

Thanks again to all those who entered! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Heartwood » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 36]

Thank you Phantom for organizing and running the contest! Thanks to Elknut forum for hosting and the judges for scoring. Thanks to all the sponsors for the great prizes! Lots of fun and great practice for the real deal in September.
Heartwood

Last Name: Houle

Postby mandrroofing » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 37]

Congrats everyone!
mandrroofing

Postby wapitibowman » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 38]

Thanks to phantom, elknut, judges, and all the sponsors. I am excited to hear the others, to keep on trying to improve.

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2015 •  [Post 39]

Let's see if I can do this right. Here are the top six finishers (note that there was a tie for 7th place and they were only two points below the six place finisher). Who were the judges? GSElkhunter (former top level calling competitor and elk slayer), Wapiti (current top level elk noise maker, elk slayer, and owner of Wapiti River Outdoors), Elkmtngear (elk hunter/slayer/caller and owner of Elk Mountain Gear), and yours truly, Phantom16, just a grizzled old elk hunter/caller since oh, let's be kind and say the early 80s ;) .

[ Play Quicktime file ] 1st Place Silverslinger.mp3 [ 1020 KiB | Viewed 24905 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] 2nd Place xXljackXx.m4a [ 521.27 KiB | Viewed 24905 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] 3rd Place RooseveltObsession.m4a [ 1004.31 KiB | Viewed 24905 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] 4th Place BrentLaBere.mp3 [ 997.96 KiB | Viewed 24905 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] 5th Place Heartwood.m4a [ 508.26 KiB | Viewed 24905 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] 6th Place Wapitibowman.mp4 [ 893.73 KiB | Viewed 24905 times ]

WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2015 •  [Post 40]

Yes sir, thanks to all who participated & congrats to the Winner! Heck you're all winners, nice job folks & thanks!

p.s. A big thanks to Rory (Phantom16) for putting it all together & to the judges donating their time & expertise, thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Sliverslinger » 06 13, 2015 •  [Post 41]

For everyone involved and all the sponsors I just wanted to say thanks so much. What a cool thing to participate in and a great way to learn.

BTW, I got drawn for one of the raffles last week and received my package yesterday. One of the things in there was a Wapiti River Outdoors Black Widow diaphragm which I'd never heard of before, but I've been playing with it for the last 20 minutes or so and this thing is stinking awesome! I'm gonna have to pick up a few of these.

Anyway, thanks again all. There was some great calling to learn from and a great way to pass the time until September!
Sliverslinger

First Name: Shad
Last Name: Hail

Postby Wapiti » 06 13, 2015 •  [Post 42]

Congratulations to all you folks that made the time to make some noise and be heard !! Without you all participating there would be no contest so to all you guys I applaud you !!

As Rory stated prizes with be coming from the sponsors and in this case I'm in Canada so please allow a little more time to receive them. Usually about 7-10 days !!

I personally feel like everyone who tried and sent in there clips......your all winners in my book !! So I'm going to get all your addresses from Rory and everyone is getting a PRIZE !!!!

Thank you to everyone !!! Have a great elk season !!

Travis O'Shea
Wapiti River Outdoors
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby CurlyTail » 06 13, 2015 •  [Post 43]

This was a lot of fun and generated a lot of interest. Thanks for all the work organizing this Phantom 16. Thanks to the judges. Congrats to Silverslinger, and thanks in advance to Wapiti for the "booby" prize!!! Looks like I get to retain my amateur status another year. Looking forward to participating again next year.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby RooseveltObsession » 06 13, 2015 •  [Post 44]

Thanks to all involved!!! What a great and fun learning experience! I've already got some ideas for next year and will have my eye on the top spot.

Until then, I'll practice for another 77 days, then unleash my sounds on the ghosts of the rainforest.

Thanks again to the sponsors and judges and a BIG thank you to Travis, over at WRO, for the Reaper...just an awesome call!
RooseveltObsession

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 15, 2015 •  [Post 45]

Just got back from a little trip out to western Montana. Felt good to get back out there....and really hard to leave.
RJ, thanks for all the work you put into making this happen. Awesome stuff. Thanks to all of the other judges and sponsors for donating time and some goodies. This is good practice for the real thing coming soon.
Attachments
MT.jpg
MT.jpg (136.25 KiB) Viewed 24802 times
BrentLaBere

Postby GobbleFarmer » 06 16, 2015 •  [Post 46]

That's an awesome pic Brent! And Phantom, you did an awesome job orchestrating this contest, Good job 8-) . Congratulations to the winners and all of the contestants. This looked like a lot of fun, maybe I'll be in the next one ;) ...
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby Wapiti » 06 18, 2015 •  [Post 47]

OK guys all the prize packages have been sent out on my end and prizes for those that didn't win but tried really hard are all sent out as well.

Perfect timing to keep you guys calling as the season is only 2.5 months away !!

Good luck you guys !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby ishy » 06 25, 2015 •  [Post 48]

Got a couple calls in the mail!
Thanks Travis
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Wapiti » 06 26, 2015 •  [Post 49]

Your welcome ishy !!
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 06, 2015 •  [Post 50]

Wapiti wrote:OK guys all the prize packages have been sent out on my end and prizes for those that didn't win but tried really hard are all sent out as well.

Perfect timing to keep you guys calling as the season is only 2.5 months away !!

Good luck you guys !!

Trav

Just started playing with the new calls. Thanks Travis.
BrentLaBere