Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dumb Mistakes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dumb Mistakes

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What are some preventable mistakes you've made?

I've learned not to cross a ridgeline where you'll be skylined. Stay low and use cover to get across.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: Dumb Mistakes

Postby Freebird134 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Being lazy and setting up our bivy camp low on the mountain and scaring all the elk out of our drainage!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

When bugling or cow calling for location make sure you are not in a spot where elk can look from a distance & see you standing there calling! As soon as we represent an elk others can look our way & we may not have a clue they did! Stick to cover!!!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Last year I had a big herd bull 100yds below me, telling me to stay away after hearing my footfalls. The wind was swirling,so I decided to back out and wait for the wind to steady. It really never did, and I lost the chance. He was very ornery and I wish I would have just charged down there.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby bullrub » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Have an arrow nocked and ready when setting on a stand, things can happen real fast. :cry: :cry:
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 6]

1. Remember that bull elk bugles do not always sound perfect/textbook. I've heard some crazy noises made by bulls that I swore had to be made by a human who couldn't bugle very well. I was incorrect :(

2. Beware silent elk coming in after you set up and throw out cow or bull sounds. Every.... single..... year I make the mistake of moving away from the spot too quickly :(
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby foxvalley » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 7]

If alone, call then move downwind,even if it's not the direction your going or you don't hear anything. Or if you have a partner always have the shooter downwind, all the time,before you start calling.

I missed another great chance last year after bumping a couple cows. I did a short scream, then raked, then waited about 15 min. Nothing happened,so I continued on. Big mistake,I should have moved downwind 30 yds right away, and waited a little longer. As I was moving forward, a bull screamed and came tearing in about 50yds downwind. I saw tines about the same time he caught my wind. Another missed oppertunity.
foxvalley

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Good list! Keep it coming.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby dreamhunter » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 9]

This is good stuff,I love this forum
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 10]

When cold calling, give plenty of time for the situation to develop. Elk can and will come in silently!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby dito » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Kneeling in tall grass instead of standing. When the bull comes in all you can see is his head. Doh!
dito

First Name: Armando
Last Name: Vigil

Postby ctdad » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Paying more attention to all the fresh elk sign, rather than the live elk you just walked up on.
ctdad

Postby bullrub » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 13]

The bottom line is we all make mistakes and feel like fools as long as we learn from them. The sad part is we will just make new one's.
But it sure is fun chasing elk. :lol:
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby N5J » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Keep your caller behind the shooter 30 to 40 yards in heavy cover. You have a better chance to pull bulls past you...I lost a chance at a nice 7x7 because the caller moved upto me!

N5J James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 15]

This is awesome! Turn this stuff around and it's like a roadmap of how to be a GOOD elkhunter.

1. Dont skyline yourself.
2. Camp far enough away from where the elk are to not push them out of the area.
3. Every time you call, do it as if you expect an elk to come in. Call from cover, never from the open.
4. Be aggressive if the situation warrants it.
5. Be aware and ready to shoot. Expect elk at any time.
6. Wait 30 minutes to an hour at ALL cold calling setups.
7. If alone, call and move downwind. Dont call from the new location.
8. In a hunter shooter setup, put the shooter downwind.

Funny how many of these are in the Playbook! It's almost like Elknut learned these from making dumb mistakes over the years?! :mrgreen:

What else guys? Keep it coming!
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby foxvalley » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Rockchucker,Dude,you are on!!!
Pound this stuff into your head,this is how to kill,learn from all the mistakes!

I think the biggest mistake anybody can make at this time, especially the first timers, is reading the playbook once or twice and calling it good. There is way to much info,memorize it! Paul has unlocked the door,read between the lines,hang on every word,learn it! There is a good chance you are going to have a very angry 1000lb. bull elk screaming in your face very soon!!Envision yourself as the shooter,and what to do.Can you,or do you know what works best to stop him for the shot? Now envision yourself as the caller.Can you bring him in for your partner to kill? Will you understand what the bull is saying, or what he is demanding of you?
foxvalley

Postby hornart » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Never step on logs that you know are wet,,step over them or go around
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 18]

hornart wrote:Never step on logs that you know are wet,,step over them or go around

Lol! Sounds like you learned that one the hard way.

That reminds me of a story my Dad tells. He was muley hunting in CO years ago and decided to cross a creek on a log before daylight. Halfway across the log broke and left him standing in waist deep VERY cold water.

He continued on his hunt and learned a second lesson for the day--don't wear cotton socks. They never dry out and are not warm when wet.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby hornart » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 19]

RockChucker30 wrote:
hornart wrote:Never step on logs that you know are wet,,step over them or go around

Lol! Sounds like you learned that one the hard way.

That reminds me of a story my Dad tells. He was muley hunting in CO years ago and decided to cross a creek on a log before daylight. Halfway across the log broke and left him standing in waist deep VERY cold water.

He continued on his hunt and learned a second lesson for the day--don't wear cotton socks. They never dry out and are not warm when wet.

Your right,,Rockchucker30,,sorry about your dads experience but that has happened to me before too,,but wet logs will usually leave you laying on your backside,,lol
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith