Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Well Dressed Tree Stand Hunter

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Well Dressed Tree Stand Hunter

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What is fashionable for a hunter perched thirty feet up a tree? What do you wear?
The deer and elk really don't care what you wear, so Real Tree or plaid are just fine. I have worn a white tee shirt and blue jeans on a warn afternoon and killed elk.
Temperatures can range from the mid teens to about 90*F during a hunt. The temps can change in a day from 20*F to the mid 70s*F. That is where we need to focus our efforts. I find it difficult to stay warm and comfortable when the temperatures are below freezing, without bulking up too much. I wear four, or five layers including a vest. These include a tee shirt, full length underwear top and bottom, a shirt and maybe a pullover sweat shirt in addition to the vest. I have a Chuck Adams style knit cap and gloves. It has always been enough but not always comfortable. When it is cold the main material I go with is wool. I have some modern synthetics, but they are no better than wool for keeping you warm. As far as what would cause a sweat or not wick moisture or even what would produce an odor when I am hiking around, makes no difference in a stationary place like a tree stand. I do not hike to or from the stand fully layered up. What will barely be enough to keep a person warm in the stand all day would cook you hiking around.
Rain and snow is another matter. the temperature issue remains the same, but you will need some rain gear. I prefer soft Gore-Tex. One thing to be careful about is bulky sleeves for bow hunters. You can brush the sleeve with your string when shooting and have a miss on what should have been a relatively simple shot. Another thing to be mindful of is getting too cold. As you chill off ou lose strength and will not be able to draw your bow the same as when you were warm. For that reason I keep my draw weight about 5# below what I can draw when I am warm and comfortable.
What else?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Well Dressed Tree Stand Hunter

Postby ishy » 02 28, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Whatever is comfortable. I am usually calling to and from so the usual hunting garb. I have left warmer clothes in the stand, but have lost too many things to bears. On our bear baits we leave a sweaty t shirt onsite to get bears use to our scent and they always get torn up.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

30 feet up???????? How about a parachute! :P
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2019 •  [Post 4]

>>>---WW----> wrote:30 feet up???????? How about a parachute!

From 30 feet up does an arrow gain speed and energy as it travels downward?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics