Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Hunter Scouting

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Hunter Scouting

Postby Swede » 06 07, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Ok, tree stand hunters, tell me how, when and what you look for when scouting for what you plan to hunt.
I hunt elk from a stand. If something else comes by that I have a tag for I may shoot it, but I let a lot pass too. My scouting is totally aimed at elk.
This July I will be reviewing previous stand locations and searching out some new spots I see on G.E. or on a map. Partly I am looking at springs and partly just looking at elk travel ways. When I get to the woods I cover a lot of ground because I have no great tried and proven tree stand locator.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Hunter Scouting

Postby wawhitey » 06 08, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Scouting for my deer stands, obviously the most important thing is setting the stands where the bucks will actually show up, otherwise whats the point? So aside from that, i think my main considerations in choosing a stand sight are wind / thermals, and low impact ingress and egress. If ill be hunting a stand for a westerly wind, can i access it from an eastish direction without stomping all through a bedding area etc? Low impact in and out is huge. Regardless of what youre hunting, if your quarry is busting you on your way to your stand, theyre going to wise up real fast.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Tree Stand Hunter Scouting

Postby Swede » 06 08, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Well said Whitey. I have found that timing can be important too if you need to access your stand from a certain direction. If I go there in the morning and the wind is wrong, every critter in the country is on notice, but if I wait until later I gen slip in unnoticed. E.g. following out a ridge and dropping down to my stand was a bad idea at daybreak with the winds all downslope. By waiting until the sun had warmed things, and the winds upslope, I could go in with no problem and sit the remainder of the day.
If we can change the direction of approach it can make a huge difference for some stand locations. E.g. Instead of coming in along the ridge; go up the canyon and then hike straight up to your stand to keep animals from scenting us.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics