Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Will Get You Into A tree Stand?

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Will Get You Into A tree Stand?

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I elk hunt almost entirely from a tree stand. The only time I hunt on the ground is when someone wants me to accompany them. Even then I usually drag my feet and return to a stand ASAP. It seems I have much better success setting up in a tree over some good trails at a water hole. I don't get shin splints or blisters in my stand, but I view enough wildlife to pass much time at that. So why have you not tried stand hunting and what would it get you to grow a bushy tail and climb a tree?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What Will Get You Into A tree Stand?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 31, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Hunting buddy and I will probably, finally, put some "tree-standing" into our hunts this year. I know this method works but we've always been too impatient to sit and wait, always choosing to deep dive for talkative bulls. After seeing a real world example of somebody employing tree standing for elk, successfully, a few years ago when Mr. Swede joined me for a spud state hunt...that was the final nudge I needed. Joe and I will head to our spot in early July this year and "prep" a few TS sites in anticipation of our SEP hunt. What is finally getting me into TS hunting for elk? Again, seeing it work in person, and just perhaps, I may be getting a tad old to hunt like I have in the past. I'm sure Joe and I will still do some diving for screamers, but, it'd sure be nice to down at least one elk where the pack isn't 62.3 miles uphill through alder hell :D.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby lamrith » 01 31, 2020 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Hunting buddy and I will probably, finally, put some "tree-standing" into our hunts this year. I know this method works but we've always been too impatient to sit and wait, always choosing to deep dive for talkative bulls. After seeing a real world example of somebody employing tree standing for elk, successfully, a few years ago when Mr. Swede joined me for a spud state hunt...that was the final nudge I needed. Joe and I will head to our spot in early July this year and "prep" a few TS sites in anticipation of our SEP hunt. What is finally getting me into TS hunting for elk? Again, seeing it work in person, and just perhaps, I may be getting a tad old to hunt like I have in the past. I'm sure Joe and I will still do some diving for screamers, but, it'd sure be nice to down at least one elk where the pack isn't 62.3 miles uphill through alder hell :D.

It definitely is a different style, but as you mentioned, it does work as we we saw that season with one elk and one bear down in a very odd and quiet year for the area.

If you are a person that truly likes the peace of being outdoors enjoying the woods around you nothing beats it. The woods come alive around you if you are doing it right, but it does take patience for sure. Just make sure your snack bags are sealed tight or Rocky will be sneaking off with your trailmix.

I have heard swede mention books, I think that is a great idea and something I neglected to bring when I tree-stand hunted. For me the key would be having a spot that I had either put trail cams on to know it was getting used, or at least very solid sign of consistent game usage. That and reasonable weather, climbing a tree with slippery branches and then sitting in the rain are not on my to do list, I would rather be on foot moving in that sort of weather.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Tigger » 01 31, 2020 •  [Post 4]

ain't happening for elk! I do plenty of that hunting whitetails and I want to hunt differently for elk. No other reason.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 10, 2020 •  [Post 5]

As long as I can physically move around Im staying out of a stand
I had a place in the desert bull elk passed 1;3 days,during daylight hours the 2nd and part 3 week

I know I could kill an elk most years easily from a stand or blind. I can sit in a goose pit all day long, And I quit hunting deer with my dad ,. just too boring.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H