Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What You See From Your Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What You See From Your Stand

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I see elk, bear, coyotes etc., but rarely do I see a good buck deer. I saw no deer at all this past season. I was wondering if others are seeing any good bucks from their elk stands?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What You See From Your Stand

Postby Tigger » 11 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Elk stands? You mean you can hunt elk from a tree stand? That is crazy talk. :o
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Tigger, there are three types of critters I find in trees. Most are there to gather food. Birds, including birds of prey, bow hunters (another lethal predator), and squirrels that gather nuts and cones for their winter food.
Now there is a critter that stays on the ground trying to gather food by tooting on a whistle, but usually all he calls in are other critters like himself tooting on whistles. But it is fun. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ABQ_Chica » 06 28, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I've seen elk, coyotes, turkeys, hawks, a bear, other hunters, and some bird watchers from my stand. And squirrels and pika, of course. No deer for me, either. But I've heard them around my tent at night, and we see them on our way to and from our stands sometimes.
My hunting partners have seen mountain lions and bobcats from the stand. One of them has had hummingbirds land on his arrows, birds land on his hat, and hawks hang out in the tree with him. He even caught and calmed someone's runaway pack horse in camp one afternoon.
ABQ_Chica