Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Moving In Your Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Moving In Your Stand

Postby Swede » 05 26, 2019 •  [Post 1]

With different animals including elk, be careful when you move. If you see a critter coming towards you there is a tendency to reach for your bow/gun. Maybe you will want to stand, but it is best to wait until the bull or ??? is below, or past before you reach out or stand. I have had unfilled tags for getting in too big of a hurry. Some folks believe elk don't look up or see above eve level. I don't think they are looking up either, but they have good peripheral vision.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Moving In Your Stand

Postby Swede » 05 31, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I was thinking I might get the Nobel prize in hunting for my brilliant observation, but it is just crickets. :lol:
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 03, 2019 •  [Post 3]

When to move? Well it depends. My daughter and I were on a mentor turkey hunt with an expert. We had a gobbler coming in through some thick brush. He told her not to move and I had all I could do to not tell her otherwise. He couldn't see us yet, it WAS the time to move. The gobbler got in close and he told her to move when its head went behind a tree....well that didn't work as it was behind the tree for all of 0.004278 seconds. If she would have got her gun ready when we first knew he was coming, we would have gotten him I am sure.

Sometimes I worry about whitetails seeing my eyes blink. Sometimes I can do jumping jacks in my stand. It just depends and experience will teach you what you can and cannot get away with. Unless you have ants in your pants like someone on this forum.... :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2019 •  [Post 4]

The elk won't see you at extreme angles, but be careful. I still get busted every once in awhile. I think it is the ant's fault, but just moving my arm to retrieve my bow has ruined a good opportunity. Standing at the wrong time can be a disaster.
Swede