Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitting Long

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitting Long

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2019 •  [Post 1]

How many hours will you sit in a stand per day? Do you believe sitting for many hours is a productive use of your time? Also how many days in a season will you wait in a stand if you have not taken the animal you are waiting for?

I believe waiting is the best use of my hunting time and each hour is as good as the first. I will wait in one stand or another all season if necessary. I have put in over 13 hours in a days and almost all of a 30 day season.

The season is coming soon. I hope you tree stand hunters are prepared and have a great spot selected to ambush a critter from. I think I have several that could be productive. My cameras may reveal to me which is best.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Sitting Long

Postby Lefty » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

My dads best life time friend would sit in a tree stand an hour before sunrise till the end of legal shooting time some time for 9 days straight waiting for a big white tail buck
I have gotten to the point I don’t get board in the goose pit or the ground blind I just start working the hunt to keep busy

I tend to be an active hunter that is what I prefer and the action of an answering bull is more action than ambushing an elk

Hopefully I’ll live long enough where my option will only be sitting and waiting

Time wise to kill an elk I have my what I call my old man location about every third day between the 10th to the 20 th a bigger mature bull passes
So in reality less than 30 hours
A neighbor hunts a wallow he has multiple elk visit daily
He took videos of 8-10 bulls under. 25 yards or so 5. Days 30 hours on the wallow
And a tough 2 mile hike in
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ABQ_Chica » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 3]

We're usually in our stands for morning and evening hunts (about 5:30 to 10:30am and 4pm to dark). But I have a new job this year and can't get much time off, so I may stay out all day to maximize opportunity when I do make it out to hunt. Pesky day job!!
ABQ_Chica

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 4]

As mentioned in other posts and threads, I usually sit where multiple trails merge at a water hole. The time of day that elk show up near my stand differs based on the water hole location in relation to routes of travel and nearby bedding areas. Time of the season and even the weather seem to be factors also. At any rate it is too complex for me to keep be sure of, or I am making too much out of coincidences, so I too would sit all day if you can, and take advantage of every opportunity. I have the entire season, and I plan to be out all I can, every day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics