Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree stand safety

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree stand safety

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 03, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Let’s face it. I don’t want to die doing what I love!!! So I’m all about trying to stay safe to the best of my ability when I’m the tree. Harness, life line, climbing rope for when im setting up the stand…I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos on things people use. I don’t mind the rock climbing harness idea but I already bought the harness I use so no reason to go spend more money.

What do you guys use?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Tree stand safety

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I use the HSS vest type harness. It is comfortable and easy to get in and out of. Mine is at least 20 years old. It seems to be in perfect shape, but I wonder if it is still all it was designed to be. Has it deteriorated with age like I have?
I went out to shoot my bow for the first time since hunting season last September. The first two times I tried to draw it, it would not come back. It did not stiffen up in the off season and even though I pull it back regularly, there was something different this time. Anyway I was hitting well enough when I finally got things to work.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree stand safety

Postby Jhg » 06 03, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I will be doing a brief tutorial on anchor systems we use in the tree biz that can be easily modded to tree stand access, egress and etc.

The main thing is unless you are securely tied in to a secure anchor point (this can be an easily movable anchor) you are not safe. And a lanyard that loops around a tree and back to your saddle/vest is not an anchor.

Also, as I have been learning about my climbing stand, several have mentioned that if the bottom section somehow falls to the ground you are screwed because then you are stranded. WHAT??

Always, ALWAYS have enough climbing line as part of the anchor system to lower yourself to the ground if somehow your ladder, sticks, the bottom half of a climber are not of use. 25' of rated line is not too bulky or heavy.
Jhg