Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Saddles

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Saddles

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2024 •  [Post 1]

Hunting saddles and around major breaks or obstacles like ponds or rock outcrops can be productive. They also are a challenge. Saddles can be wide so that setting a stand up at any one location will mean elk can go by out of your shooting range. The elk will not necessarily follow close to the edge of a rock wall or clear-cut line. Scouting can give you some idea where your best tree stand location will be. It will put the odds in your favor, but what do you hunters look for?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Saddles

Postby Lefty » 02 25, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Moo cow trails are often good indicators for most animal travelways. Preditor or prey

In the area I hunt often the high ridge is also a place elk travel
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 27, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Hunting in a ridge saddle or anywhere else should be based on-the-ground evidence. If the evidence suggests elk or deer are using a saddle, then hang a stand there. If a spot looks good then check to see if you had a large number of elk go there once or if it is frequent and recurring. There are several indicators. Different ages of tracks and feces can be all you need to see. Rubs along a trail can be another sign. Bulls don't stop and rub every sapling. They hit one then move on. If a bull is going along a trail frequently, he may hit several saplings but on different days. Pf coarse a trail camera can pin things down if you want even more information. Next to water holes, I like saddles well.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 28, 2024 •  [Post 4]

I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about using saddles more this year…i really like sitting water on a traveling trail but I might switch it up some this year
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2024 •  [Post 5]

I have always preferred water holes where I have hunted, but in some places with abundant water, saddles may prove to be better.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 02 29, 2024 •  [Post 6]

I've always preferred saddles, especially moderately timbered saddles, when hunting pressured ground. Animals move through them frequently when pushed and feel relatively comfortable if there is a little cover. One saddle here in WA where we used to mule deer hunt was good for a couple bucks a year.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 04 01, 2024 •  [Post 7]

True or not?,,, elk seem to water after dark
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 02, 2024 •  [Post 8]

Based on trail camera observations and my own experience I would say they water somewhat more in the daylight hours. The best time to be at water is late afternoon and evening, but don't count out the morning and early afternoon. I go to camp around noon for lunch and to prepare for the evening hunt. Based on Murphy's law, that is when the trophy bull will stop by my stand.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 18, 2024 •  [Post 9]

From my trail camera studies over the years I would say I have more pictures in the daytime then in the dark…also this depends on the location…a wallow in a meadow area I get more pictures at night…in the trees and traveling routes I get more in the mornings and evenings with some in the middle of the day. I definitely get some in the dark in these areas but usually they are within and hour of sun up or sun down as the elk are moving at those times
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 04 19, 2024 •  [Post 10]

Well maybe I need to clarify a bit. Dry areas elk tend to water more in the dark.
Lefty