Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Right Tree Stand Height

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Right Tree Stand Height

Postby Swede » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 1]

First a big shout out to RJ for starting this forum. I really hope it will be helpful to some, and can give hunters a better opportunity to fill their tags. I am primarily an elk hunter, but hunting deer from a tree is generally huge in comparison. Hopefully we will all get some good tips here.

I always have something on my mind when it comes to Elk hunting. For me that is mostly (90+%) tree stand hunting.
Today I have been mulling over what is the best tree stand height. Even though elk is my query, I will shoot a buck deer if a good one is available. I normally go at least 20 feet up, and occasionally over 30 feet. Some successful hunters habitually go only 10 feet to 12 feet up. Where I hunt, that would surely decrease your opportunity to shoot elk.
There are only two significant advantages I know of for getting up high in a tree.
#1 You get your scent off the ground, and if you are high up enough, even with a downdraft, your scent will not hit the ground nearby.
#2 You are not as likely to be spotted. Unlike Whitetails, elk don't look up often. Even if you are on a hill or mountain side, elk can only be at eye level or above on one side. You can go up into some branches, camo. yourself in, or place your stand on the back side of the tree.
I have found other reasons to go high, such as shooting opportunity, hiding in a canopy, or observing surrounding territory, but it seems those things are rarely a significant advantage.

What do you think about this matter, what are you hunting, and how high do you normally go?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Right Tree Stand Height

Postby ishy » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Started for bears, but do elk and deer out of stands too. I like 20-25' seems like it get you out of eyesight, helps scent, and once you hit about 30' your angle into both lung starts to shrink quickly if you go much higher.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Indian Summer » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Swede you got your very own forum! :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys. I still don't know if I should be happy or terrified. I really hope people will engage, and even challenge me on things. By doing that you will get a deeper understanding of how conclusions were made. Also we may find a better way for doing things. I am glad there are others with experience and insights to share. As anyone that has been around these forums know, I will challenge you if we are not in sync. That surely does not mean you are wrong. I just have not seen what you have seen, or had different results. We should all be thankful that all big game animals, especially elk, are not the same, and the areas they inhabit are not a carbon copy of the others.

P.S. To my discredit, I am not much of a picture taker. I hope others are, and you will share them with your posts.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I have to side with Swede that 20ft is usually my minimum height. That being said I had to set up a tree in may that is maybe 13-14ft at most, due to only tree in the saddle I scouted. We will see.
Scoutman