Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Species For Tree Stands

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Species For Tree Stands

Postby Swede » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Where I hunt in eastern Oregon Ponderosa pine and Douglas- fir are, in my opinion, by far the best tree species to hang a stand in. I like the PP as it is easier to screw steps into. I have never seen any real damage to PP or DF due to placing removable screws in them. Other species can be pitchy, and it seems some true firs will die off in a few years after being used for stands. Douglas-fir can be pitchy on occasion, but are usually not too bad. I have had no other real issues with PP or DF. In a pinch I will use a Lodgepole pine, but tall ones with sufficient diameter to be stable, are rare. A true fir will be used only as a last resort.
What species do you prefer, and where do you hunt?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Species For Tree Stands

Postby GobbleFarmer » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I like oaks! But sometime an acorn finds my head, and thats not cool. For me, since I hunt from mostly ladder stands on private property, whatever kind of tree that is large enough and in the right spot works! I had to rip out a hang on stand that this red oak had almost grown around the back of the stand, after hours of whacking it with a hammer, I realized how tough red oaks are.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby CurlyTail » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Most of my hunt area is burned. I would love to hang a treestand, but all the big Ponderosa have burned! I have thought about a ladder stand leaning against a big dead Ponderosa, but even this makes me nervous that the tree may not be strong enough.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Swede » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Curly, I agree that dead trees are no place to hang a stand. I see them in different areas, and apparently hunters get away with it, but I would rather stay on the ground. Maybe you can find a good spot for a ground blind. Just don't locate it where a snag will fall on you..
Swede

Postby IdahoD » 11 26, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I'll tell you that cottonwoods are NOT the best tree for treestands. Thick bark that sheds easily, they grow as about as straight as Freddy mercury with a handkerchief around his neck, and they're always tipping over. Unfortunately that's the only tree where I whitetail hunt. I've had some interesting treestand setups...
IdahoD

First Name: Austin
Last Name: Dahl

Postby Deanmac » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I went on my first hunt this year in Colorado, I climbed a Aspen tree near a water hole in my ol man climber. Being from GA that was my first experience climbing an Aspen but it worked fine. Very Stable, That was really my only opinion where I wanted to hunt.
Deanmac

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I have never sat in an Aspen. I would think they were a good option if they are large enough to be stable and they are not dead. I won't sit in any dead tree.
Swede

Postby Deanmac » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:I have never sat in an Aspen. I would think they were a good option if they are large enough to be stable and they are not dead. I won't sit in any dead tree.

live tree about 18'' in diameter, very stable and smelled good after the stand bite into the bark. lol
Deanmac

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I hate pitchy trees. I don't suppose that is any problem with Aspen.
Dean have you or has anyone else had stand problems dealing with tree lean? Sometimes the best tree in an area, as far as location is concerned, just leans wrong. You can turn the stand, but then it is faced in the wrong direction. I have stands that are easier to adjust than others, but still it takes effort the get it right. The hardest I have found are those trees that lean over your stand.
Swede

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Here is my description of the perfect tree to hang a stand in.
1. The tree is alive, with no rot, and stands straight or slightly leans back.
2. The diameter at stump height is about 22 inches, and at about 25 feet up it is 14-16 inches.
3. The tree should be 15-30 yards from the target location. Too close and the shot will be down at an angle, greater than is preferred. I will shoot straight down if needed, but prefer a different angle.
4. I hate pitch!
5. Being back in some cover, to make it harder for the critter to see the hunter's outline is very beneficial.
6. Ponderosa pine is favored, but Douglas-fir is fine too. Douglas-fir can be harder to screw a step into, and can be more pitchy.
7. The tree has a constant supply of big bulls and bucks that come by it, during the season, and within shooting hours. Fussy, fussy for sure. I am still looking for this tree.

What else?
Swede

Postby Deanmac » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:.
Dean have you or has anyone else had stand problems dealing with tree lean? Sometimes the best tree in an area, as far as location is concerned, just leans wrong. You can turn the stand, but then it is faced in the wrong direction. I have stands that are easier to adjust than others, but still it takes effort the get it right. The hardest I have found are those trees that lean over your stand.

The climber I used this year was an olman vision, you can sit with back to tree or facing tree, this really helps when the best tree you can find is leaning the wrong way. The Aspen I referred to, was leaning toward the way I wanted to shot so, I faced the tree, and could have used the tree as a prop for shooting.

I am 61 and during this elk hunt was the first time I had used a climber in years, on the hunting club I manage in GA we have a bunch of shooting houses and double ladders that stay in the woods year round. I have to admit the I really don't like using the climbers anymore, I will probably try to find a lite weight ladder before I go west again. I did a little research yesterday and saw a few aluminum ladder s" BBK folding (out of stock)" and "Leverage 5200" I also liked the millennium L-100 but it was on the heavy side. Anyone have a suggestion on a good versatile stand to use for ELK?
Deanmac

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 12]

By far, my favorite is the Millennium M100. It is a hang-on and the easiest I have found to adjust. The reason it is easier is because you only take the hanger up the tree at first. Since you only have a chain and receiver, about one pound, you can move it around to the point that works best. Also the M100 has a large deck to stand and shoot from.
Swede

Postby Scoutman » 07 23, 2016 •  [Post 13]

Where I hunt it's mostly juniper, cedar and pine with a few aspen around. Most spots are pine, couple in aspen. Pine is pitchy but not like Ga pines. You can wash it off with soap and water.
Scoutman